Help me find points of interest on a road trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a bit over 2 months, I'm going to be heading from Lexington KY to somewhere in/near Portland OR. It's going to be a most likely permanent move, but I will only have a few things in my car since I have family also moving out there (from another location).

I have no issue with seeing things in Kentucky, even though they might only be a half hour from where I am. I've already seen churchill, woodford reserve, and all the horse farms I care to see. I was also at the breeders cup last year.

I'd like to minimize my sightseeing time for more minor attractions like nature (e.g. mountains, waterfalls, etc) to a quick stretch, relax, and photo shoot. For more time consuming attractions like restaurants, zoos, museums, etc I'd be willing to spend maybe up to a couple hours out of the car. If there's something that's worth it, I may be willing to spend the better part of a day, but just once on the trip.

I'm also open to suggestions to make the road trip more fun with just me or maybe me and another person. I'll be taking my time, finding hotels when it feels appropriate to check in for the night, so nothing is a particularly big hurry. Also I can get like 33% better mpg going at/below speed limit as opposed to when I'm in a hurry and just trying to get from a to b.

Taking all advice on attractions, general tips, etc. Anything you got!

And yes, I'm going to change my oil before this trip because I anticipate hitting my 5000 oci just before I leave.

Last edited:
You can use google maps to map out a route. Click on the two little arrows in the bottom right and then scroll along your route and some landmarks, parks, and attractions will pop up.

Sounds like a great trip!

I've lived in MT since 2012. If you're willing to take a somewhat more northern path, there are a bunch of things relatively close to your path to Oregon.

There is Mt Rushmore, and the Crazy Horse Monument(still under construction) in NW South Dakota, nearby is Sturgis. Then there's Devil's Tower N.M. in the NE corner of Wyoming.

From there you could go through Billings, MT and head west to Red Lodge. From Red Lodge there's highway 212 with fantastic views over high mountain passes, then you'd make it to Yellowstone.

With a further diversion you could take in Glacier National Park, in the NW corner of MT, but it's a goodly way from Yellowstone.

Along the way there are numerous Lewis and Clarke Museums, notably in Great Falls MT along the river (and also the world's shortest river is in Great Falls at the same location).

Route 90 heads West through Missoula MT, Coeur d'Alene Idaho, another very pretty drive on the interstate.

Summer is the perfect time to go; in June you could still see snow in some of these locations but it won't last very long.

Can't recommend too much. Keep an eye out for the potato trucks in Oregon and Idaho, they're interesting rigs.

Eat at local places. My father would have recommended restaurants that were favored by older folks as they had a lot of (life) experience eating and were often on a budget. He felt it was an indicator of good food at a reasonable price.

Pack water, snacks and music, lots of music (but you should know that).

Enjoy the trip.

Assuming you will be taking I-80 into Utah, and then connecting to I-84 all the way into Portland? If yes, here are a couple suggestions.

In Wyoming, you may want to stop to stretch your legs and get a meal at Little America. It's kind of cool. A commercial rest stop that is a little city all in and of itself.

If it is meal time when you get to the I-80 / I-84 junction, a local favorite for travelers is Taggart's Grill off of I-84 exit 108 just before Morgan, UT. GOod food. In fact it's a destination for a lot of weekend motorcycle ride groups.

Are you an outdoors person? If yes, you may want to stop at the Browning factory outlet store in Morgan, UT.

Once you get into the Gorge that follows the Columbia River, there is all kinds of gorgeous stops, such as waterfalls, fish hatcheries, fish ladders on the dams, the Vista House on Crown Point. But many of these are not convenient to simply get off of I-84 just to stretch your legs. Multnomah Falls is a must see, but depending on the day of week and time of day, it may not be an easy stop.

You may reserve a lot of the stops in the Gorge for after you have moved to Portland.

Lolo Pass: US12 between Missoula, MT and Lewistown, Idaho is one of the best 2 lane highways over the Rockies.

...full of switchbacks for fun driving through beautiful country....look for hot springs along the way.

From Lewistown take 12 to the I-82 link to I-84 and down the Columbia to Portland.

Last edited:
If you take I-80, don't speed around Lincoln, Kerney, Ogalala, NE
If you take I-90, don't speed anywhere in SD, especially in the construction area in central SD.

Originally Posted By: stockrex

I live a couple hours north of this area and this is very true, the state patrol watch that stretch 24/7. The main reason is its the half way point from the east and west coast, a lot of money and drugs changing hands.

On the other had you should get good gas milage on I-80, pretty flat.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
It all depends on what your interests are. I like taking the back roads and just enjoy driving through the small towns.
Getting off the interstate is really the first step. A lot more to look at and a lot less stress. Many times you'll be on lightly traveled four lane roads.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
If you take I-90, don't speed anywhere in SD, especially in the construction area in central SD.

Noted

Keep any suggestions incoming. Some general road trip advice would be excellent. This is probably going to end up being nearly a week depending on how far I feel like driving every day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
If your going thru Omaha (I-80) and have some time there is the Henry Doorly Zoo. Its hard to see it all in a weekend but to me the best part is the aquarium and would only take few hours.

http://www.omahazoo.com/exhibits/aquarium/

I love zoos! I'll add it to the list.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Tripadvisor should be full of good ideas.

Problem is I haven't settled on the route yet, I'm asking here mainly so I can set my route up. If I set the most direct route I'd be very limited in my options for seeing stuff along the way.

Last edited:
If you decide to go thru Omaha I wouldn't take I-80 thru Nebraska, just not much to see. i would head up I-29 until you get to I-90 West, eventually you will run into the Black Hills National Forest, Mt Rushmore, Deadwood and as another poster mentioned Sturgis. Since you're headed that way might as well see Yellowstone, just don't sleep in the cloths you eat in if you camp there. That's as far west as I've been, someone else will have to guide you the rest of the way.

Take a camera!

I-70 through Colorado and Utah or I-90 would take you through more dramatic roadside scenery than most of I-80.

On the I-70 route, a loop off the highway to Moab, Utah, would be worth it for the drive alone, but there are several roadside points of interest like petroglyphs and dinosaur tracks near town, plus Arches National Park. I always stop at Back of Beyond Books and a local photographer's gallery on the main drag.

From I-90, a nice backroad stretch would be to get off at Buffalo and cross the Big Horns. You could soak in the bath house at Hot Springs State Park in Thermopolis, and then make your way over to the Tetons and into Idaho to pick up I-15 and I-84. Most scenery in Teton National Park is of the drive-by variety, although you can get out and stretch your legs plenty if you want.

The Buffalo Bill Historical Center is worth a visit if you find yourself in Cody, Wyoming. There's also Carhenge, outside Alliance in the Nebraska panhandle. That's closest to I-80, but still way off the interstate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back