Help me decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '01 Sierra with a GM 5.3L. With this bieng a LS1 drivative, I'm looking to run a little thicker oil in it. I only use the truck about 10K miles/year, so it sits a lot as well. I will change the oil twice/year. I was planning on using Rotella T Synthetic 5w-40. However, I'm wondering if I would be better off going with Mobil 1 0w-40? Just to complicate things, I was at AZ this evening and found a whole row of GC. Another point of concern is that this truck gets started just to move it out of the way in the garage, only to be turned off in the driveway and then restarted to move it back in. It does see highway driving when it is driven. What would be best for my truck. I plan on keeping it around for many years and miles.

M1 10w30 would be better. If you are stuck on the 5w40 bit then go with Delvac.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 8100 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 84500 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

Yeah, I'd go with the 5W-30 since you are talking a lot of short moving without getting the engine fully warmed up or extended highway driving. Plus, where you are at, you would want to go with the at least a 5W or maybe a 0W when winter hits and your still doing the car shuffle. That's what I'm using in my 5.4l Ford and like it. Also will help if you get the dreaded piston slap that some GM engines acquire. I had cold knock until I went with M1 5W-30. Made a huge difference.

Those are the reasons I was thinking about Mobil 1 0w-40. I get the 0w at start-up and the 40, which the LS1 seems to like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back