Help Me Decide Which Castrol Product

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend is coming up to visit with her 2009 Honda Fit. I will be doing a free basic 60k service on the car (I.e. oil change, air filter, cabin filter and Gumout Regane HM cleaner only) for her but I cannot decide which oil to install.

The car has the Maintenance Minder system and it will usually recommend a service at about 10k. She's currently jobless so she will probably run whatever I put in until the computer says it is time for a service. Previously it has been on a diet of bulk dealer 5w-20 every 5-10k.

Autozone has Edge w/Syntec and a Bosch Premium filter for $23, or Edge w/Titanium and a M1 filter for $28. I will probably go with 5w-20. Can't decide which choice to go with, not because of cost, but because I am confused on the differences between the two oils. Any ideas on the differences?

Other oil options are also welcome but they must be limited to local on-sale choices in qt bottles (no jugs) and the cost of oil and premium filter must total less than $30.

Thanks.

I'd look for a deal on a Pennzoil Synthetic product. IMO Castrol killed a great product, Edge, with the new SN formulation. That's JMO, but others seem to feel the same way, that's if the PDS sheets mean anything. I'm using up my stash and moving on to another brand.

Don't understand the no 5 QT jug issue. I would get PP and spend the rest on Bosch D+ or M1 filter. I for one would not choose oil by whats on sale. I might buy some extra of what I want if its on sale, but my main oil stash is on the Walmart shelves.

Originally Posted By: bodeh6
Just go with EDGE W/Ti. Its rated longer and should last longer.

+1.

Id be a bit wary of doing too much for free, even if a charity case. Dont want it to become expected.

Nothing agianst your friend but if your doing everything for free i'd use whatever is cheapest. Isn't the OLM calculated for dino oil? Use a good quality dino oil, or if you really want a synthetic use whatever you can find on sale. The auto part stores usually have an oil/filter special going on for a fair price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
Why does it have to be a Castrol product? The Honda 0w20 is cheap and proven.

Because that is what Autozone has on sale.

O'Reilly only has Valvoline products on sale.

+1 I still have a stash of the old gold jug SM Edge. I have also picked up gallons of clearance oil from Kmart.... Edge with Syntec in SM, GF-4. I plan to blend this Edge with Syntec 50/50 with Castrol Tection 15w-40 next summer.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd look for a deal on a Pennzoil Synthetic product. IMO Castrol killed a great product, Edge, with the new SN formulation. That's JMO, but others seem to feel the same way, that's if the PDS sheets mean anything. I'm using up my stash and moving on to another brand.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: bodeh6
Just go with EDGE W/Ti. Its rated longer and should last longer.

+1.

Id be a bit wary of doing too much for free, even if a charity case. Dont want it to become expected.

I ended up buying Castrol Edge with Titanium 5w-20 and a M1 filter. I blame buster for convincing me on the phone while I was in the autogroan parking lot. :lol:

So, this favor is going to end up costing me a bit more than originally planned-- $84 for everything, but a true BITOGer understands the importance of using high-quality parts, even for free work.

2011-10-20_19-12-06_514.jpg

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Nothing agianst your friend but if your doing everything for free i'd use whatever is cheapest. Isn't the OLM calculated for dino oil? Use a good quality dino oil, or if you really want a synthetic use whatever you can find on sale. The auto part stores usually have an oil/filter special going on for a fair price.

I just prefer to do the job right. It helps me sleep better at night. Hence why I went with super premium oil and dealer filters.

It looks like you are doing a great service for someone in need. I completely disagree with anyone who says Castrol does not make a good product anymore. They may not be someones preferred brand, but good none the less. I commend you sir on your generosity.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Because that is what Autozone has on sale.

O'Reilly only has Valvoline products on sale.

Critic,
If it hasn't been mentioned already, there is a Castrol rebate floating around the "Product Rebates, Sales, Promo" section for $7 off of 5 qts of Castrol GTX & EDGE(allowed 2 per/household) and the rebate is good til the end of Dec. 31st 2011.

I have tried a "search" for this rebate again and have come up empty as I wanted to post a link. Although, I have printed several back in September(along with QS Rebates & Purolator Rebates) that I can share with you and get them out in the mail to you Critic if you also come up empty.

And I too commend you for your generous service to your friend and if I can help in this way(rebate forms), I am happy to do so.

CB

Last edited:
Thanks CB, I actually just mailed off that $7 rebate on the 5 qt of EDGE.

Exactly, although I do much prefer the Toyota Brand 0W-20.
Nothing else, including any Castrol product, has the same optimized viscosity.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Exactly, although I do much prefer the Toyota Brand 0W-20.
Nothing else, including any Castrol product, has the same optimized viscosity [as TM's 0W-20].

Unless, as is much more likely now, HMC's 0W-20 turns out to be Honda's COP 0W-20, not Idemitsu's. Moreover, because this is a Honda engine, it really doesn't matter what brand of oil the OP runs in it.

Last edited:
He was using Castrol for the price/rebate. Castrol is probably the last oil I would use.

Originally Posted By: buster
He was using Castrol for the price/rebate. Castrol is probably the last oil I would use.

Not to pick on you Buster, but I'm not feeling the love for Castrol in this thread.
grin.gif

For everyone who dislikes the stuff for one reason or another, there's someone who posts a Castrol 0W-20 UOA like this one:

Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
Example of a very good 0w20 UOA just posted

This is my latest run using Castrol Syntec (SM version) on my 2006 Lincoln Mark LT (Lincoln version of an F-150) during the past 7 months. Previous run was Valvoline Synpower. Oil was changed to Quaker State U.D. 0W20. Comments are welcome and appreciated.
Comments from Blackstone Labs were as follows: We were hoping for lower wear metals, and that's what we found-sort of. Iron improved nicely and the other wear metals essentially held steady. Iron typically tracks with time on the oil, so it's certainly unusual to see it lower after a longer run, but it's nothing to complain about. All in all, this engine appears to be in great shape at 74868 miles. No fuel or coolant was present and air and oil filtration couldn't be much better. The TBN was strong at 2.6 showing plenty of active additive, less than 1.0 is considered a low reading. Try 7,000 miles on the next oil.

Code:
Miles on Oil: 4713 2773
Miles on Unit:74868 70155
Sample Date: 10/17/2011 03/11/2011
Make up oil: 0.0 0.0

Aluminum 2 2
Chromium 1 3
Iron 10 16
Copper 2 2
Lead 0 0
Tin 3 0
Molybdenum 71 13
Nickel 0 0
Manganese 0 0
Silver 0 0
Titanium 1 0
Potassium 2 0
Boron 5 8
Silicon 12 8
Sodium 61 299
Calcium 1858 1899
Magnesium 9 10
Phosphorus 570 694
Zinc 661 820
Barium 0 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210 55.7 53.6
cST Viscosity @ 100 8.97 8.37
Flashpoint 415 410
Fuel Antifreeze 0 0
Water 0 0
Insolubles 0.2 0.4
TBN 2.6 4.1
TAN

Consequently, IMHO, unless the OP is seeking to out run the Peugeots 908s down the Mulsanne straight in his Honda Fit, his 1500cc motor will do just fine on Castrol's 0W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back