Help me decide: PP HM vs Edge HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I decided I'm gonna try a full synthetic high mileage oil for the first time. I've run standard flavor M1 in the past and I've run Mobil Special and Super 5000 in my car for the past two years, so I'm sick of Mobil and want to try something new.

I liked PYB in my old truck but I've also really liked GTX in other vehicles. Decided it's gonna be PP HM or Edge HM.

My question is, how good are Pennzoil's pure plus natural gas derived base stocks now? Is this something that actually makes a difference? Seems like the current line of Pennz synthetics actually gets less love around here than the old Ultra before the change. Is that justified?

Help me decide.

I've used M1 and PYB before. Currently running PPPP in my 2015 Caravan.

It's a good oil at a good price especially in Canada.

Give it a try and see if you like it.

PPHM is thinner for grade while Edge HM is thicker for grade. So maybe if you're leaking go with the Edge HM and if not go with the PPHM.

We ran the PPHM 5w30 over the summer in an 08 CX-9 that calls for 5w20 in hopes to help fight high lead numbers. We wanted to go thicker and felt more comfortable with the "thinner" PPHM (which is actually thinner than PP and PUP). Butt Dyno results were great, quiet and smooth. No UOA though.

Savage, I am leaking a bit so it sounds like Edge is the better choice for me then. Thanks for the info. I know GTX HM has always been on the thick side for any given grade so I guess it's no surprise that Edge HM runs thicker too.

I'm running PPHM in two cars at the moment. Dipstick in my Infiniti still reads full after 2,000 miles of chiefly highway driving. It would be a quart low by now with other synthetics.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I'm running PPHM in two cars at the moment. Dipstick in my Infiniti still reads full after 2,000 miles of chiefly highway driving. It would be a quart low by now with other synthetics.

OK that's impressive. Hmmm...

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
PPHM is thinner for grade while Edge HM is thicker for grade. So maybe if you're leaking go with the Edge HM and if not go with the PPHM.

We ran the PPHM 5w30 over the summer in an 08 CX-9 that calls for 5w20 in hopes to help fight high lead numbers. We wanted to go thicker and felt more comfortable with the "thinner" PPHM (which is actually thinner than PP and PUP). Butt Dyno results were great, quiet and smooth. No UOA though.

Is PPHM thinner for grade throughout the offered viscosities, or just in the 5w30?
Is Valvoline Full Syn with Maxlife thicker for grade throughout all viscosities, or just in 5w30? I've been wondering on both because I've seen these two facts mentioned multiple times, but always in context of 5w30.

Originally Posted By: lukejo

Is PPHM thinner for grade throughout the offered viscosities, or just in the 5w30?
Is Valvoline Full Syn with Maxlife thicker for grade throughout all viscosities, or just in 5w30? I've been wondering on both because I've seen these two facts mentioned multiple times, but always in context of 5w30.

That's a good point, and I'd like to add that whichever one I choose I will be going with 5W-20.

Originally Posted By: lukejo

PPHM is thinner for grade throughout all viscosity and Valvoline Synthetic w/ Maxlife Technology is thicker for grade throughout all viscosities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back