Help me decide on new tires for my truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Chevy s10 2wd. Tire size is 205/75/15. I am looking at the Cooper Discover HT and the General Grabber at2. I live in Wisconsin, cold snowyy winters and nice summers. I take the truck ice fishing a few times a year, I try to avoid the really bad lakes where you absolutely need 4wd (borrow FIL's f150 if I go places like that). Most of the time I am on paved roads. Between the two options I am looking at I want something that is good in the snow and ice and also good on dry pavement. Thoughts?

Unless your absolutely stuck between those two, Wrangler radials are a great tire and not much $$$

Otherwise i'd probably go with the Cooper

I may be wrong but I seem to remember Goodyear only makes the Wrangler Radial in one size, which is a 235/75R15. I read online they did that to offer a replacement tire to Ford Explorer owners back when the Explorer tire problem was going on.

Still a 235 on an S-10 would do fine, give a wider contact patch, more stable and comfortable ride, and better traction wet or dry. I had a 2004 Chevy Colorado, bought it brand new in 2004 and it had 205's on it from the factory. One of the first things I did was swap out the 205 Generals for 235/75R15 Michelin LTX. The difference in ride quality was night and day. Traction, handling and braking were improved as well.

I see a lot of Goodyear Wranglers on smaller trucks and SUV's around here so it must be a decent tire. I remember getting a quote for my Dakota on a set of Wrangler Radials for $380.00 out the door, but I did not buy them. My favorite truck tire is the Firestone Destination LE2. I have a set of LE2's on my Dakota now and it is a great tire. I am sure the Destination AT is a good tire for Wisconsin. Firestone has a 25% off deal now through the 30th too:

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com...015&print=1

There are a lot of choices for tires, so you will get lots of different opinions. Tire Rack has good reviews on just about every tire known to man.

General A/T 2's are great tires. Had them on my last truck, they worked great in snow. I rarely used 4 wheel drive, and they were probably 40-50% when I sold the truck. I know driving in snow as I plow early in the morning, definetly would suggest them even if you had more options.

The Generals that came on my Colorado were Ameri-Star or something like that. It was ten years ago but I remember they were just OK, nothing to get excited about. When I got the LTX's I put an ad in the local shopper paper and sold the Generals for $100.00.

Originally Posted By: bprat318
I have a Chevy s10 2wd. Tire size is 205/75/15. I am looking at the Cooper Discover HT and the General Grabber at2. I live in Wisconsin, cold snowyy winters and nice summers. I take the truck ice fishing a few times a year, I try to avoid the really bad lakes where you absolutely need 4wd (borrow FIL's f150 if I go places like that). Most of the time I am on paved roads. Between the two options I am looking at I want something that is good in the snow and ice and also good on dry pavement. Thoughts?

Sure. Get Blizzaks. You live in Wisconsin. Why screw around with anything else, except some other really solid snow tires. That also means that in summer you can get proper road tires. Not half-baked all-season radials. Proper road tires.

Remember, the Blizzaks are free. If you weren't wearing them out you would be wearing out other tires. You have a minor inconvenience of storing and changing the tires, but in this day and age you won't be caught short on changing them at the right time if you keep an eye on the long range weather forecast. That is, if you have your wits about you you will be able to change them out the weekend before the bad weather sets in.

Last edited:
I'm not big on Cooper or General, but would take the General of those 2. I'd lean Michelin or Firestone Dest A/T or similar.

As posted I'd get some Blizzacks once Nov hits. You can find an eBay seller who will sell you 2 Winter tires, wheels too. I do Blizzacks for the heart of Winter even with a 4x4.

Well, it is not only a matter of tire brand but also on the pressure applied. In winter season, it is usually not advisable to apply higher pressures since tires usually expand when subjected to sudden temperature rise. As we all know, PV=nRT (Ideal Gas Eq), with higher pressure it is also expected that temperature is high. With that, the temperature difference from the surrounding and the tire will be great. Using my Mountaincrest Digital Tire Gauge, I usually set my tire pressure at around 35 PSI during winter, but in summer time, I usually set it higher than that.

My truck came used with 1/2 worn wranglers that were very poor on wet roads.

I'll second the LE2's as a terrific truck tire for roads. I haven't tried them in the snow but they are very good on cold, wet pavement and are well-siped. for a while they outranked the michelins on tire rack. I have 20,000 on mine, including hard towing, and they are wearing well.

They are not effective in wet mud or wet grass, but they aren't supposed to be. well-siped, so might be reasonable in snow.

m

Originally Posted By: meep
My truck came used with 1/2 worn wranglers that were very poor on wet roads.

I'll second the LE2's as a terrific truck tire for roads. I haven't tried them in the snow but they are very good on cold, wet pavement and are well-siped. for a while they outranked the michelins on tire rack. I have 20,000 on mine, including hard towing, and they are wearing well.

They are not effective in wet mud or wet grass, but they aren't supposed to be. well-siped, so might be reasonable in snow.

m

The GY Wrangler Radials have been around forever ... since before I was born, I believe. They aren't a particularly great tire, but they have been around forever.

If I end up buying another stock Cherokee, I'm going to use those just for nostalgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back