Help me decide - new sedan get the 6 cyl or the 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I've ordered a new car for the first time in my life, been saving and waiting for a long time for this one. Going to pay cash. The car will be ready in 6 weeks, or 10 weeks if I choose to upgrade to the 8 cyl.

Anyhow, this car is a mid sized sedan that's available with 2 different 6 cylinder options and one 8 cylinder option. I'd like the make and model of the car to remain irrelevant because it would really help me for this discussion to give me guidance on the 6 vs. 8 decision: only, and not to devolve into the merits of this car vs. that car.

If the group would indulge me in this, here goes. I really want the 8 cylinder because I am a car fanatic, I would love the performance, and it is the car I have been waiting for. It would be the last v8 I will likely own. It would cost a little extra over the 6 cyl model. The 6 cylinder is the more prudent choice, even though I'm spending way more on transportation than needed to meet my needs.

I think it comes down to 2 areas of concern.
1. Fuel economy; and
2. resale.

Fuel economy:

The 8, according to fueleconomy.org gets 16 CTY/ 24HWY/ 18 Combined. A little worse than our Honda minivan, plus this car needs premium. Those are EPA numbers and people aren’t really doing much better. Although, this is an enthusiast car and they’re not keeping their feet out of the throttle is my guess.

The 6 gets 19 CTY/ 29HWY/ 23 Combined. Those are EPA numbers and people are doing better. Really quite good.

If I plug in the peak prices for fuel we saw about 2 winters ago, I think the difference in fuel price is about $1,200 year. What worries me is that fuel's going to go up, by how much I don't know.

Resale
The 6 cyl has way better resale than the 8 cyl model. I think this is because used car buyers are economy minded, and the 8 cyl model is less economical. On the other hand, the 6 cyl used to have almost the same performance as the 8, and was available in AWD where the 8 wasn’t. Now that AWD playing field has been leveled. I have ordered and would get the AWD either with the 8 or the 6. The v8 now blows the 6 cyl out of the water from a performance standpoint. So you do actually get something for putting up with the fuel economy penalty from the 8.

The difference in fuel won’t make an impact on our family. Resale has been suggested to me to be a 4% difference after 3 years. I keep my cars a long time. This is a once in a lifetime purchase for me, so I intend to keep this one at least 8 years. My next car will likely be something more sensible like a nice Accord V6 or an Acura TL once they’re no longer hideous. That being the case, I’m leaning toward not worrying so much about depreciation, and since this is a once in a lifetime purchase, to do it up right and get the true dream car – the V8.

On the other hand, I’ve been very prudent financially all my life and it’s killing me to make the less financially prudent choice to buy the v8, when I’m already buying a car that’s a big deal for me. Not to mention the fact that the 6cyl version I’ve already ordered is a very good performer by any measure.

I’d really like to hear some thoughts on the case for and against both of the 6 cyl and the 8 cyl. Bear in mind that this is not just a “transportation” purchase, but it will be my daily transportation for 8 years or more.

Fire away, I'd sure appreciate some thoughts here.

We had a v-8 powered sedan for the last 10 years and recently purchased a v-6 to replace it. I was interested to see the differences between the two and I have to say I am sold on the v-6. We would get on a good day around 24-25 on the highway with the 8. Now with the v-6 we will attain 30-31 on the highway. Now that may not seem like much, but consider this: if gas is $3 a gallon the 6 mpg differences translates into a savings of about $240 per year in gasoline (assuming 12000 miles traveled per year with 5 miles per gallon saved at $3 per gallon). For me, the v-6 provides plenty of smooth power with respectable gas mileage. I wouldn't worry too much about resale as either will most likely be a non issue when that time comes.
As a humorous side note, if you decide on the 8 cylinder, you will be increasing the value of my exxon mobil stock.

Go for the six....you'll be glad you did because of the fuel savings (much higher prices in the next few years)....and savings on insurance as well.

Whats the HP/TQ numbers of the V6 vs. the V8? Some of the newer V6's are getting real close in HP/TQ to their V8 counterparts in the same car. And not worth the extra cost in fuel. Also if fuel cost does go way higher in the future, the resale would be alot lower on the V8 model.

Last edited:
Sounds like this is a once in a lifetime thing for you. If so go with your heart and satisfy your inner sanctuary. If you get the V6 and you regret not getting V8, you will hate driving that car for the duration of ownership.

Since you are keeping this car for at least 8 years, resale value won't matter as much since you'll have gotten the most out of the car. After that many years the resale price usually evens out by then.

Think with your heart and satisfy that at least once in your lifetime. We all are entitled to that if money allows us all.

Good luck and let us know what car you are talking about!

How many miles do you drive annualy? BTW, I have a TL and its not ugly at all after the "rhinoplasty" I get a lot of compliments. It has the best AWD system at the moment. Beasts Audi's Quattro which I thought was the best prior to this vehicle. :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: strongt
Whats the HP/TQ numbers of the V6 vs. the V8? Some of the newer V6's are getting real close in HP/TQ to their V8 counterparts in the same car. And not worth the extra cost in fuel. Also if fuel cost does go way higher in the future, the resale would be alot lower on the V8 model.

They're about 100HP apart in both respects.

Fuel economy based resale issues I think will be key. On the other hand, none of these cars are worth much when they're 8 years old. It's more the issue of am I going to want to sell this thing in 5 years on account of driving costs?

Fuel is already $4.12USD a gallon where I live and it was close to $6.00 a gallon a few years ago. That's the everyday low prices in Canada, about 30 miles from the refinery.

I personally like 6-cyl cars over 8-cyl. because I'm leaning towards fuel economy. 6-cyl are also generally less expensive to ensure. However, if this is a sports car (and I mean a good one like BMW or MB) then it would make sense to go with the 8cyl.

Honestly, you'd probably be fine with the 6 cylinders. But since this as you put it "once-in a lifetime purchase" and you REALLY want 8cyl then go for the 8. You don't want to regret or have even a slightest concern about the car if you're planning to keep it for the long time.

Since you're a car enthusiast, you WILL definitely have that voice on the background "... boy... i should have gone for the 8..." Probably a person who is not really into cars or have fuel economy on their mind would be just fine with the 6.

Originally Posted By: deven
Sounds like this is a once in a lifetime thing for you. If so go with your heart and satisfy your inner sanctuary. If you get the V6 and you regret not getting V8, you will hate driving that car for the duration of ownership.

Since you are keeping this car for at least 8 years, resale value won't matter as much since you'll have gotten the most out of the car. After that many years the resale price usually evens out by then.

Think with your heart and satisfy that at least once in your lifetime. We all are entitled to that if money allows us all.

Good luck and let us know what car you are talking about!

How many miles do you drive annualy? BTW, I have a TL and its not ugly at all after the "rhinoplasty" I get a lot of compliments. It has the best AWD system at the moment. Beasts Audi's Quattro which I thought was the best prior to this vehicle. :)

I love the TL, I love the reviews, and I love driving it (my brother has an 09). Just can't get over the look of it or I'd already own the AWD version. We had an 03 TL. The current and previous generations are what I think are the best car in the class for the money. Fantastic vehicle...got a lot of respect for it. If they're still making it in 8 years, it'll likely be my next car.

V8. Better yet, can you get it in a V10?

But in all seriousness, if you're at the place where you are even seriously thinking about the merits of frugality vs driving excitement.... Then you probably ought get the little motor. If you seriously want power and to cherish and love every moment, especially the moments where you bury the throttle, economy be [censored], get the real engine in the beast!!

You seem to be stuck in the same type of analysis paralysis that I would be in. I am a car freak and would want the V8. Of course, I am also frugal, and gas prices will only go up. If an extra $100-200 a month for gas is a concern, stick with the 6. If the extra coin is no concern.... get the 8. are you the type to "regret" getting the 6 when you coulda had a V8?

If it helps, I have (4) V8's in my garage.... alright - I used to have 5 of them; but that Hemi drinks 12 mpg and I was driving 100+ miles a day.....
and you can imagine how much gas my 24' boat consumes

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
You seem to be stuck in the same type of analysis paralysis that I would be in. I am a car freak and would want the V8. Of course, I am also frugal, and gas prices will only go up. If an extra $100-200 a month for gas is a concern, stick with the 6. If the extra coin is no concern.... get the 8. are you the type to "regret" getting the 6 when you coulda had a V8?

If it helps, I have (4) V8's in my garage.... alright - I used to have 5 of them; but that Hemi drinks 12 mpg and I was driving 100+ miles a day.....
and you can imagine how much gas my 24' boat consumes

"Analysis Paralysis" is a perfect term to describe what I'm going through. It usually results in me not buying anything but the 6 cyl is on the way, and my window to get the v8 is shrinking.

Thanks for everyones' advice. All further advice is still appreciated.

I think if this is your lifetime purchase and you want to keep it for long, I would decide based on the reliability rather than just power especially if the v6 also quite powerful.

There is no point to have powerful car that break down often and need to go back to dealer shop for repair.

if 8 is truly your ddream, buy it, as long as the finances won't make you depressed (ie. fuel capital, depreciation)

get the 8. you will regret getting the 6 when the same car pulls up next to you with the 8.

you know you want it. you just need us to tell you to get it.

do it.

do it!

you will thank me later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back