Help me!! Dealer used 5w-30 instead of 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RN89
I just hate the thought of something being in there isn't "supposed" to be.

You are wrong. When this engine debuted in USA, it was speced for 5W30. It was later changed to 5W20 and 0W20. The same engine in RAV4 is still specified for 5W30 to this day.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

You are wrong. When this engine debuted in USA, it was speced for 5W30. It was later changed to 5W20 and 0W20. The same engine in RAV4 is still specified for 5W30 to this day.

The oil cap has 0w-20 on it, and the manual states to use 0w-20, along with the representatives at the Toyota dealership.

So I will follow that.
Thanks for your input though...

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

The oil cap has 0w-20 on it, and the manual states to use 0w-20, along with the representatives at the Toyota dealership.

So I will follow that.
Thanks for your input though...

Still, it doesn't change the fact that you are wrong.

Originally Posted By: uart

Yep, dexo1 5w30 in Texas. That horrible "thick stuff" will wreck the engine for sure. If it were me I'd replace the whole engine, but it's probably worth at least having a go at completely flushing it out first.

- Start by draining and filling with a good 4w28 (get Caterham's advice for blending these intermediate weights).

- Then repeat the process with a 3w26 and again with 2w24 and so on until you get it down to 0w20.

- Make sure you only run it for 15 seconds maximum with each successive flush or God only knows what damage could be done.

- Also, between each flush make sure you polish the dipstick vigorously for at least 30 minutes with Liqui-moly MOS on a lint free rag. This step is vital!

wink.gif

I'm printing this and hangin' it on the wall in case I ever encounter the need for it...

Do you have one for a 5W-20 speced 4.6 Ford that been run only on 5W-30, or can I use the above??

Don't sweat it. Just change it out to either 0w-20 or even 5w-20 next OC.

Out here in So. Cal I don't even bother use the 5W-30 my car requires. I've ran 10W-30 on numerous occasions and NP.

Being that it's so thin, my owners manual says not to use 5W-30 above
60 degrees Fahrenheit - and he's worried about being too thick.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Being that it's so thin, my owners manual says not to use 5W-30 above
60 degrees Fahrenheit - and he's worried about being too thick.
grin2.gif

And I'll bet you're not driving a 2012 Camry ...
33.gif

OP you better stick with 5w30. After running that thick oil through the engine so much wear was created going back to 0w20 will just cause problems.

;-)

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv

I think that's a good move. Your 2012 Camry V6 is spec'd for 0W-20 only: Toyota Oil Chart

Except for all the other countries where it's spec'd for 5W-30...

I'd leave the 5W-30 for at least three or four thousand miles and obsess about more important things in life. It's a syn-blend with a low pour point and excellent additive package. Just wait, then go to the 0W-20 of your choice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back