Help me choose, I am getting cold feet

Status
Not open for further replies.

vvk

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:
Richmond, maybe from Richmond to Fla but traffic this time of the year and police will keep your speed down. Unless you drive from midnight until 6 AM.

That's the plan
biggthumbcoffe.gif
burnout.gif

But you may be right. I no longer drive as fast as I used to
frown.gif

I've seen those comments about 0W- and 5W- oils and I don't really buy into them. Lots and lots of SAABs do just fine on M1 5W-30 which isn't even ACEA A3 rated!

My old turbo SAAB overheated TWICE (of course, it happened while others were borrowing it--never lend your car out!
nono.gif
)--anyhow, it was running M1 5W-30 and the engine survived, totally unscathed--I give a lot of credit to that oil...

And yes, M1 0W-40 will shear, but even after it does, you're still at a much higher viscosity than virgin M1 xW-30.

I agree with the others, you don't need a 50 weight especially because you're not running a turbo, and you should stick with Lubro-moly synthetic since it's served your engine well in the past.

The problems with SAAB engines have been primarily with people using dino or semi-synth oils for 10K and beyond.
shocked.gif

Go with option #2 and have a great trip!

Nothing quite like that "fresh oil change" feeling
grin.gif

I'm using the LM 0w40 for about 2k in my Trooper running mostly at 3k rpm; my mileage is normal but oil consumption is down. I say use this one.

My second choice would be #6 mentioned above but also adding 5oz of #132 or the valvoline engine protector won't be a bad idea, IMO.

[ August 15, 2003, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: pinoy99 ]

vvk,

If it were me, I'd feel much better with fresh oil in the sump. I understand the "highway miles" consideration, but I'd go with a fresh change of Lubro-Moly. It works for you; I don't think you will find the heat too much for it (I've used lighter weight synthetics in abolutely brutal heat and load conditions without problem); I think your chains and tensioners will love cruising on the new oil...and if you don't change, given the fact you are thinking alot about his, you are going to be thinking alot about this...change it and then relax.

[ August 15, 2003, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Hey, quad, mabuti naman. I got the LM from rockymountainworks during clearance - vvk - provided the info back then. I don't think a lot of people carry the 0w40(SJ A3-96) anymore and if they do it's the same price as the 5w40.

VVK, I was in your exact same circumstances this past April. I usually change the oil in my 2.0L Contour every 5,000 mi or 1 year max. We were going to go from North Jersey to the Keys. The oil, Mobil 1 5W-30, had about 2900 miles on it but with almost 3,000 trip miles I would be too far over my "comfortable" 5,000 miles limit. So changed it before the trip and had peace of mind
wink.gif
. Enjoy your trip and watch out for the VA. cops. They're strict. Also in South Carolina on I95 I've seen their cops in Camaros
shocked.gif
!

Whimsey

What's wrong with Mobil 1 10w-30? Isn't it the most stable Mobil 1? Seems ideal for your application. $3.75q

Sounds like the vote is in favour of a Lubro Moly 0W-40 change. Especially since you have lots in stock. Use what you've got, then when your supply is getting low buy whatever is new and exciting.

My vote: Use the Lubro Moly 0w40 & have a nice fresh oil fill for that long trip. After all, you already have the oil & it's paid for- bargain price too!
wink.gif
Besides, might as well get the 0w40 started toward its first UOA. Yes, I admit I'm curious to see UOA's on this oil.
grin.gif

In another month or so, I'll be using the LM 0w40 in my Neon, & temps will still be in the 90's(F).
Don't sweat the summer temps. That's why you paid for good motor oil, right?

quote:

Originally posted by Yuk:
...when your supply is getting low buy whatever is new and exciting.

...and we ALL know what that is don't we? Give me a "G," give me an "E," give me an "R," "mancastrol"...
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

quote:

Originally posted by Yuk:
...when your supply is getting low buy whatever is new and exciting.

...and we ALL know what that is don't we? Give me a "G," give me an "E," give me an "R," "mancastrol"...
grin.gif

Remember: "He ain't no loon who uses the grün!"

OOPS...was supposed to be an edit, not a rerun with a new ending...sorry
pat.gif

[ August 15, 2003, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

First 15W50 M1 is not too thick for this engine. 15W40 is not often encountered in the USA outside of heavy diesel and marine applications especily in a synthetic! Second I would never recomend that someone buy more oil when they already have plenty on hand! IF you have alot of 0W40 oil on hand and it works well for you use that!! I have to admit that I would love to see UOA from LubroMoly 0W40 at 10,000 miles!!! I can not imagine that this oil could hold up that long and not shear down to a 20wt!

I always like to have fresh oil and all maintence items serviced before a long trip! This is especialy the case with an import engine as parts might be hard to find along the way. SO I always check hoses,belts, plugs, wire, cap and rotor where applicable, coolant, brake pads, tire pressure,air filter.......

I used to cary a spare belt, some hose, a spark plug ,cap&rotor, a few wires and some fluids like oil and antifreeze. These iteam all fit in a small gym sized duffle bag. Along with my tools,fuses, duct tape/100mph tape, flash light,lighter, phone card and knife. These items come in handy when you are far from home!!

I am about to make a 2500 mile trip from Philly to S. Florida and back. The car is a non-turbo SAAB 900S with a 2.3l DOHC 16V engine with timing/balance shaft chains. These engines are known to have oil related problems when non-synthetic oil is used for extended intervals. Many have failed recently with worn chain guides/sprokets and clogged oil pickup screens.

I have been using a fully synthetic PAO-base German-made Lubro Moly 5W-40 oil. I have done analysis (see UOA section) and have confidence that this oil can go the distance. I always change at around 10k miles, per owner's manual.

I currently have 8200 miles on this interval. I am getting cold feet about leaving the Lubro Moly in there for the trip and 2 weeks (+600 miles) after the trip until I can change it. Doing so will mean making a high speed long highway run (often 100+ mph) using oil that is on its last leg. My usual commute is about 50% city, so there is some stop and go in the 8200 miles that I have already put on this oil. So you can see why I am hesitant to leave it in there for no good reason other than principle.

So now I have to make a choice as to what to use. I have plenty of Lubro Moly 0W-40, which I am going to use in the car year around. I could just use that. This oil is ACEA A3 rated, so we are talking high TBN and HTHS numbers. However, I am concerned about the high heat of this drive and have second thoughts about using a zero weight oil. I also read some pretty strong comments about not using 0W- and 5W- oils in SAAB engines. The comments are made by SAAB service techs who claim to have seen problems using the thinner oils. They recommend Mobil 1 15W-50 for hot weather and a mixture of 10W-30 and 15W-50 for winter. So I bite and buy a jug of Mobil 1 15W-50 at WalMart. However, I reread my manual and it says:

API SH rated oil. 10W-30/10W-40/5W-30/5W-40 or 15W-40 in summer. No preference as to what weight.

So now I am thinking that maybe I should not use the 15W-50. I am more concerned about the commuting after the trip then any wear during the trip. The 5.11 HTHS number is nice, though. I could just drain it right after the trip but that goes against my synthetic oil principles
grin.gif

Looking at the specs of different oils, I have come up with two more choices. Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 and Castrol GTX HM 10W-40. The Mobil has the recommended viscosity and a nice HTHS of 4.3. I don't have the HTHS number for Castrol but it's viscosity at 100'C is similar to Mobil's, so maybe the HTHS number is not bad.

After thinking it through, I have decided to use Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40. It seems to be the best combination of low cost, good additive package, good comments on this site
wink.gif
and a high HTHS number for long high speed drive in hot summer temps. And I will drain it after putting 3100+ miles on it.

So, the choices are:

1. Leave LM 5W-40 in and drain at about 11300 miles.
2. Use Lubro Moly 0W-40, ACEA A3 rated (HTHS 3.5+)
3. Use Mobil 1 15W-50 for the trip and perhaps leave in for a total of 5000 miles. 5.11 HTHS but not recommended in owner's manual.
4. Use Castrol GTX HM 10W-40 and drain after 3100 miles. Nice viscosity numbers.
5. Use Mobil Delvac 1300 Super for low cost, high HTHS specifically for this trip and drain after 3100 miles.

What would you choose?!
confused.gif

quote:

Originally posted by vvk:
So, the choices are:

1. Leave LM 5W-40 in and drain at about 11300 miles.
2. Use Lubro Moly 0W-40, ACEA A3 rated (HTHS 3.5+)
3. Use Mobil 1 15W-50 for the trip and perhaps leave in for a total of 5000 miles. 5.11 HTHS but not recommended in owner's manual.
4. Use Castrol GTX HM 10W-40 and drain after 3100 miles. Nice viscosity numbers.
5. Use Mobil Delvac 1300 Super for low cost, high HTHS specifically for this trip and drain after 3100 miles.

What would you choose?!
confused.gif

If you've been using a synthetic, there's no way I'd choose 4 or 5. I think 3 is out because I believe 15w50 is just too thick for most driving conditions, including yours. I'd never start a trip on oil that would need changing before I completed the trip, so 1 is out. Ergo...

You've had good service from the LM oil, so I'd just change it and put in the 0w40 and hit the road: #2.

As interstate driving is probably one of the easiest on oil you could easily opt to leave it in until you return. Further, no way you are oing to hit more then 70 from Philly to Richmond, maybe from Richmond to Fla but traffic this time of the year and police will keep your speed down. Unless you drive from midnight until 6 AM.

[ August 15, 2003, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Spector ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back