Help me choose a New oil for my 2001 Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright guys, I will no longer be useing the Schaeffer 10w30 so I need to choose a new oil for my elantra. First of all I have been reading some other forums, and it seems many people are getting better analysis results with thicker oils. I looked in my owners manual, and sure enough Hyundai recommends 10w30 10w40 or 10w50 for any tempurature over -10F. They also recommend 15w50 and 20w50 for above 32F. Many guys on the HyundaiPerformance forum are using Castrol syntec 5w50 and are having good success. Also the few syntec 5w50 analysis results posted here look good as well. I am also considering Mobil 1 15w50, but I am a bit concearned because I live in Northern Ohio, and it gets down to around 0F which is much colder than what Hyundai reccommends the use of a 15w50 oil. I did however notice that Mobil claims their 15w50 pours at -49F which is the same as their 10w30. Ok guys I am looking for your opinions which would you use?

thanks
Nailz

If you're determined to use a Xw50 oil year round, then Mobil 1 15w50 or Castrol Syntec 5w50 are really your only choices. Keep in mind, however, that Syntec has sorry pour point and CCV numbers. I'd use the Mobil 1. (As for conventional oils, there's no way I'd use any conventional 20w50 oil during the winter.)

(I personally would go with the Mobil 1 10w30 year round, BTW.)

Nailz - What prompted your decision to stop using Schaeffer's 10W-30 ?

I'm with G-Man II, use M1 or some other high-end 10W-30 (like Schaeffer's).

Nailz,

So switch to Schaeffer 20W-50 in the Spring and back to 10W-30 in the Fall..or Schaeffer 15W-40 year 'round. If you feel the need to stiffen that up in the Summer, add a pint of Schaeffer's #132.

Ken

No guys, it may sound immature but no shaeffers products for me. After them stepping in and telling BOB he had to leave the site or lose his liscence to sell schaeffers products, I refuse to use their products. I am considering going to the mobil 1 15w50, or the Castrol 5w50. As much negativaty as people always bring about the castrol sytec, its analysis numbers are alway great. I am just worried that the mobil 1 may be too thick for winter starts?

I'd stay with a maximum 10W-xxx for winter and no higher, but that's just me. I saw 20W-50 kill and engine over one winter in a friend's car, but he was burning like a quart every 500 miles in a turbocharged mitsubishi Galant that got BEAT ON/RACED every day, but 10W-xxx would've helped it live longer for sure.

quote:

Originally posted by Nailz:
No guys, it may sound immature but no shaeffers products for me. After them stepping in and telling BOB he had to leave the site or lose his liscence to sell schaeffers products, I refuse to use their products. I am considering going to the mobil 1 15w50, or the Castrol 5w50. As much negativaty as people always bring about the castrol sytec, its analysis numbers are alway great. I am just worried that the mobil 1 may be too thick for winter starts?

I'd almost be willing to bet that M1 15w50 will have better cold weather performance than Syntec 5w50. Keep in mind that just because a company chooses to market a particular oil as a certain weight, say 15w50, that doesn't mean it wouldn't meet the performance criteria of a lower weight oil, say 10w50 or 5w50. I suspect Mobil 1 15w50 is one of those oils. (Schaeffers 15w40 has sufficient cold weather numbers that it could be labeled as a 10w40, but Schaeffers chooses not to do so.)

Nailz

Maybe you would better show Schaeffer's by continuing to buy your Schaeffer's from one of the board sponsors.

The reward for innovation needs to go to the innovators. Don't punish Bob for Schaeffer's fear of the future.

That is exactly what I am thinking as well. It seems as if the mobil oil pouring at -49 degrees would be ok used to start an engine at 0 degrees. I just wish there were a way to test it before just shoving it in my engine. I have however talked to many service techs for Hyundai who all recommend a 50wt oil for the best engine wear protection.

Guys, believe me, I too considered not using Schaeffer products after what they did, but then I stopped and thought rationally about it. Why punish yourself for it? The oil is great stuff, it has proven itself time and time again. And with the price of Mobil 1 and many other oils going up, it makes Schaeffer blends an even better bargain.

Nailz,

Use any oil you like. Don't discount Schaeffer on account of what they told Bob. I'd prefer that everyone who uses Schaeffer products because of this forum contact them and tell them (1) how much they like Schaeffer products, and (2) how they learned of Schaeffer here. DO NOT tell Schaeffer that they made a mistake...let them figure it out for themselves--they'll feel really smart. And, if you think that Schaeffer products are the best for your engine at the price, continue to buy from one of the forum supporters.

Bob, if you have a different idea, pitch in now.

Ken

Delvac1 has a pour point of -49F (5W-40)

click here

fixed long URL (makes my screen go funny)
smile.gif

[ February 03, 2003, 05:28 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

nailz,

IMO the Motorcraft 10/30 and 10/40 oils if available where you live would be very difficult to beat in a OTC oil and at 1.33 per quart at Walmarts it is a very good buy again IMO.I would put it up against any OTC SL GF3 oil even the OTC Group III's that run over 4 bucks a quart. In winter the 5/30 might be warranted. Changing grades for the season is something that seems missing these days.

Oil analysis is preached here near constantly so please take a look at this one,take into consideration the ambient conditions with the A/C on,city traffic ect and maybe factor in if the truck was driven on the hiway more.This " Molyless"
smile.gif
oil and how it held the TBN ,low Oxidation ect is the most overlooked analysis in the section. Again, had it been a 10/30 ,lower temps and more hiway no telling how many miles this oil would have ran ?

If you can't tell,I personaly like this oil and how it performs
smile.gif

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000105#000000

[ February 03, 2003, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

my 2 cents is mobil 1 15w-50 would serve its function well all year round given its flow properties are extremely well beyond what you'll ever encounter. Its additive may be a little more robust given its rated for diesels as well.

First off...weird that Hyundai would recommend a 50 weight. My ex's brand new 2000's tranny broke after the 1st week of ownership...and they're worried about engine wear and recommending a 50 weight? Weird...since 50 weights are normally reserved for H.O. Euro. engines...not econo-boxes...

Anyways, Nailz if you've read other posts you will have learned that Pour Points are only for bragging rights. Even though an oil has a low pour point doesn't mean you can actually crank it at sub-zero temps.. ie. Syntec 5-50 has a higher pour point number than M-1 15-50, but at -25C (~-10F) it is less thick and hence, as it's 5W indicates, more appropriate at this temp. than a 15W (as in 15-50). ie. a 5 weight will crank easier at temps below -20C (-4F) where I believe a 15W peters out regardless of some magical "pour point" number.

Why do you guys say Syntec is the only choice? What about Quaker state 5-50 or Penzoil Synthetic 5-50?

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
... Keep in mind that just because a company chooses to market a particular oil as a certain weight, say 15w50, that doesn't mean it wouldn't meet the performance criteria of a lower weight oil, say 10w50 or 5w50. I suspect Mobil 1 15w50 is one of those oils. (Schaeffers 15w40 has sufficient cold weather numbers that it could be labeled as a 10w40, but Schaeffers chooses not to do so.)

I believe you are incorrect in regards to the Mobil-1. All grades were tested at the next grade lower temp and the data is posted on the product data sheet. All are well above the limit and therefore will not qualify for any grade lower than what they are rated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back