Help me choose a new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want a new Windows-based computer. Monitor not required, but if it's part of a package deal, that's ok. My budget is $450 max.

What is the best bang for the buck at that price?

Thanks in advance.
cheers.gif

A lot of people don't like dell, but i've never had a problem with any of the 4 i've owned. So i would recommend one of them. Although, they tend to run like **** when they arrive at your doorstep, so i like to format them first thing.

But if you do get one, and run into trouble.... Watch out. Tech support is worst of the worst. Bottom of the barrel.

we've been very satisfied with our Compaq Presario desktop and my wife's IBM ThinkPad R51 laptop....
how about checking out those makers?

If I ever buy a Windows computer again I will make sure that it is custom built. You can get what you want with a custom build and not have a lot of useless trash software on your new computer that you just have to get rid of-stuff that is no good and trial software and all of that junk.

With a custom build you can get what processor you want, what motherboard, what kind of CD/DVD/CD-R/DVD-R optical drive you want, how much memory, how much cooling, what kind of case, what kind of graphics card, etc. You can get exactly what you want with no dumb advertising on the computer for Dell, or HP, or Gateway, or whatever.

Id get a custom build, even if its older technology, and a barebones version of windows installed.

Regardless of budget, dont scrimp on a monitor - its not worth it to save $100-200, and kill your eyes.

My win2k running, AMD athlon 550 with 1GB ram built in 1999 or 2000 still runs like new, and runs all of the latest software fast. Totally fine for the average user, by a long shot.

I find that AMD based systems seem to have a bit longer usable lifetime than intel, not based upon quality or lonevity of the circuits, but the ability to run new stuff quick for longer after the system was built.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by simple_gifts:
sxg6, that's a heck of a recommendation for dell!
Runs like cr@p, poor tech support, where do I sign up? 8)

lol.gif
Looking back at my post, this is a good point.
pat.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
If I ever buy a Windows computer again I will make sure that it is custom built. You can get what you want with a custom build and not have a lot of useless trash software on your new computer that you just have to get rid of-stuff that is no good and trial software and all of that junk.

With a custom build you can get what processor you want, what motherboard, what kind of CD/DVD/CD-R/DVD-R optical drive you want, how much memory, how much cooling, what kind of case, what kind of graphics card, etc. You can get exactly what you want with no dumb advertising on the computer for Dell, or HP, or Gateway, or whatever.

And for 95% of the users who do word processing/internet surfing its all irrelevant, seriously.

Just buy whatever Dell has onsale for < $450 at the moment and call it a day.

There are programs avaliable that will delete all useless software from Dells with the touch of a button.

Got one for you, but buy it NOW!

Go to www.techbargains.com

Look for this on the page:

Won't last. Dell Home has the Dimension E310 Desktop Pentium 4 524 3.06Ghz, 1GB/80GB Serial ATA, CDRW/DVD, 19in LCD, 2Ch audio, 1yr warranty, XP $409, Free printer and shipping.

Select 19in LCD -$40

2% off when checking out using Dell Preferred Account. Select Credit card as payment to see this offer.

GREAT Deal! But it before they're gone! Amazing! 1GB of RAM for that price!

fruit.gif

Hmm...I pulled it up but it gives me a $529 figure....guess I did something wrong?

Yeah, and since you said monitor isn't a requirement, you could always go and sell the 19" LCD on ebay, maybe make around $200 bucks and sorta like getting the pc for $209

Watch the Cicuit City ads (yeah I know).

We got an Acer for the older kids. Pretty well loaded, with a 17" LCD. $329 total.

I've had DEll's my last one tooka dump. Never again.

I kinda wonder what people blame PC problems on. Such as "I don't buy dell" or "HP is terrible!" etc...

(Only regarding destkops here, not high-level WS's or servers....)
HP/Compaq and Dell use the SAME Intel CPU's and Motherboards in their systems. There's only a finite number of hard drive suppliers. ATI, nVidia, and Intel own the graphics market. You'll find the same AC97 audio in most mfr's units, etc.

The HP/Compaq computers we have (a couple hundred at least) like to fry their power supplies. The Dells ( a couple more hundred) are usually battery-related issues on the laptops. They both are subject to hard drive failure as they both subscribe to the "hard drive of the month" club. No consistency over the long haul for either vendor.

So, IMO, the PC supplier doesn't matter so much anymore. "Take your best stab at the beast."

I have a dell and is like 4 years old. only problem I have had was with the cd burner 2 went out inless than 6 months. I think on their burners they use refurbished units. because the lite-on DVD drive is still going strong. other than that its ran like a champ. their CS is **** as its over in india. prob most of the country never seen a computer. I told this guy the prob I had and its the burner. he didnt believe me and went through the whole process of the troubleshooting program he was using. I asked him you even own a computer? he said no and I said why you got this job then. because you will work for a buck an hour. I said dont worry I will buy me a cd burner and hung up. after getting a lite on burner never had a prob and that was 3 years ago.

best way is you can build your own computer. www.newegg.com is a great site to price parts to build a computer and prob come out cheaper than a mass produced unit. what I am going to do this fall with my new gamming rig I am going to build. I figure I can build it for under $1500 easy as AMD is slashing their dual core processors as intel is releasing theirs.

in the end its up to you but dell aint bad nor is compaq and HP (well they are one company now). in the end you get what you pay for. also get the max memory you can put in the computer. any computer runs liek **** if under powered with memory. power suppy is another item that can casue poor preformance.

good luck

Does Compaq still use proprietary motherboards?

Also, I read that the major manufacturers alter the Windows operating system for their own reasons.

In udder words, your mass market Windows O/S is not what you get if you buy an off-the-shelf Windows O/S.

Those more informed than I likely know if things have changed. When I last performed some in-depth research regarding computers (around 2000 or so) I was convinced that self- or custom built is the only way to go for a chap such as I.

Current computer built locally at a reputable shop using parts I specified.

Prior computer (currently stored for back-up use) was self-built. Both ran extremely stable with retail versions of Windows and with nothing installed that altered the system, the registry, etc. other than what I wanted residing in the machine.

But, a mass market machine may be exactly what some folks want/need.

Depends upon the person and, I suppose, in part, the depth of their knowledge base of things computerish.

I prefer to build my own, even if it means spending a few more $.
Those restore discs sonys,dells, others come with are a pain in my butt.

I found that trying to build a low-end PC isn't worth it anymore. Base Intel CPU/MB, Combo-drive setups where the case is barely expandable is just fine for basic things.

Medium & High End computers are definitly worth building (from NewEgg,my favorite place!).

Thanks for all the recommendations. We were just about to pull the trigger yesterday on an E-Machines system, when my cheap-skate wife (G0D love her) suggested we not spend the money right now & just keep using our old Gateway for another year or so. I just smiled & said "You're right".

Wayne, good call! I'm working an a neighbor's eMachine. Had to pull the motherboard & power supply 3 times. Hopefully the 4th time works.

Stay away from these things. Too cheap for quality IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back