Help identify Unknown Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought this stuff at a garage, I mean a real garage, sale. I don't know what it is and no one could tell me what it was used for.

It comes in a small plastic jar, sort of like a small wax container, about 2 ounces. It is brown, very thick, extremely, I mean extremely tacky, no odor. I did google and yahoo searches and found a MSDS. The MSDS said 85% petroleum wax, CAS 64742-61-6 and 15% light napthenic oil, CAS 64741-52-1.

I am trying to contact the manufacturer but, no luck yet. I believe it may be the old RG-19 hinge pin wax.

If you have a clue, please share your information, especially what such a grease would be used for.

sounds like "plug valve grease" that I've used before. It was so sticky that we'd use it to pick up small parts (like 1/4-28 nuts) that had fallen into inaccessible areas.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
You mention contacting the manufacture and a MSDS sheet, do you know the brand of this product?

I finally found the original manufacturer. It is Samchem Inc, out of Chicago. They sell in bulk only and their products are packaged and labeled under different brand names. Some are just repackaged with the grade number, such as RG-19.

It turns out this is a heavy duty rust preventative. It is used primarily by owners of very valuable, antique firearms. It prevents any kind of oxidation on the metals used in antique firearms. It is also used on reproduction muzzle-loading firearms that have corrosive powders such as Pyrodex and black powder. It is not recommended as a lubricant.

The manufacturer product name is "No-Ox-Id A." It comes in grades of 19, 25, and 26. I have no idea what the different grades are as the MSDS is identical.

I had in mind that it was hinge pin grease and I was indeed going to use in on hinges at garage, barn doors, utility building doors. Turns out it is not a good lubricant but a great RP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back