HELP! I need to buy a compressor for the following tasks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want a compressor where I'll be able to do most homeowner-type things.

e.g., nail gun for base and crown molding. nail gun to repair outside fencing (I live on a half-acre property). air tools (impact wrench, other air tools like scrapping etc.).

Just a good, reliable, reasonably priced, preferably American-made good warranty unit for home use. One that can do most things, but not necessarily the highest end top notch unit.

I've read all of the applicable posts in this forum, and now I'm more confused than before I began.

I expect that I'll have to pay around $300 of so for this, so let her rip.TIA

In your price range, I'd buy a Home Depot Husky unit with cast iron pump made by Campbell Hausfeld. They are far better than the aluminum pump units sold by Sears. As long as you don't intend on using a media cabinet or do any D/A sanding you should be fine.

3 belt drive compressors Ive been looking at,but 220 volt non portable:
Lowes:
60 gallon Kobalt regular 439$ 10.8 cfm@ 90
60 gal Kobalt high output 499$ 13.3cfm @90

Tractor Supply:
60 gallon Ingersol Rand 11.3cfm@90 for 499$

If you want portable, 115v. The Kobalt 30gal cast iron belt drive 5.7cm@90 at Lowes looks pretty decent. It was around 388$ I think.

The IR 26gal portable was 450$ seems a bit too much money for what is.

My local Home Depot only had the Huge husky, and some really small ones so I didn't check those out.

"I'd spend a bit more for a belt driven one with a decent motor. Those screaming universal motor Craftsman jobs are SO LOUD!! NOISE IS A FACTOR!!! "

I agree 100% we have an oil-free craftsman compressor here, it has a decent CFM rating and seems to provide pressure quickly but it is very loud. It wasn't my purchase but I know that when it comes down to getting one I will be getting a nice belt driven oiled compressor. I've had one of those before and it was awesome.

Find out the PSI and CFM those tools will need - most listed aren't so high, but -

I'd spend a bit more for a belt driven one with a decent motor. Those screaming universal motor Craftsman jobs are SO LOUD!! NOISE IS A FACTOR!!!

Russ300H and Pablo:
How about if I move up to the $400 dollar range?

One problem I have is I'm completely ignorant about compressors, and what CFM and PSI levels the tools need. Looking for a good, all around, versatile unit that can adapt to multiple semi-heavy duty around the house uses.

Home repair/renovation projects, etc.

It's Friday, Dec 23, 2005 @8:47 am here in SoCal. why did my previous post, and I'm guessing this post, show a post date of December 22nd in the pm?

Check the link below, this is what I am talking about. They have gone up, they were $379 now they are $429. Grainger sells SpeedAire, which are also Campbell Hausfeld, you could check there. I'm not very familiar with the Lowes units. The Porter Cable I did see were aluminum pumps :-(

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0911378742.11

You are going to have to spend a LOT more money to get a unit where you really notice the difference. I have an 80 gallon 5 HP Quincy as sold by TP tools for $1599. It will not keep up with my blast cabinet. In my opinion, you really need to spend about $1200 before you start getting serious and about $2000 is what it takes for a really nice unit. It doesn't sound like you need that much compressor. The problem is, as with so many other tools, once you have one you find more and more to do with it and it becomes too small.

I would also consider looking used. Because people do outgrow them, there are a lot of smaller units available. A bonus is they don't hold their value well so you might get a like new unit for a few hundred dollars. Just stay with all cast iron pumps, NO aluminum. Get one a few years old max.

Some general tips: Two stage is better than single, 60 gallon minimum tank or the compressor is going to run all the time (they all have a duty cycle except rotary screw), pop type valves are better than reed valves(much more $$$), more power is always better, but watch how they rate them. The H Depot unit above says 7 hp, but that is start. Run HP is about 3. 5 run hp is better, but again more $$$.

Ask away if you still have more concerns.

I spent 23 years as a mechanis usually working out od a service truck" van" So I have lots of hours with compressors and all sorts of air tools. at home I have a 6.5 hp Cambell Hausfeld I think it has 10.5 or 11.5 cfm at 90 psi to me it is almost acceptable.
grin.gif
The compressors at work had gasoline engines with 10 or 12 hp gas engines and at 175psi really worked well. So my recommendations would be at least a 6.5 hp single stage with over 10.5cfm . A portable compressor like the contractors use may not work with some air tools I used borrowed 2.5 hp compressor and it did not put out enough air to do lug nuts.

I'd think you'd be fine with a 3.5 h.p., 25 gallon tank, 110 v. compressor. Oiless compressors have a life of 1,000 hours, oil compressors 2,000 hours, and commercial rated compressors 3,000 hours. The average homeowner will not rack up that many hours over a lifetime, so I wouldn't spend too much money on it. Invest the savings, so you and your kids can afford to keep living in Southern California.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back