Help!!! How long can you ran a chevrolet opera wit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to everyone, I have a huge problem, my brother was driving his car (opera chevrolet) to my house when he couldn't avoid a big rock that was on the road and made a huge hole in the oil pump, because there was no place to stop in the road to check the car, he ran the car for 5 minutes approximately until he found a gas station where to stop. When he noticed what have happened to the oil pump he called the tow truck to pick him up.
The chevrolet Agency had the car for 1 month repairing the damage. Finally, when they told my brother he could picked the car, they made a final test and they found out that the engine had a problem. Now they don't want to repair the engine because they said my brother ran the car with no oil.
So, my question is, How long can a chevrolet optra run without oil? How much time can you run a chevrolet optra without oil before making any serious damage to the engine?. If I can prove that the time (5 min) my brother ran the car to the gas station does not represent an important factor in the damage caused in the engine, the chevrolet Agency will pay for everything and my brother will be excused. Thank you very much for your help. Waiting to hear from you.

Originally Posted By: leogt11
How much time can you run a chevrolet optra without oil before making any serious damage to the engine?.

Almost impossible to answer.

If I can prove that the time (5 min) my brother ran the car to the gas station does not represent an important factor in the damage caused in the engine, the chevrolet Agency will pay for everything and my brother will be excused.

That is going to be hard to prove, good luck~

Once it goes dry the engine will not last 5 minutes. I do not know how long it took to go dry. If he has comprehensive insurance coverage on his car it will be covered most likely.

Is your brother from Canada? (The Chevy Opera isn't sold here in the states) Anyhow, the insurance should cover it no problem if you have any sort of comprehensive coverage. My father in law recently had this happen to his 2000 Audi TT Quattro, APR chipped too! He was driving down a dirt road and a large rock ripped right through the oil pan. The motor was ruined because of oil starvation, and he drove it only one minute at most after the incident happened. So i'm guessing that your brother's car didn't lose all of the oil right away, but the insurance should cover this either way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
What the [censored] is a Chevy Opera??

It's a musical based upon the recent finanical situation at GM.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: lexus114
What the [censored] is a Chevy Opera??

It's a musical based upon the recent finanical situation at GM.

crackmeup2.gif
Only you Tig!!

Once the oil drained out and the engine is starved for oil it starts wearing immediatly.

Since the engine is running at 2000 rpm or more just a few seconds w/o oil will damage it.

What is the problem they found on the last test?
If they were going to give the car back but had some "issue" right before they delivered the car, I would look into it.
Perhaps it works essentially fine.

Maybe a minute or two, but you can't run without oil pressure.
Damage will occur.

And it is going to be hard to get the factory to pay for damage of this type caused by the owner.
Warranties don't cover road damage and egregious owner error.

Some folks think that the oil warning light can be ignored just like the check engine light. Nothing could be further from the truth. In the owners manual it should state " FAILURE TO SHUT OFF THE ENGINE AFTER THE OIL LIGHT ILLUMINATES WILL CAUSE PERMANENT DAMAGE NOT COVERED UNDER THE WARRANTY" Or words to that effect-- FWIW-Oldtommy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back