Help diagnose no water in my house

Last night i showered around 9pm. We are having a cold spell here in ny. It got to -6f this morning. A few hours ago i noticed my toilet was not refilling. Then i tried the faucet and nothing. Went down to the basement and the tank said 0psi. I checked the circuit breaker and it was all good. I have 220v going into and coming out of the pressure control switch. 220v are going into the capacitor box. I can feel and hear the hose from the well vibrating which I assume means the pump is running. There is just no water coming out. Im skeptical it has to do with the cold as the well pipe is around 4ft underground but in dont know much about plumbing. What could be causing my no water issue?

If you have an amprobe see if the pump is drawing amperage. That will tell you if it is running.
Also go out to the well and listen carefully to see if you hear anything. Sometimes a corroded fitting falls apart and the water is just squirting back into the well. Also if nothing there turn off the water at the breaker for an hour and turn it back on. I have seen where toilets stuck open and drained the well.

If you have an amprobe see if the pump is drawing amperage. That will tell you if it is running.
Also go out to the well and listen carefully to see if you hear anything. Sometimes a corroded fitting falls apart and the water is just squirting back into the well. Also if nothing there turn off the water at the breaker for an hour and turn it back on. I have seen where toilets stuck open and drained the well.
Those are good suggestions. I have an ac amp clamp i can use around the wire going to the pump.

I would not rule out your water pipe freezing. Even though the pipe may be four feet down it still has to come up at some point in order to connect with your plumbing.
very possible , along with split or hole in water pipe

i looked for ground water outside where the pipe goes underground but did not see anything. Doesnt mean much though as the top layer of ground is pretty frozen.

I would not rule out your water pipe freezing. Even though the pipe may be four feet down it still has to come up at some point in order to connect with your plumbing.
The pipe from the well goes right through the basement wall. It does not come up to ground level.

In my prior house that had a well I had this same issue during really cold snaps. At the transition from the deep pipe coming up to my well tank I had to run a heating cable.

Could be a frozen pipe inside the basement. I had no cold water this morning . Below zero with a non stop stiff wind I'm thinking it's a frozen pipe. Get out the hair dryer and start hitting that pipe with hot air

Last edited:
Could be a frozen pipe inside the basement. I had no cold water this morning . Below zero with a non stop stiff wind I'm thinking it's a frozen pipe. Get out the hair dryer and start hitting that pipe with hot air
The basement felt pretty warm. Was probably 50f

If it was broken pipe underground, or the pipe leading from the pump is frozen, the pump would run continuously. The pressure switch is inside the house monitoring the low tank pressure (@ 0 psi) and feeding power to the pump to raise the pressure.
My vote is for a frozen pipe outside.

My basement Temp was 68 but the cold water pipe that runs along the sill plate on top of the cement foundation was frozen. Cold air especially at below zero wind easily gets through that sill even if it's insulated. The sheetrock will hold and trap that cold air from getting into the room

First idea, frozen water/pipes. OP said that's not possible.
Next, no electric. OP said it's getting electric.
Next, pump isn't working. OP said hears pump working. My bet is there's something wrong with the pump, it's broken, lost seal, something. It might be running, but not pumping.

Next, something in well is clogging it.
Next, well is dry, frozen water?

Back