Help an Oil Noob - Grape seed or Canola

Hello all,
I've been creeping these forums for quite a while but would like to dip my stick and ask a noob question.
While there is surely no one size fits all when it comes to lubricant, I'm looking for suggestions for a lubricant choice for a modified, mixed injected (DI & Port), turbocharged fast street car that sees daily, occasional autoX and limited track use which calls for 5W20 from the manufacturer with catalytic converter that is widely available.
I don't care about fuel economy and as such have moved to a heavier weight oil (Mobil 1 0W40 FS), because it seems to have a great add pack, is designed for HT/HS applications and shears down to a 30 but it doesn't meet SN plus and my vehicle is prone to LSPI I'm told.
Engine reliability/longevity is paramount.

If I'm being too lazy can one point out what to look for that meets these criteria so I can narrow my search.
Thanks much

Engines that are solely direct injected and usually turbocharged are the ones that are susceptible to low speed pre ignition.

Dual injected engines typically don't suffer this anywhere near as much since the port injectors are supposed to phase in during deceleration but may not always.

Are you experiencing issues with 0w-40. Have you had any symptoms of low speed pre ignition. You can usually hear a notable knock. If you are I'd still stick to a 40 grade and I'd probably use a dual rated diesel oil like chevron del0 xsp 5w-40 since it's ck/sn plus formulation shows no more than 1200 calcium whereas FS is over 2000 I believe.

Api sn has a lot of calcium but sn plus was the begging of low calcium and magnesium substitute detergent packages and sp is the newest generation of lspi protection. If it says sn plus or sp go ahead and use it and delo xsp seems to be one of the better lspi friendly yet high performance oil.

First off - what car? Sounds like a Ford, from the engine description(2018-current Ecoboost) and the 5W-20 oil recommendation.

GM does say if a Corvette/Camaro is tracked to use dexos2 oils and change it out, then go back to dexos1 Gen2 oils which build on API’s SN Plus/SP specs for LSPI and engine cleanliness.

2018 Fiesta St 1.6l Ecoboost with added port injection and upgraded turbocharger.
Is magnesium sulfonate as effective a cleaning agent as it's calcium equivalent? I'll have to do some reading on calcium's role in the chemistry.
Thank you for the input so far

Last edited:
First off - what car? Sounds like a Ford, from the engine description(2018-current Ecoboost) and the 5W-20 oil recommendation.

GM does say if a Corvette/Camaro is tracked to use dexos2 oils and change it out, then go back to dexos1 Gen2 oils which build on API’s SN Plus/SP specs for LSPI and engine cleanliness.
Mustang Ecoboost recommends 5w-30 synthetic blend oil. Why would any other ecoboost be different? I only used full synthetic in mine.

Mustang Ecoboost recommends 5w-30 synthetic blend oil. Why would any other ecoboost be different? I only used full synthetic in mine.
Ecoboost aren't all one and the same. Block design and clearances vary from one displacement to the other amongst a multitude of other things.
This car is going to see higher temps and cylinder pressures now too so I'm just looking for guidance from the Bitog BDE people.

I would use a C3 rated 5W-30. If you're running high sump temperatures and high revs for extended periods of time I'd go with a higher HT/HS rated oil.

Ok so I need a high hths oil with low calcium.
Are there any High HTHS, API SP C3 rated oils out there. Delo isn't really available here.
Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP x3 isn't available here at all
Any other recommendations?

M1 FS 0w40 isn't a good candidate on the long run to the cats (if you have any).

This is silly. oils with slightly higher levels of ZDDP weren't killing catalysts before the low and mid SAPS oils came on the scene. GPF's are likely far more relevant to this change than catalysts, which have not demonstrated a higher rate of failure in cars that spec'd these oils. The S62 equipped M5's, which, in particular the pre 03/00 cars, would drink oil from the low tension rings, still didn't have elevated rates of catalyst failure using full SAPS lubricants. Neither did the Daimler-era SRT engines, for which M1 0w-40 was the factory and service fill for ages before the Fiat takeover.

In fact German cars before the mid and low SAPS oils were introduced, were not seeing elevated rates of catalyst failure relative to their North American and Japanese counterparts which had much lower Zinc/Phos levels.

So yes, while the lower levels of Zinc/Phos found in API oils are indeed pitched as being "catalyst kind", the sort of cases where that would be an issue are in-line with the 1L/1,000Km consumption guidelines as being "acceptable", and thus significant outliers. In reality, you are probably more likely to have somebody steal your cats than you killing them by using a full SAPS Euro oil.

So I think I'm going to go with PP Euro 0W40 as it meets API SP, VAG 502&505, ACEA A3/B4 which means it has an HT/HS of ~ 3.5 for wear (I think) and SP rating should help mitigate LSPI- I can find it here fairly easily.
Thoughts anyone?

Back