Hello-newbe here with a question on ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am doing research for a paper I am writing on motor oils and oil specifications. More specific, I want to know about Long Life oil 01 (LL-01), the ACEA rating of A3 and SAE SN. What I am looking for are the technical numbers that are needed in order for oil to use these ratings. I have had no luck in finding this info in hours of searching on the internet. There are many oils that list this rating on the web site and on the bottle themselves, but this does not tell me what that is. For example what specifically does a oil manufacture have to do to be able to put LL-01/A3/or SN on a bottle? Does the oil have to meet certain mPa or cSt ratings, or is there a range of ratings that a oil has to fall into order to be able to put the LL-01 on the bottle? Does it have to do with additives? Who defines the LL-01 spec and what are those specs for example. What’s to stop xyz oil company from producing a new product and just put the SAE SN on the bottle just because? Anyway I hope I was clear in my request. What I am looking for is something like this ILSAC GF-4 Standard (found here CLICK HERE ) only for LL-01, ACEA-A3 and SAE SN

Thank you for anyone who can help me out here.

If you are doing (actual) research, have you approached the ACEA or API (or their websites).

Any references that you make in your paper will always be better if they are original source material rather than internet babble

I have, but they dont list email addresses. I suppose I could send in a letter the old fashion way....what a thought. Yes I do want creditable references for sure.

Last edited:
Try api.org and search around there for the ratings requirements of SN, SM, etc.

Another good online information source is Lubrizol. They have spider diagrams comparing ACEA and API specifications.

ACEA is governing body for European engine manufacturers. They have different classifications for light-duty engines that are designated A and B. Light commercial ratings are designated with a C. And heavy duty commercial truck engines require E ratings.

API is the governing body for North American manufacturers. They define ratings for Spark Ignition engines, which are designated by an S prefix, and Compression Ignition engines (diesels), which are designated by a C prefix. The current spark ignition rating is SN, and the current diesel rating is CJ-4.

LL01 is BMW's own specification for oils that they recommend for their engines. Similarly, VW, Mercedes, GM, Porsche, and Honda also have their own ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back