Hello. I have 2 questions?

DR1

1) After I get my entire truck repainted the same original color which is silver,how long should I wait until I apply wax to my truck,along with who makes the best wax for my application?

2) My 2008 Nissan Titan is a Crew Cab. Those oem top plastic bed rainlings are a little faded. Should I paint them blac or should I just use a trim restorer kit?

Thanks in advance.

I would ask the people that painted the P/U.
As for the bed liner I don't know

Generally about 90 days for waxing. Could you just replace the plastic pieces with new? Might be worth it since you are full repaint already.

A little faded? I would try the restore products first.

Rand has the right answer regarding the paint.

My wife's car was recently repaired and the drivers side was repainted.
They said to wait 30 days before using a commercial car wash.
Never asked about waxing it.

Google is your friend
60 to 90 days

The last thing you want to do is wax your car as soon as the new paint dries. If you apply wax too soon, it will interrupt the curing process, which can weaken the paint and make it easier to scratch or damage. Instead, wait 60 to 90 days before waxing.

I understand the general consensus is to wait. However, it's good to understand that many high end paint jobs involve a good bit of post application correction. That may start with sanding (for example) with 2000 grit, followed by a compound and wax. Today's high solids paints are generally fully cured in the paint booth by heating to about 130 degrees (or more). They can accept wax, teflon or ceramic coatings right away.

Check with body shop if they give a warranty on their work you wouldn't want to void it.

Depends how much you want to invest into the truck regarding the bed rails.. you already invested decent coin in a re-spray, if they're available new splurge on it. Otherwise try black shoe polish or I've heard cheap peanut butter works good on black trim. 😯🙄 just apply in a cool shaded area.

Does Meguiar's make the best Carnauba Wax?
Probably not, however I'm not convinced Carnauba wax is the end all of waxes. But for a show-quality shine, I like Griots "best in show wax". For normal waxing, it's hard to beat Griots 3 in 1 spray. It contains Carnauba and Ceramic.

I understand the general consensus is to wait. However, it's good to understand that many high end paint jobs involve a good bit of post application correction. That may start with sanding (for example) with 2000 grit, followed by a compound and wax. Today's high solids paints are generally fully cured in the paint booth by heating to about 130 degrees (or more). They can accept wax, teflon or ceramic coatings right away.
The body shop that repaired my wife's car said they bake the paint but still to wait 30 days.

Probably not, however I'm not convinced Carnauba wax is the end all of waxes. But for a show-quality shine, I like Griots "best in show wax". For normal waxing, it's hard to beat Griots 3 in 1 spray. It contains Carnauba and Ceramic.
Thanks a Million for telling me about this Griots 3 in 1!

I would have to disagree without some sort of reference.
I can be that reference. I've done quite a bit of high end painting in the past. This is exactly how I did it:

Here is one of our aircraft I've done significant paint work on. While I did not paint the plane, it hit a taxiway light which took out the lower engine cowl and landing gear, along with both wheel pants. I painted those parts outside in a bit of a rush to get it to an airshow! It's a 3 step candy apple paint. I did not even bother to get the clear coat to flow perfectly smooth, as I knew that after a day in the sun, it was getting sanded, buffed and waxed.

That repair held up since 1999 (or 2000), with zero issues. Note, I've also done a number of repairs in plain sight, that cannot be seen. Due to composite cracking and other issues.

CZGPj89.jpg

Back