Hello Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

KW

Just wanted to introduce myself, I have been veiwing the list for a few weeks and thought I should register so I could provide input to topics rather than just lurking around.

I don't know if I will ever have much input but what the heck.

I have a Jeep 4.0 with M1 0W40
Dragbike with M1 5W30
Streetbike with Rotella 5W40
and a 65 Chevy with Rotella 15W40

This board is about the coolest thing I have seen in a long time.
smile.gif

KW

welcome.gif

I have a question for you. I might buy a Jeep next spring with the 4.0L. Have you tested your 0w-40 in that engine? There was a great UOA witht the Jeep running the 0w-40. I've also heard they like thicker oils. If I do buy one, I was thinking of running M1 10w-30 and mixing a little 15w-50 to thicken it up a bit. Or run it straight. Some have said there oil pressure is better with a thicker oil.

When I first got the Jeep I tried M1 5W30 and the hot idle oil pressure was lower than I liked so I went to M1 15W50 which helped a lot but after a couple of 5000 mile intervels a started mixing 3 quarts M1 5W30 with 3 quarts M1 15W50 to try and make my own 10W40ish oil. This worked fine for me. Now that they have the M1 0W40 available I have been using it. I am on my second change intervel with it and like it just fine so far.

Sorry but I have never had my oil checked at a lab or anything, I just change it at 6mo/5000 miles.

[ September 05, 2003, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: KW ]

How is the pressure with the 0w-40? I was thinking of trying Delvac 1 or Amsoil in this engine too.

...wow, guys...I feel left out...I don't have a Jeep or anything...now we could talk about putting GC in that Jeep...
grin.gif

[ September 05, 2003, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

0W40 15psi hot idle, 40-50psi cruise

The others were a little better at hot idle but below 20psi and the same 40-50psi cruise

Delvac 1 might harm the converter though I am not sure of it.

I never heard a bad thing about Amsoil other than it is a little harder to get.

From discussions about delvac 1 on other threads it will not hurt a converter. I am just hacked off that I cant find it anywhere in the town I live in. Would love to try it out.

Dan

The Delvac 1 from what I understand is a top notch oil. Seems like it would be great in a motorcyle.

Nice to hear that it does not poison converters too.

quote:

0W40 15psi hot idle, 40-50psi cruise

KW, sorry to pick your brain with this, but what is ideal oil pressure for idle and cruise? Looks like the 0w-40 is a good fit.

KW,

welcome.gif

You'll be unable to resist! UOAs will now & forever be nagging at you; calling your name; teasing you with unknown knowledge & experience you otherwise wouldn't have. (Are you married? It's kinda like that ... ) And no, Delvac 1 won't hurt your converter. It's API SL rated, just like all the gasoline-only oils out there.

Dan4510,
Have you tried calling around to the truck stops in your area? We have one local chain that carries Delvac 1 (Flying J), but they're too far away & too expensive for me to bother with it. If you don't mind bulk purchasing, site sponsor AV Lube has a good deal at four gallons for just under $84.

Buster -- Yep the 15/50 psi is right in the window posted in my Haynes manual.

Eiron -- I am very interested in extended drain intervals and oil testing. One day I'll start playing with testing the oil.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
...wow, guys...I feel left out...I don't have a Jeep or anything...now we could talk about putting GC in that Jeep...
grin.gif

I have to ask; What's GC?
smile.gif

German Castrol. It's a European oil Castrol makes that is starting to appear in the US. It meets the more demanding specs of Europe. Comparable to Mobil 1 0w-40.

KW, so 15psi to 50psi is good. Is it bad when it drops in the 40's while cruising or does it just have to stay withint that range? Thanks.
cheers.gif

Interesting, the repair manual for my Audi states that at 175 degr. F, oil pressure should be between 15 and 35 psi at idle, and between 45 and 75 psi at 3000 RPM. Lower oil pressure than 45 psi at 3000 RPM indicates worn connecting rod bearings.

Around town the 4.0 is just off idle and at speed it is anywhere from 1500 to 2200 RPM. I don't think I have ever spun it up much past 3000 RPM even over taking another car. A warm engine for a Jeep is 200-210F.

quote:

Originally posted by Eiron:

quote:

Originally posted by KW:
I have to ask; What's GC?

Noooo-o-o-o-o . . . . ! ! !

Avert thine eyes!!

Run away!!

Aiieee-e-e-e-e ! ! !

lol.gif
I love it! (I can't believe I let Buster who is not yet a full-fledged member of the grün, steal my thunder...must work on my posting reflexes)

quote:

Originally posted by KW:
Around town the 4.0 is just off idle and at speed it is anywhere from 1500 to 2200 RPM. I don't think I have ever spun it up much past 3000 RPM even over taking another car.

This is the reason american engines survive on thinner oils.Big-slow running engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back