Hello from Honda (new guy intro)

Status
Not open for further replies.
honda_1.jpg

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Only one tag on the whole mower...6097564..I assume its the serial number.

That's correct...the full serial number would be HR214-6097564. The original engine serial number should be GXV120-1558964

My records show that is an 'export unit' and that makes sense as you are in Canada. The '6' at the start of the serial number means it was built at Honda's plant in Swepsonville, NC, probably in 1985 or early 1986. It was wholesaled by Honda to a dealer (or import distributor, a.k.a., Honda Canada) on 4/30/1986. There are no open recalls, campaigns, or active updates for this machine.

If you are not the original owner, I'd urge you to contact Honda Canada Customer Relations and have them update their records showing you as the current owner. Honda asks for this information in the highly unlikely event there's ever a Product Safety Recall on this mower and Honda has a way to contact you.

Honda Customer Relations
180 Honda Blvd.
Markham, ON
L6C 0H9

Toll Free: 1-888-9-HONDA-9 (1-888-946-6329)
Hours: 8:00 am to 7:30 pm Mon to Fri (EST)

Thanks Robert, nice history to know. I am the original owner, so I will not bother to contact HO I think I bought it in 87 or 88, so it must have been a non-current. I am going to put a new oil control ring in it, and I expect to get another 30 years out of it. Truly a lifetime mower

Does Honda you model years to identify their product of just go by serial number.

Does Honda you model years to identify their product of just go by serial number.

Serial number...it is the best way to ensure you get the correct parts or service procedure.

For outdoor power equipment and loose engines, Honda uses a version code called a K-number to document when there are running changes. The very first production of a model is known as K0, and when there are changes, such as emissions regulation updates, the K-number increments +1.

The EU2000i generator has been in production 13 years, and is 'only' at the K1 version.

Originally Posted By: robert_at_honda

Serial number...it is the best way to ensure you get the correct parts or service procedure.

For outdoor power equipment and loose engines, Honda uses a version code called a K-number to document when there are running changes. The very first production of a model is known as K0, and when there are changes, such as emissions regulation updates, the K-number increments +1.

The EU2000i generator has been in production 13 years, and is 'only' at the K1 version.

Hey Robert I sent you a Message about my EU2000i I was wondering if you saw it?

Last edited:
What's your take.

After Sandy, I helped my bro-in-law wire up his house with a transfer switch and two brand new EU2000.
EU2000'a have sat for the last 5-6 years since then, and ,and may very well possibly sit like that for the next 10-15 years.

I never did fire it up. I did fill up the oil, if I recall, the unit comes either empty or partial.
Should I pull the plug and just fog it. And or there should be some residual oil from manuf.....that I should just leave these EU alone for their hibernation for that once in a very very Blue Moon need of use.

Hi Robert,

I have a brand new 13HP Honda GX390 that I will be putting on a BCS rototiller. Do you have any recommendation as far as initial oil to use during the break-in period? Just a good quality petroleum based 30W oil? Thanks,

Kurt

Fire when ready!

OK Honda lawnmower engine guy!
My push mower has a spring-loaded choke on the side of the engine that now, after five years, won't move after starting the engine. It's supposed to slowly move from 6:00 to 12:00. The spring loading thing is tucked away under the engine. I use a long straw-like oil spray can to penetrate and lubricate. Even used things like carb-cleaners and brake cleaners to clean around it first - then lubricate. Nothing has worked so-far.

I've sprayed everything imaginable to get it moving by itself and not having any luck whatsoever. From 6:00 to 9:00, that spring loaded choke-thing absolutely will not move. From 9:00 to 12:00, it works fine. I always must help it along manually and I'm starting to lose patience with that lawnmower.

Other than that, the engine has been great and not even a misfire, once warmed-up from choking. I do realize the new mowers don't have this setup. But right now, I'm wanting to keep this mower for a few more years at-least.

Last edited:
Bang, bang bang! Lots o' questions! Never had an opportunity like this before. I love Hondas!

Those mini four strokes are adorable! Keep pumping them out!

A few questions on the GCV 160.. Does it have a timing belt tensioner? I just looked on the honda engines website and it doesn't show one. Hoping it won't stretch! I tried to help out a neighbor with a Ryobi 4 stroke, only a year old and the timing belt was badly stretched. I tried to rig up a tensioner but it didn't work.
As we further progress into reduced emissions and fuel economy mode, everything helps, what rpm are the valve springs good for? Could they be lightened? I am thinking that since it is usually running 3000-3600rpm, the valve springs should be very light, like float begins at 4000 rpm. I just did a valve adjustment on the GCV 160 recently (PITA to get that valve cover off btw), I don't remember how stiff they were, but remember thinking they could be lighter.

Any EGR or catalytic converters in the works for the little ones?

My auto-choke is working like a dream, I can start mowing right after starting without a hiccup. But I usually start it up and manually move the throttle to idle to let it warm up for 15 seconds or so before mowing. Otherwise....Fuel injection please!

As far as marine engines, is the BP60 based on the 1.0 3 cylinder from the 1st generation honda insight?

The BP135 and 150 have variable intake manifolds and are essentially marine K24s. Any plans on taking those sweet variable intake manifolds and bringing them to the automotive world?

I'm new to marine engines, but what is with the different power ratings on otherwise seemingly the same engine? Different fuel maps? I'm thinking the headers and intake should be reduced diameter if they are optimized for each power rating.

I think that's all for now, since your expertise is in the marine and small engines areas.

I currently have two rare honda's in the stable, and looking to add more. A 2006 Accord V6 6 speed manual sedan (less than 30,000 made in total), and a 1988 CBR 250R (MC19), a four cylinder 250cc only sold in Japan!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

My push mower has a spring-loaded choke on the side of the engine that now, after five years, won't move after starting the engine.

Honda mower, I assume? What's the full serial number? I will check for any service bulletins or tech data...

lmserialnumber_zps63822669.jpg

Originally Posted By: Daschicken
GCV 160.. Does it have a timing belt tensioner?

No, really does not need one. Belt is good for the life of the engine.

What rpm are the valve springs good for? Could they be lightened?

No published spec, sorry.

Any EGR or catalytic converters in the works for the little ones?

Nothing I see...the engines pass all EPA and California emissions regs without either.

Fuel injection please!

The flagship EU7000is generator has FI, and it is only a matter of time before it turns up on other products.

Is the BP60 based on the 1.0 3 cylinder from the 1st generation honda insight?

I believe that's correct, but will double-check with our marine team.

The BP135 and 150 have variable intake manifolds and are essentially marine K24s. Any plans on taking those sweet variable intake manifolds and bringing them to the automotive world?

Maybe. The R&D team in Auto trades parts and tech with other Honda divisions all the time.

I'm new to marine engines, but what is with the different power ratings on otherwise seemingly the same engine? Different fuel maps? I'm thinking the headers and intake should be reduced diameter if they are optimized for each power rating.

Marine power ratings are a standard way for an outboard mfg. to match a boat to the correct motor. Also, certain waterways have restrictions on engine power...for example, some lakes prohibit any outboard 10 hp or more, so we sell a BF9.9

2006 Accord V6 6 speed manual sedan (less than 30,000 made in total), and a 1988 CBR 250R (MC19), a four cylinder 250cc only sold in Japan!

The V6-6MT Accord is blast to drive. The clutch and shifter are just smooth magic. I had the joy of leasing a 2014 Coupe for a year and miss it a lot.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
I've sprayed everything imaginable to get it moving by itself and not having any luck whatsoever. From 6:00 to 9:00, that spring loaded choke-thing absolutely will not move. From 9:00 to 12:00, it works fine. I always must help it along manually and I'm starting to lose patience with that lawnmower.

I had a similar problem very early on with the GCV160 on a Sears Craftsman I bought new in 2003. When warm out, the choke wouldn't pull off fast enough. If cold out, the choke wouldn't stay on long enough. I don't like automatic gizmos like this, so I just converted it to manual. I opened up the works and disconnected the bit that releases the spring when the operator presence bail is pulled. I'd prefer to operate it via cable, but it wasn't a big deal. I started the engine and let it run until I knew it was ready for the choke to come off, and I reached down and pulled it off.

Maybe. The R&D team in Auto trades parts and tech with other Honda divisions all the time.

Interestingly, the K24 had a variable intake manifold about 10 years ago. Around 2005 or 2006 (depending on application), Honda switched most of the K24 engines to a conventional intake manifold with a large resonance chamber. I suspect they weren't finding any benefit in the automotive application or perhaps were having trouble justifying the added cost and complexity of a variable system for a relatively small gain. It may be more appropriate for marine (or aircraft) use, where the engines likely see sustained high speeds much more of the time vs. in an automotive application.

Robert, I have a honda mower Model HRB216txa and the serial number is MAAA-1022187. My problem started with a surging idle last fall, I recently went to start the mower and it wouldnt start at all. I suspected the carb was dirty and rather than mess with trying to clean it I went ahead and purchased a new carburetorand gaskets for $25. Well, the mower still doesn't start, I have fresh gas in the mower, a new air cleaner, and the spark plug looks good. One thing I did notice is that even when cold the choke seems to be in the open position. If I spray some starting fluid into the throttle body the mower will start right up and then die 5 seconds or so later. Do you have any suggestions on what I should try next? Could this be the autochoke that has gone bad? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Cbst09
Robert, I have a honda mower Model HRB216txa and the serial number is MAAA-1022187. My problem started with a surging idle last fall, I recently went to start the mower and it wouldnt start at all. I suspected the carb was dirty and rather than mess with trying to clean it I went ahead and purchased a new carburetor and gaskets for $25. Well, the mower still doesn't start, I have fresh gas in the mower, a new air cleaner, and the spark plug looks good. One thing I did notice is that even when cold the choke seems to be in the open position. If I spray some starting fluid into the throttle body the mower will start right up and then die 5 seconds or so later. Do you have any suggestions on what I should try next? Could this be the autochoke that has gone bad? Thanks!

Never mind, I got it figured out. The insulator between the carb and the motor had a piece broken off and the gasket was torn. Replaced both and the mower is running smoother than ever.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Does Idemitsu Lubricants America Corporation still make the Honda Power Equipment 10W-30 motor oil? And is there a product data sheet available? Don't need the safety data sheet.

Yes they do. I got a nice tour of their blending facility a few years ago...they bring in bulk lubricants, additives, etc. via rail/tanker, and it runs through an extensive blending plant before final bottling, packing and outbound shipping. They have an on-site lab for QIC testing as well.

I'll ask our parts folks if we have any data sheets for the 10W-30 product. Stand by.

Welcome!

Love Honda products! My brother has a 1997 Civic with over 300,000 miles on, Also have a 2004? Honda mower and weed trimmer, they are still running strong. Would the Idemitsu-made Honda Power Equipment 10W-30 motor oil have any advantages over a synthetic oil? I am using Mobil 1 in the mower and trimmer, so, would there be any advantage to using Honda oil? Availability isn't a problem, our local Rural King carries the Honda oil, but, I wasn't sure there was any benefit over a synthetic oil.

I know Idemitsu use to make the fluids for Honda automotive. My brother's Civic is a manual transmission, and the Honda manual fluid was made by Idemitsu. But, then Honda switched to Conoco-Phillips.

Is there a possibility that the Honda Power Equipment will start to be made by Conoco-Phillips?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back