Hello everyone! New dude here with some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me say, this is a great site. I must have spent 5 hours just looking through old threads yesterday. I discovered I know virtually nothing about oil
grin.gif
I would like to get recommendations on what I should be using vs. what I use.

Let's start with the Mustang. It's a 2001 Bullitt with the 4.6 engine. It takes mostly short trips, but once a week or so I might drive it 60-100 miles a day. It makes frequent trips to the drag strip and has been down it about 150 times since I got it. I started off with the Motorcraft 5w-20 for the first few changes and switched to Mobil 1 5w-30 after about 8,000 miles. Although it did not consume much, my other vehicles have consumed a good deal when using Mobil 1. And it just seemed pretty black after only 2500 miles every time I changed it. So, back in August I went to Amsoil 0w-30. It has remained very clean looking to this point, at 2300 miles on the change, although after reading posts on here, the color of the Mobil was nothing to concerne myself with.

Next is my work truck. A 1995 F150 with a 302. It's first engine was run on Mobil 1 about half of it's life. I put a lower mileage Mustang 5.0 in it last winter and filled it with Mobil DriveClean 5w-30. I used this for the first several times, running it about 2200-3000 between changes. Never noticed any consumption and came out pretty golden. I switched it to Mobil 1 10w-30 the fourth change and put about 3500 miles on it. I ended up having to add about 2 quarts over that time. The next time I went with 15w-50. Same thing, had to add a couple quarts. This last time I went with 5w-30, because I had several 5 quart containers sitting around. In 4200 miles I had to add 3 quarts. I am not terribly happy about that and it looked filthy. I am not quite sure why it uses so much, but other 302's I have had used it too.

Now my equipment. Lawn mowers, 25, 26, and 27 horse Kohler Commands on these. They recommend 10w-30 in them and the oldest one has had Mobil 1 since about 50 hours. The two newest ones have been changed with Mobil DriveClean a few times and are ready for synthetic. I bought a case of 10w-30 Amsoil the other day and figured I would try that. I can get it cheaper than the Mobil 1 now, so I figured I would give it a shot.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Keith

[ November 05, 2003, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: 01GTB ]

Mobil DCO sucks. I never had a car burn so much oil and now burns way less. DCO to SynPower halved my usage, Synpower to GC halved it again. Since you arwe a Mobil guy, why not 0w-40 in everything? All SAE 30 grades of Syntec meet ACEA A5, a tough spec. 10w-40 Syntec is ACEA A3 and the website now mentions esters. Price is low at Wal*Mart now, $3.99
Pennzoil HMV is a great budget oil, 10% esters and the SUV formula says "time released additives"...nice.

I thought I was a Mobil guy, but that could change
smile.gif
BTW, thanks for the reply.

I would probably use a cheap but good oil like Chevron Delo 15w40 in the pick-up, and that 10w30 Amsoil in everything else.

As long as you can get the Amsoil at that price-go for it. I'm not sure I would be spending all the money on the 302 using Synthetic. Seems like there is a problem with the engine. Does that engine call for 0W-20 or is it an older 302? You could try Delvac 1300 15W-40 or Delo 15W-40

If you like Amsoil stay with it-its a great oil. Should be fine for Lawnmowers.

There are really no good answers on the "best" oil. The only thing though is in Florida you really don't need a '0W' oil so you could simplify your oil inventory by going to a 10W-30 oil for the lawnmowers and the 'Stang.

welcome.gif

First Welcome!
welcome.gif

I would continue using Mobil 1 as I think it is the best all around oil for most cars. If you can get AMSOIL for the same price that would be an excellent choice also. The truck has some sort of problem so I would auto-rx it first and depending on results use maybe a heavy mobil 1
oil like the 20w-50. It may not be necessary after the auto-rx. I am on the first 1500 miles of auto-rx on my 250,000 mile toyota cressida and comsumption seems to be dropping.

Thanks for the welcome and the recommendations
smile.gif

I just went up to the local AZone and they had about 20 quarts of the 0w30 GC on the shelf
shocked.gif
I was tempted to buy it, but since 0w30 apparently is not a good choice for Florida, I left it on the shelf.

quote:

Originally posted by 01GTB:
smile.gif

I just went up to the local AZone and they had about 20 quarts of the 0w30 GC on the shelf
shocked.gif
I was tempted to buy it, but since 0w30 apparently is not a good choice for Florida, I left it on the shelf.

There's no reason you can't use a 0w30 in Florida. It'll provide just as much protection in the heat as 10w30 would.

quote:

Originally posted by 01GTB:
smile.gif

shocked.gif

I'm not saying its a bad choice-it's just that the 0W isn't necessary-Butthe QB appears to be a great oil. Don't overlook it.

OMG, get the GC. Try it once in one car, you will never want another oil. I have used it in 4 cars already, sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back