Hello Bitog Tribologists. Would you like to play a game?

I am posting a VOA from an oil consisting of two other motor oils of the same manufacturer, blended together to make the sample that was tested. I’d like someone to tell me what this resulting motor oil is similar to out there. Maybe you are using something similar right now.

Zinc is 1028, Phosphorous is 879. It has pretty low calcium at 1028. Is has a bit of moly at 58 and it has a Viscosity of 12.37 cSt at 100 C. I don't expect anyone to guess what the two separate motor oils where but if you want to guess that as well, they were minxed at 50/50. Have fun.

PS, I don’t know where the traces of metals came from. Maybe a calibration issue?
I’ll post the actual sheet as soon as it downloads from the cloud.

Snag

That looks like a cross between Motorcraft HDEO 15w-40 and Castrol Edge 5w-30.

What is it you are trying to achieve for what engine/vehicle/use?

I had the two jugs in my possession and I decided one of them had too much Zinc and Phosphorus for me to use it in my gasser that does a small amount of towing. ( yes, it was a HDEO, so RDY4WAR is correct in that). My engine is a LS 6.0 Chev V-8 in a 2008 3/4 ton Suburban.

So I decided to look for the following:
1. A viscosity on the high end of a 5w30 oil sort of like a Euro oil. My engine has 205,000 miles and my idle pressure is around 35 psi. My 1800 rpm oil pressure is at the normal 40 psi. I decided a bit more viscosity would be a good thing.
2. Zinc and Phosphorous higher than the normally allowed 800 ppm but not overly high. I was used to seeing GF-5 oils that were down in the 600-700 ppm range and thought “ why so low”?
3. Some moly for all the moly fans out there.
4. Low calcium if possible. Not important for my engine but if my next engine is direct injection that might be possible. I also mixed up another identical 5 liter jug for next summer from the contents of the two jugs.

Keep in mind this was mostly for fun and I didn’t want to have to find a new home for the HDEO. :)

Last edited:
Here is the report. The zinc was 1016 ppm, not 1028 ppm as I said earlier.
838CDA67-51EB-4DEC-B6B7-B62113F587C0.jpeg

I had the two jugs in my possession and I decided one of them had too much Zinc and Phosphorus for me to use it in my gasser that does a small amount of towing. ( yes, it was a HDEO, so RDY4WAR is correct in that). My engine is a LS 6.0 Chev V-8 in a 2008 3/4 ton Suburban.

So I decided to look for the following:
1. A viscosity on the high end of a 5w30 oil sort of like a Euro oil. My engine has 205,000 miles and my idle pressure is around 35 psi. My 1800 rpm oil pressure is at the normal 40 psi. I decided a bit more viscosity would be a good thing.
2. Zinc and Phosphorous higher than the normally allowed 800 ppm but not overly high. I was used to seeing GF-5 oils that were down in the 600-700 ppm range and thought “ why so low”?
3. Some moly for all the moly fans out there.
4. Low calcium if possible. Not important for my engine but if my next engine is direct injection that might be possible. I also mixed up another identical 5 liter jug for next summer from the contents of the two jugs.

Keep in mind this was mostly for fun and I didn’t want to have to find a new home for the HDEO. :)

If you're not burning any excessive amount of oil, don't worry about higher amounts of ZDDP. There are some drawbacks to increasing ZDDP, but they usually aren't realized until you get into the 1500+ppm range. I wouldn't worry about it and just run the HDEO. I use an oil with ~1200 ppm Zn, ~1050 ppm P in my 2002 Tahoe 5.3L at 265k miles and have used high ZDDP oils for most of its life. It has no problems at all.

A boutique recommendation that's somewhat close to what you're looking for would probably be Driven LS30 5w-30. (VOA below)

Driven LS30 VOA.jpg

Driven LS30 VOA 2.jpg

I personally wouldn't worry about excessive calcium though. Reducing calcium isn't the best method of dealing with LSPI in GDI engines. It's a method the major oil brands were forced into as the better way of increasing ZDDP, MoDTC, and POE is inhibited by SAPS restrictions. There's fleets using oils with >4000 ppm calcium in GDI engines with no LSPI or ash deposit issues. An example of that oil is below.

High Performance Lubricants HDEO 5w-20.jpg

Back