HELLLLLPPPP!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1991 Stanza KA24E 100,350 miles.

I just changed my oil, which had about 3500 miles on it, it was Valvoline 5w30, which I had changed at the Valvoline place. I changed it with Chevron Supreme 5w30. I also changed the oil filter with the proper SuperTech from Walmart. Now, it smokes really badly!! It is a white smoke, and smells wrong. I used 3.5 quarts of oil, .5 of that going into the filter. Do I have the capacity wrong??

What is the actual oil capacity of this engine with filter change??? Also, if the Valvoline place overfilled it (now vaguely remembering them saying that they used 4.5 Quarts), would this cause my problem? I really need to find out what is wrong ASAP, because I need this car for work!!

Any and all comments welcome.

David

White smoke that smells really sweet ain't oil smoke, it's antifreeze. You may have a cracked head or a blown head gasket.

But would this happen right after an oil change? It has been running great, with no signs of coolant loss or drivability issues.

quote:

Originally posted by DJStillman:
But would this happen right after an oil change? It has been running great, with no signs of coolant loss or drivability issues.

If it's a head gasket or a cracked head, changing the oil didn't have anything to do with it. It's just coincidence.

I am afraid G-man is right. A sweet smelling white exhaust means coolant leaking into the combustion chamber. A head gasket or cracked head should also mean loss of coolant, crankcase over filled with muddy brown crud, and the engine not wanting to restart. Adjacent cylinders with low compression is a dead giveaway.

Almost too embarrassed to post a final reply...

We have had spotty rainy weather today, and it ended up that the "smoke" was in effect heavy temp difference making fog.
rolleyes.gif

I feel like an absolute idiot.
pat.gif

Well, on the plus side, the car really likes the Chevron Supreme... Way quieter running noise.

Time to go to bed...

Thank you.

David

HEHE. we've all been there. No biggie. **** i changed my oil only to forget to put the plug in and put 5 fresh quarts of QS into my drain pan one time. then had to walk to the store to buy more due to the fact all my new fresh motor oil was now in the pan with about 2 other nasty, dirty oil changes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back