Helicopter Fuel in Farm Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine called today to ask an arcane question that I can't answer, but I know someone here can.
He manages a farm for a guy who has an aviation repair service. They often have to drain fuel out of helicopters
that are being repaired. They want to recycle this fuel in the farm equipment, which means a diesel tractor and a
'97 GMC diesel pickup.
The aviation mechanics are saying to add one quart of 90 weight oil to every ten gallons of the fuel taken from the helicopters and it's good to go.
My friend is a little doubtful about this money saving experiment, particularly with regard to the old diesel pickup.
What say the experts?

I'd rather add two stroke oil or Non detergent 30 but there's something to this idea. You want to lube the injector pump. If you have only a little bit you can always dole out a gallon at a time.

Kero is Kero.
Mix about twenty percent into the diesel these engines run and you should be fine.
elefino is right in that using an ashless oil as a lube add in the fuel would be better than any other oil.
TWC3 should work well.

If I was going to do it I would mix it with regular diesel. I would not add normal oil, as it will separate back out. If you want use oil, it should be 2 cycle oil that has additives to maintain suspension.

Originally Posted By: lute
A friend of mine called today to ask an arcane question that I can't answer, but I know someone here can. He manages a farm for a guy who has an aviation repair service. They often have to drain fuel out of helicopters that are being repaired. They want to recycle this fuel in the farm equipment, which means a diesel tractor and a '97 GMC diesel pickup.

The aviation mechanics are saying to add one quart of 90 weight oil to every ten gallons of the fuel taken from the helicopters and it's good to go. My friend is a little doubtful about this money saving experiment, particularly with regard to the old diesel pickup. What say the experts?

I'm no expert, but I did a quick Google search for 'using Jet-A in a diesel engine' and found this thread over on TheDieselStop.com

In three words: 'go for it'. It should work without any oil or other additives.

BTW, if you go to Wikipedia and go almost half way down this article to the section entitled Piston Engine Use, they mention that the two fuels are very similar and basically interchangeable.

Various military diesels are qualified to run on Jp-8, which is an additives jet A. I'd personally dilute it with diesel.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
What is the helicopter fuel? Aviation gasoline?

Most use turboshafts, which are essentially jet engines that are designed to turn the rotor. It's jet fuel, which is close to kerosene.

However, I remember an episode of The A Team where Murdock needs to refuel and just drops in a gas station and pumps unleaded.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Why not run what is suppose to be run in an engine with the correct fuel????????????????

I think the idea here is to find a way to use the fuel rather than having to pay for hazardous waste disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back