Heavy oil RANT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Eiron:

Gosh, let's see:

In the first example the guy's already using 20W-50 & he's being told that 10W-40 or 15W-40 should be good.

In the second, the guy's not asking for anything in particular & the suggestions range from 10W-30 thru 15W-40, but nobody's really pushing any vis very hard.

In the last example, we have another guy who's "always" been using 20W-50 (in an engine with over 200k miles on it!), but is asking about 5W/10W-30s. Not too surprisingly, he gets answers that range from 5W-30 thru 15W-50.

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!
shocked.gif

To add

1.Question is about 10w40

Recommendations
10w40
15w-40
10w40 or 5W40
Jsharp says 5w30 sheared down and the VI was the same as 10w40, so he wouldn't use it
if 10W40 is bad a lot of Australians are in big trouble!

10W30 should work well. A 15W40 might be a good choice if the motor is loose
anything from a 10W30 to a 15W40

3. Question is about 5w30 or 10w30 when 20w50 is used
Recommendations
5W-30
5w30
15w50 stepdown or 10W 30 EP, 5 or 10w30 wouldn't be reccomended without proof of no burning
10w40
15w40 in Delo or Delvac
Any 10w30 High Mileage
You don't need a 20W-50
15w50

What do we learn
1. One person stated same vis, one stated higher, one stated lower. All is equal

2. Anything from a 10-30 to a 15w40 if the engine is loose

3. 2 5w30
2 10w30 with warning it may burn
1 10w40
1 15w40
1 15w50

All of these are lower than what is stated as being used, proving quite the opposite as what you are stating

Before you say it, yes this does pertain. There are no THicker is better rants in any of the above threads, just suggestions to stay where you are or go DOWN in viscosity.

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:

quote:

Originally posted by rugerman1:
I might move this to the Humor section before long!
lol.gif

Why are you laughing at me bringing up a valid concern.

Because you appear to be acting like a clown.

I've never had any issue with the way people recommend things on this board. They always appear to be well thought out from recommending 0w-20 for a honda to.. well, 15w-50 for some hondas.

It's easy to spot the poeple who are clowns on this board so you just ignore them or laugh at them. That's the way it is on any internet message board.

True, but never have I asked people to go down. If it states use a 5w30, use a 5w30.

I am trying to stop them from going UP, when it is not needed.

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
And why do you think it's OK to go down but not up? Do you have some statistical data to back this up?

READ THE POSTS, I NEVER ASKED PEOPLE TO DO DOWN!!!!!!
mad.gif

Sorry for the frustration, but for cripes sake I have been asked that too many times in this thread.

[ March 02, 2005, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: BlazerLT ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ugly3:
If economics were the objective then everyone would use the "on sale" dino oil of the appropriate viscosity and a $2 oil filter for a maybe $5 oil change every 3,000 miles. Engines would outlast the body and all would save $$. Total cost of oil changes for 300,000 miles would be $500.

Aren't economics 'the objective' whenever you are having an intelligent conversation about oil changes? I think they are, despite the fact that most people are neither having intelligent conversation here (or in this thread rather), nor willing to admit that economics are their big concern.

BTW, I think I can do better than what you suggest above. 5L of Esso XD-3 0W-30 PAO oil is $15 and getting 15k miles out of XD-3 is no big deal. All other things being equal, the better per mile deal is still using the synthetic as opposed to the department-store bottom-dollar dino oil that dumps tons of volatile contaminants into your expensive gas path instruments. Thats true 'economics'.

I think that this thread has run its course. Please don't start another one on this topic just because this one is closed.

Thanks

dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pitzel:
for example, a 1981 GM I own that still drives like brand new, but was never built to be powerful enough to cruise at modern freeway speeds.

What exactly do you mean by "modern freeway speeds". 65 or 70 mph isn't exactly fast, cars from the 1950's can easily do that. I had a 1979 Mazda GLC with a tiny 4cyl engine that I would regularly drive at 75-80 mph. for extended periods, in spite of the double nickel speed limit that was in effect at that time. Any GM vehicle should be able to do the same (even a Chevette).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back