Heaviest 5w-30 Synthetic?

MPT industries 5w30 has extremely high HTHS.
Viscosity @100 ° C, (ASTM D445) 10.9

Viscosity @ 40 ° C, (ASTM D445) 64.1

Viscosity Index (ASTM D2270) 162

CCS Viscosity cP @ (°C) (ASTM D5293) 3999 (-30)

Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D97) -45 (-49)

Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D92) 238 (460)

Noack Volatility (ASTM D5800) 5.4

High Temperature/High Shear (HTHS) (ASTM D5293) 3.9

Total Base Number (TBN) 12.5

Originally Posted by Jackson_Slugger
Pennzoil Platinum Euro's are thick, the 5W-30 is around 13.2Cst. 0W-30 is also thick. Shella RGT 5W-30 is 11.7cst as is Mobil 1 HM...

You sure you're not thinking of the Euro 5w40, I think 13.2CSt is too thick to be classified as a 30, But in general most Euro spec'd 30s run on the upper end of 30, and most Euro spec'd 40s run on the lighter side of 40.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Pennzoil Platinum Euro's are thick, the 5W-30 is around 13.2Cst. 0W-30 is also thick. Shella RGT 5W-30 is 11.7cst as is Mobil 1 HM...

You sure you're not thinking of the Euro 5w40, I think 13.2CSt is too thick to be classified as a 30, But in general most Euro spec'd 30s run on the upper end of 30, and most Euro spec'd 40s run on the lighter side of 40.

I am a tad over, it's 13.0: https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/635c2f18-190e-435b-b7cc-a291201ed641.pdf

It's actually thicker than the 5W-40, which is 12.8cst. No idea why or how. In any case I wouildn't use Euro L 5W-30 in a gas engine, the add pack isn't for it..

I think the OP's best bet is RGT 5W-30, it's 11.7 and has a $10 rebate...

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
$57.00 for a four quart jug.
Ouchie-Wowchie

Noooo.. that's a rip-off. Amazon has the gallon jugs for $27 and I've seen it as low as $25 for 4qts. Yeah so it's def' not a "value" lube price wise and it's up against some other really good lubes in the +$25 range. But the specs on it make it look like a solid lube. I've yet to bring myself to cough up the cash for it but I think at some point I'm just gonna say to heck with being a cheapskate! ...‚🤘

Originally Posted by spiderbypass

I don't see MPT listed in the API database. And their product description says "meets" and "suitable" only.

Last edited:
That 13 CST number for that Pennzoil euro 5W30 is most likely a typo or intentional misprint. They don't even show the HTHS or Noack on the referenced chart. Snake oil.
RAVENOL FOR THE WIN!!!!

Originally Posted by sloinker
That 13 CST number for that Pennzoil euro 5W30 is most likely a typo or intentional misprint. They don't even show the HTHS or Noack on the referenced chart. Snake oil.
RAVENOL FOR THE WIN!!!!

Pennzoil pds were always lottery.
Euro L is at most 12.1cst. 5W40 Euro is 12.8cst.

That 13 CST number for that Pennzoil euro 5W30 is most likely a typo or intentional misprint.

You mean PP Euro L 5W-30.

I think KV100 = 13.0 cSt in the datasheet is correct. While this is counterintuitive unless you fully understand how a multigrade oil is made from a base oil and a VII, a higher KV100 for a given HTHS indicates a thinner base oil and more VII. In fact it's obvious that this oil is loaded with VII according its very high VI = 189. This is because HTHS is the viscosity under shear and KV is the low-shear viscosity. Therefore, when the difference between KV100 and HTHS increases, the VII content, which is subject to temporary shear, is increasing to keep the HTHS the same and the base oil is getting thinner because there is more VII that thickens the oil.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
That 13 CST number for that Pennzoil euro 5W30 is most likely a typo or intentional misprint.

You mean PP Euro L 5W-30.

I think KV100 = 13.0 cSt in the datasheet is correct. While this is counterintuitive unless you fully understand how a multigrade oil is made from a base oil and a VII, a higher KV100 for a given HTHS indicates a thinner base oil and more VII. In fact it's obvious that this oil is loaded with VII according its very high VI = 189. This is because HTHS is the viscosity under shear and KV is the low-shear viscosity. Therefore, when the difference between KV100 and HTHS increases, the VII content, which is subject to temporary shear, is increasing to keep the HTHS the same and the base oil is getting thinner because there is more VII that thickens the oil.

OK, what that has to do with the fact that 13cst is W40 oil? Unless Pennzoil is packing W40 oil and sells it as W30 oil.
Also, previous pds and a lot of UOA indicate 12cst range.

Originally Posted by edyvw
OK, what that has to do with the fact that 13cst is W40 oil? Unless Pennzoil is packing W40 oil and sells it as W30 oil.

OK, now, I see your point that the maximum possible KV100 = 12.49 cSt for SAE 30. I don't know these numbers by heart.

In that case it's either a typo or an unusual batch they tested. If the intended value was 12.4 cSt, the deviation would be less than 5%; so, perhaps it's allowed by the industry.
21.gif

Originally Posted by Gokhan

OK, now, I see your point that the maximum possible KV100 = 12.49 cSt for SAE 30. I don't know these numbers by heart.

In that case it's either a typo or an unusual batch they tested. If the intended value was 12.4 cSt, the deviation would be less than 5%; so, perhaps it's allowed by the industry.
21.gif

Considering previous Pennzoil pds, I would say it is negligence in creating pds.

In a PCMO , I don't think about what goes in a sump what I care most is what comes out after 7 K Miles . I want an oil that will hold up not loose 20% of its viscosity & turn out of grade . Now using 5w 20 EDGE when changed oil remained in Grade . Most ACEA OW 5W 30 WILL HOLD VIS much better after 10 K run than any API PCMO . JUST MY 2 cents

Euro L is at most 12.1cst. 5W40 Euro is 12.8cst.[/quote]

No it isn't:

a.) 5W-30 L 12.63 cst

The lowest recent PDS shows it 12.38. BTW, I told the OP not to use it. No reason to use boutique German oil in a Hyundai either...

Euro L is at most 12.1cst. 5W40 Euro is 12.8cst.

No it isn't:

a.) 5W-30 L 12.63 cst

The lowest recent PDS shows it 12.38. BTW, I told the OP not to use it. No reason to use boutique German oil in a Hyundai either...

You do know oils can thicken during exploitation?
Also, if PP Euro L is above 12.5cst and like that being sent to vehicle manufacturer to be approved as 5W30 oil, sample would be returned and not approved.
As for Hyundai, Hyundai itself does not know what oil they recommend to consumers.

Last edited:
Pennzoil has lost its credibility when it comes to their published specifications . I'm thinkin' the extensively advertised GTL oils have much less GTL content by volume than consumers believe. The Semi-Synthetic of a new millennium.

Pennzoil has lost its credibility when it comes to their published specifications . I'm thinkin' the extensively advertised GTL oils have much less GTL content by volume than consumers believe. The Semi-Synthetic of a new millennium.

What GTL content is in is up for debate. What is not up for debate is that they have slew of approvals.

I'm not saying it isn't a good oil. In a highly competitive marketplace they all tend to push the limits in truth in advertising imo.

I'm not saying it isn't a good oil. In a highly competitive marketplace they all tend to push the limits in truth in advertising imo.

There is no doubt about that. They all claim they are the best. That is why there are approval processes, at least among European manufacturers.

Originally Posted by spiderbypass
Viscosity @100 ° C, (ASTM D445) 10.9

Viscosity @ 40 ° C, (ASTM D445) 64.1

Viscosity Index (ASTM D2270) 162

CCS Viscosity cP @ (°C) (ASTM D5293) 3999 (-30)

Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D97) -45 (-49)

Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D92) 238 (460)

Noack Volatility (ASTM D5800) 5.4

High Temperature/High Shear (HTHS) (ASTM D5293) 3.9

Total Base Number (TBN) 12.5

never heard of this company,
they got some nasty numbers [censored].impressive.

Back