Heavier weight motor oils during winter climates...

Hey Guys, What are your opinions/suggestions running thicker oil weights during winter climates? As many you know, I'm currently running Delvac 5W40 in a car recommended to run 5W30. Anyway, I do a lot of frequent short trips during the course of the day (7-20km avg.). I'm assuming at this point, that the oil will be harder to pump if the engine is somewhat warm. I'm a tad worried about this. Comments? Thanks, Oz

Sorry, thought you meant cold pumpabiLity. Look at how much thinner oil is when warm. It is 1/6th as viscous. Oil is only relatively thick when cold. You mileage will decrease .5 to 2% [ August 13, 2002, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: jjbula ]

The_Oz

I could care less about mileage. I care about protection, baby! Anyway, I guess it's the same whether it's summer or winter. Only difference is the oil gets cold faster... ...I hope, Oz

<b>Oz:</b> I use our European 5W40 (PAO) all year long. I have seen cold winter nights of -30 to -35 and I have never had any problems. Like what your using, flows like a 5W when cold and like a 40W when hot. Keep using it.