Heavier oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PontiacHO
Originally Posted by Olas
a leakdown test will tell you where the oil is leaking into the cylinder.

replace the worn/faulty component.

No. Leak down can't test the integrity of valve seals. Valve Seats, rings, and head gasket yes.

I think he suggested a leak down because the OP indicated in his original post that he wasn't sure if he also had bad rings. Which case, a leak down/compression would be helpful in diagnosing this.

Last edited:
Ok
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Sit down with the Campus Board of Trustees and tell them longetivity for this vehicle depends on someone taking the truck off-campus and on the freeway every two weeks for at least 15-20 minutes of higher speeds driving. Tell them you will do it and not leave any McDonald's wrappers on the backseat floor.....lol

Oh, it has its share of McDonald's wrappers. Actually, I've owned the vehicle for the past five years. The oil consumption seems fairly recent. As the 5W/20 is consumed, I will top off with a heavier oil, 10W/40 or a straight 40 weight until the next oil change. Will switch to a twice per year OCI.

In general, if there is ever a need or desire to change viscosity, or if there is any oil weight shortcomings ... the viscosity change should always be in the upwards direction. Never lower.

Even if your car is running perfect but decide to play with the viscosity grade (welcome to bitog), you will be much safer moving up a notch - from the recommended weight - than down.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
In general, if there is ever a need or desire to change viscosity, or if there is any oil weight shortcomings ... the viscosity change should always be in the upwards direction. Never lower.

Even if your car is running perfect but decide to play with the viscosity grade (welcome to bitog), you will be much safer moving up a notch - from the recommended weight - than down.

The vehicle is 29 years old and had an estimated 116k miles. I don't perceive any shortcomings in the oil. The shortcomings are in the mechanical condition of the vehicle. It runs great, smokes some, and does what a beater truck should do; gets me from point A to point B. For a couple hundred dollars, I would replace the valve stem seals. Otherwise, it's not worth fixing. If a thicker oil will slow the consumption, I will give it a try. Got nothing to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back