Heatwave Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears we are going to get some of the same conditions here next week - temps expected to hit 30 degrees here. I might have to pull a sicky.

Originally Posted by Silk
It appears we are going to get some of the same conditions here next week - temps expected to hit 30 degrees here.

Put a minus sign in front of that 30, and that's what my Wednesday morning will look like, Celsius. This afternoon, we were at around 30 F for a while. A weird storm system is going through, and gave us a very warm day, in fact above 30 F, some snow, some rain, and a lot of wind, followed by a lot more cold. As it was, it must have cooled by 10 C in under an hour this afternoon.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by hpb
Ok, 50C is just a little hot, but otherwise we'll keep our warm weather thanks, and the Northern Hemisphere can keep its snow, ice and below freezing conditions! I would have to be on huge wages to live somewhere like that.

My state is currently being ravaged by bush fires...supposed to rain in the next couple of days, hopefully that will help calm things down.

It's my understanding that this photo was taken in Tasmania. Mount Mawson to be exact.

Oh for sure it snows in the high country, very few people live there though - so if you want to see snow, you have to go look for it. And it's for a few weeks of the year at best.

We're about 100 miles inland, near the top of the great divide...rain here goes to Sydney, Rain in Bathurst, 45 miles away goes inland and ends up in South Oz.

We get snow a few times a year, but it's variable...October is crazy...one year snow that we can't get to work, next year bushfires threaten the town, year after snow again.

We had a record cold of -11 in July, and I've routinely had the coolant, transmission, and ambient temperatures on the Colorado at 40C when I start up at 17:30 for trip home from work.

Yes the grid is struggling...the concept of "orderly transition" to renewables is hogwash without central planning.

Originally Posted by Shannow
We're about 100 miles inland, near the top of the great divide...rain here goes to Sydney, Rain in Bathurst, 45 miles away goes inland and ends up in South Oz.

We get snow a few times a year, but it's variable...October is crazy...one year snow that we can't get to work, next year bushfires threaten the town, year after snow again.

We had a record cold of -11 in July, and I've routinely had the coolant, transmission, and ambient temperatures on the Colorado at 40C when I start up at 17:30 for trip home from work.

Yes the grid is struggling...the concept of "orderly transition" to renewables is hogwash without central planning.

Yes but you should be happy you are saving the planet while you sweat profusely. ...…

My state survived pretty OK...not like Victoria and South Australia...South Australia's last coaler closed down quite a few years ago, with the -ve prices during the day (duck curve) making it too much of a risk to it's owners (if prices go -ve, they have to pay for every MWh that they produce up to $10/kWh)...Victoria lost 1,800MW of brown coal relatively recently.

So on Friday, here's what happened to the wholesale prices...it's $/MWh, so divide the number by 10 to get c/kWh.

6ABF671D-EBD9-4327-A12B-72E74407E0D6.jpeg

C3DE3617-C5F1-4E73-87B0-00127601EE03.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by hpb
Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by hpb
Ok, 50C is just a little hot, but otherwise we'll keep our warm weather thanks, and the Northern Hemisphere can keep its snow, ice and below freezing conditions! I would have to be on huge wages to live somewhere like that.

My state is currently being ravaged by bush fires...supposed to rain in the next couple of days, hopefully that will help calm things down.

It's my understanding that this photo was taken in Tasmania. Mount Mawson to be exact.

Oh for sure it snows in the high country, very few people live there though - so if you want to see snow, you have to go look for it. And it's for a few weeks of the year at best.

It definitely snows in California. And not just the Cascades and Sierra Nevada. There's a ski resort just 90 mines from the edge of Los Angeles County.

https://www.bigbearmountainresort.com/winter/mountain-information/web-cams

I've spent most of summer in the sea or the local council pool teaching my son to swim. He's like a dolphin now days but with a good sun tan.

This is a nice swimming creek near me
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SR5
I've spent most of summer in the sea or the local council pool teaching my son to swim. He's like a dolphin now days but with a good sun tan.

This is a nice swimming creek near me
[Linked Image]

Omg, lucky you! I havent seen the sun in 3 weeks, only darkness and cold weather. Almost -40c in northern Finland

Oz has just had its hottest January in over 100 years - the mean temperature, averaged across the entire country, exceed 30C (86F). And that's coming off the back of our hottest ever December! Long may the warm weather continue
smile.gif

hpb,
a podcast I was listening to on Thursday said that Tasmania had 900+km of fire front on an island 320km wide.

Is that right ?

That's what they've been reporting. Luckily I've had no fires near where I am. There's some satellite pics doing the rounds showing just how much has been burnt. As I understand it, the fires have been getting very little media coverage on the mainland.

Yes, very little.
What I've been hearing is from a podcaster I've been following for ages who has just recently bought property on the Huon to set up a permaculture farm and B and B...they've been evacuated.

And we hear nothing on mainland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back