heater cores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any ideas on how to extend the life of a heater core?I hate replacing these!I'd rather poke my eyes out with an ice pick.

Originally Posted By: gonzo
Any ideas on how to extend the life of a heater core?I hate replacing these!I'd rather poke my eyes out with an ice pick.

Whatzzamatter? Got a Crown Vic?

I agree, find a copper one and use some distilled water. When you change it out again flush the block to get any contaminants out also. Distilled water can be made a moot point if you leave a bunch of the old coolant, water, and chunks of calcium in the system.

Reverse the heater hoses at the heater core by switching them and this does work.

Last edited:
In all the cars I have owned I have never needed to replace one or a radiator for that matter, but I also drain/refill my radiator with 60/40 mix of Water/A.F. just before each winter regardless of mileage so maybe that is why...
wink.gif

How long do you hang on to your cars?

My experience is quite the opposite. I find that regardless of how well I maintain the coolant, radiators need to me replaced at the 10-15 year mark.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
How long do you hang on to your cars?

My experience is quite the opposite. I find that regardless of how well I maintain the coolant, radiators need to me replaced at the 10-15 year mark.
400K KM or more...

I have also saved plugged heater cores on other peoples vehicles by disconnecting the heater core hoses, and filling the heater core with CLR & Boiling water at a 1:2 ratio (more water), for about 40 minutes, then I blow it out by hooking up compressed air to one of the hoses, rinse with boiling water, and refill again. Usually only takes 3 times and the heater core is clean and can be reused.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
In all the cars I have owned I have never needed to replace one or a radiator for that matter, but I also drain/refill my radiator with 60/40 mix of Water/A.F. just before each winter regardless of mileage so maybe that is why...
wink.gif

Using 60/40 water/antifreeze could lead to a frozen block in Canada except, maybe, in BC. I think you are in Ontario, StevieC.

Sorry I just realized I had that backwards... It's a 60% Glycol / 40% water mixture that I use...

Here is a good chart I found...

680.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gonzo
The problem isn't plugged cores.My problem is leaky heater cores due to corrosion.

It is likely that possibly exhaust gases are leaching into the coolant by way of a gasket leak or some sort. But most importantly is changing out the coolant every few years with the correct coolant and DISTILLED water.

If your coolant is in good shape, there is not much you can do to extend your heater core life.
Maybe you could run as little pressure in the system as possible, to attenuate the expansion/relaxing of the part and joints.
A different radiator cap rated with a lower pressure would do this.
As long as you don't over heat and boil over, this is OK.
But keeping the coolant in great shape is all that I would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back