Heated Seats and Potential Fire Hazards.

MolaKule

Staff member
Ok, this applies to a Nissan 2015 4WD PathFinder, Platinum.

Left seat heater switch failed. When Left seat heater switch was replaced the heating element would still not function.

Tech's found the connector going to control module, part number 873D6-9PF0A, had wiring that melted at the connector since connector pins had overheated. So because of burnt connections, the above control module AND the connector and wiring harness had to be replaced.

This is one issue that will be documented and sent to both the NHTSA and Nissan Consumer Affairs. This is a potential fire hazard folks. I had the dealer save the faulty parts for documentation.

Just thought you would like to know of this potential fire hazard.

Last edited:
Could be. Proper electrical/electronic engineering design says you size the connector pins to carry the required current passing through them. Poor design IMHO.

It's been going on for decades. I remember the 1980s Ford 2G alternator with the two 1/4" spade "quick connect" terminals for the output. Replacement alternators came with a new plug, because the original was likely burned up. Alternators before and after that one used a stud for the output. Blower motor resistor connectors are another frequent trouble spot, along with headlight bulb connectors.

Aftermarket pigtails are often available for connectors that are known to burn out.

Two of my friends escaped from their Volvo that caught fire because of malfunctioning seat heaters.

I later sold them my '86 740 Turbo. Its seat heaters no longer working didn't bother them.

In my previous 2013 Maxima and the current 2019 QX60 the seats get hot enough on the medium setting, I can't imagine using the full blast setting!

Ok, this applies to a Nissan 2015 4WD PathFinder, Platinum.

Left seat heater switch failed. When Left seat heater switch was replaced the heating element would still not function.

Tech's found the connector going to control module, part number 873D6-9PF0A, had wiring that melted at the connector since connector pins had overheated. So because of burnt connections, the above control module AND the connector and wiring harness had to be replaced.

This is one issue that will be documented and sent to both the NHTSA and Nissan Consumer Affairs. This is a potential fire hazard folks. I had the dealer save the faulty parts for documentation.

Just thought you would like to know of this potential fire hazard.
Where is this melted connector located in the car?

In my previous 2013 Maxima and the current 2019 QX60 the seats get hot enough on the medium setting, I can't imagine using the full blast setting!
I suppose the full blast setting is for people with extra fat rear ends, which take up a considerable amount of real estate on the seat. Medium setting doesn’t stand a chance to the size of some waist sizes.

Glad the OP reported this to the NHTSA. It takes consumers and insurance companies to report this stuff in order to institute a recall. Most manufacturers will not step up unless pressured. And many times only have a "hidden warranty"...which assumes the consumer comes back to the dealer for service and repair...then the manufacturer may cover it, since they know they have a problem.

But in the manufacturer's defence, it could also be a one off, where the electrical connection was bad or defective, causing a lot of resistance resulting in the melted connections.

But if there are a couple dozen or more reports of the same problem, it is likely to get eyes on the problem...and a free repair.

BMW had a full recall on the 7 series about 11 years or so ago. The heater elements were overheating and burning right through the seat leather...the pictures I saw online were scary. Until they could fix them all, they sent letters to owners to not use the feature. My friend owned a pair of those cars...a V8 and V12.

Back