Heat, tpms, Continental True Contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope this is the right forum subsection, if not, mods please move correctly.
After 9000 four season miles, I got a tire warning light yesterday on the interstate.
Checked all four tires and they seemed sound.
Rechecked after the night, and they read 32 front, 30 rear, and the spare was at 32. As per manual.
Started that morning, no warning light, and drove for an hour. No light.
Light returned after about an hour and a half, but I was able to pull off and get an accurate reading.
37 front, 35 rear, and I'm sure the spare didn't change much. That difference started me thinking as to the tpms system and at what psi reading should I keep the spare to avoid this issue in the future.
Your thoughts and experiences?

Is your warning light the tire warning, or the TPMS system light/ How old is the car/tire sensors? OEM sensors can fizzle in 6-7 years, and need episodic replacement.

TPMS light came on last week in the CRV. Pressures are good. One sensor is bad. Just ordered 4 new ones. If one goes out I'm sure the others will follow.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
If one goes out I'm sure the others will follow.

Not true...I have a 10 year old vehicle that has 1 bad monitor that works part of the time for almost 3 years now. Haven't replaced any yet. At $40 a pop...it's to much to spend on something that still works.

Suffering 3-4 years with a -sometimes functional, sometimes not- TPMS system, then replace 4 sensors and get rid of the vehicle 2 years later is even worse.

TPMS warning light.
2014 Subaru 48k, 9k on tires.

I'm thinking a bad sensor is the culprit.

Originally Posted By: Warstud

Not true...I have a 10 year old vehicle that has 1 bad monitor that works part of the time for almost 3 years now. Haven't replaced any yet. At $40 a pop...it's to much to spend on something that still works.

Consider yourself lucky then.

Originally Posted By: Warstud

Working part of the time means something is about to go out. The CRV was that way for two years.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Hope this is the right forum subsection, if not, mods please move correctly.
After 9000 four season miles, I got a tire warning light yesterday on the interstate.
Checked all four tires and they seemed sound.
Rechecked after the night, and they read 32 front, 30 rear, and the spare was at 32. As per manual.
Started that morning, no warning light, and drove for an hour. No light.
Light returned after about an hour and a half, but I was able to pull off and get an accurate reading.
37 front, 35 rear, and I'm sure the spare didn't change much. That difference started me thinking as to the tpms system and at what psi reading should I keep the spare to avoid this issue in the future.
Your thoughts and experiences?
same thing happend on my old impala when a sensor was goin out.

Spend $3 dollars on a pressure gauge and take 2 minutes of your time and stop relying on tpms. Unbelievable. More trouble than its worth.

except you can't use the gauge while driving...

I don't have TPMS either though, and don't miss it as such but I do consider the instant detection of a tyre going flat (before being felt inside) a huge benefit. ABS system based flat tyre detection would do for me...

I'm fine using a gauge and going without TPMS. The aggravation I run into is at least in the volvo - when TPMS acts up, you get a solid light for low pressure and a FLASHING light for errors. So any morning it's below 40F, I awake to the solid, and spend the rest of the drive in with it flashing. Flashing is hard to ignore. I doubt I can disable it in the volvo. I may actually suck it up when it becomes a permanent condition and let someone fix it.

Originally Posted By: asb151
Spend $3 dollars on a pressure gauge and take 2 minutes of your time and stop relying on tpms. Unbelievable. More trouble than its worth.

I wish my car had the US style TPMS with sensors in the wheels instead of the passive ABS based system we get in Canada. With a small iDrive hack, can get a screen that shows current tire pressure and temperature. Would be really handy while driving.

RDC-3.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asb151
i

I did. The pressures were listed hot and cold.

Make sure your gauge is accurate.
Find someone (or preferably two) with a high quality dial or digital gauge to check it against.
I have two dial and one digital gauge and compare them occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back