Heard a Person Get Hit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I was running (on foot) to a well-used multi-use path nearby, and heard a "crunch" coming from up ahead. I look for the noise, and see a full-size pickup stopped in the middle of a right-hand turn with a person on a cell phone, a bike underneath, and another person dusting themselves off on the grass.

Here's a street view if you follow the link. The truck was just ahead of the stop line.
street view

I'm guessing the person on the bike came off the sidewalk assuming the truck was going to see them and stop, had no idea the truck was moving, or didn't see the truck. The person on the bike was riding against the flow of traffic on the sidewalk, and trying to cross a very busy intersection controlled only by a stop sign.

Be careful out there, folks!

I don't know. I'm making an educated guess they were a bit scraped and bruised seeing how they were walking around and not yelling in pain. The park ranger was heading to the scene and a police car screamed up while I was watching.

I had something similar happen about 25 yards behind me one day on my walk to work from the train. I was crossing a bridge and heard this collective gasp behind me, and when I turned around I saw that a cab had run up onto the sidewalk. A couple of pedestrians were clipped, but fortunately, no one was seriously hurt. I'm glad I was where I was though because I passed that spot right before it happened.

I was at a four way stop a few days ago when two kids (young teenagers, not small kids) rode off the sidewalk, without stopping, against the flow of traffic in front of me when it was my turn to go. I started accelerating as they were about to cross in front of me and they had to quickly adjust their path. I slammed on the brakes a few inches away from them. Hopefully I came close enough to scare them a bit, so they don't do it again with someone who doesn't see them coming.

Yep the cavalier attitude is what gets people killed on bikes and crossing streets.......

Sad thing is People driving cars get the same cavalier attitude as well. One person with the wrong frame of mind is bad enough. But when they both have it.......watch out!

In this town (Vegas, baby), there are a lot of bicyclists riding on the wrong side of the street, crossing intersections while riding in the crosswalk, thinking they have the same right of way as a pedestrian. I don't have the heart to hit one to teach them a lesson, but I've scared a few. Had words with one that thought better of it after a short discussion.

I've yelled at a few wrong-way folks when I've passed them on my road bike. I hope they get the message before they get hit. I'm out there riding with traffic in my yellow jersey with blinkies going at all times, and they're wearing dark clothing riding the wrong way. No wonder folks around me have no respect for bicycles. For every rule-following rider there are 10 who don't follow any safe practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back