Health and Wellness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I need to combine protein sources at each meal to make sure I get all essential amino acids?
No. It's a myth. Nearly all whole foods (including greens and veggies) contain protein, and nearly all forms of protein contain all protein-forming amino acids in some quantity. If you eat a variety of nutrient-rich, whole foods, your body will work its magic to store what it needs to function optimally. Scientists used to claim that herbivores would develop protein deficiency if they didn't get essential amino acids in proper, combined amounts at every meal. But our bodies are amazing. See, when we eat, amino acid "deposits" are made into a "storage bank," and the body then takes what it needs as it's needed. So, you don't have to eat complementary proteins together with each meal in an effort to make complete protein. Your body has a system already set up; you just need to eat a variety of foods to fill the bank. By eating a variety of plant foods with "incomplete proteins" throughout the day, we can easily get enough "complete protein."

Picture a giant 400lb gorilla. What does he eat to grow that strong, muscular body? Leaves, stems, roots, seeds and fruit (and maybe the occasional insect that lives on those foods). The body actually works less (uses less energy) to process protein from a vegetable-based diet than it does from a meat-based diet, too. This energy conservation is great for more efficient healing, building and overall optimal health. Most plant-based protein sources, contrary to animal-based sources, are also alkalizing for the body. Which means less aches and pains, freedom from disease, better sleep, happier moods, improved memory and concentration, stronger/more efficient digestion and an overall better state of health.

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
Do I need to combine protein sources at each meal to make sure I get all essential amino acids?
No. It's a myth. Nearly all whole foods (including greens and veggies) contain protein, and nearly all forms of protein contain all protein-forming amino acids in some quantity. If you eat a variety of nutrient-rich, whole foods, your body will work its magic to store what it needs to function optimally. Scientists used to claim that herbivores would develop protein deficiency if they didn't get essential amino acids in proper, combined amounts at every meal. But our bodies are amazing. See, when we eat, amino acid "deposits" are made into a "storage bank," and the body then takes what it needs as it's needed. So, you don't have to eat complementary proteins together with each meal in an effort to make complete protein. Your body has a system already set up; you just need to eat a variety of foods to fill the bank. By eating a variety of plant foods with "incomplete proteins" throughout the day, we can easily get enough "complete protein."

Picture a giant 400lb gorilla. What does he eat to grow that strong, muscular body? Leaves, stems, roots, seeds and fruit (and maybe the occasional insect that lives on those foods). The body actually works less (uses less energy) to process protein from a vegetable-based diet than it does from a meat-based diet, too. This energy conservation is great for more efficient healing, building and overall optimal health. Most plant-based protein sources, contrary to animal-based sources, are also alkalizing for the body. Which means less aches and pains, freedom from disease, better sleep, happier moods, improved memory and concentration, stronger/more efficient digestion and an overall better state of health.

I have seen the analogy thrown around quite a bit regarding how animals process plant protein. Is there any evidence we should legitimately be basing our dietary guidance of of a completely different species?

Just eat a balanced meal at the proper times.

Not sure what a gorilla has to do with a human diet. We're not gorillas and we don't have a gorilla digestive system. I'm also not going to eat 3 cups of lentils to equal the same amount of protein but triple the calories as a piece of 8oz chicken breast.

Last edited:
It's not hard to prepare and eat a healthy diet. You don't need fad diets or youtube videos, just a bit of common sense. Stay away from fast foods, highly processed foods and processed sugars. Keep a decent balance of meats, vegetables and fruits (the natural sugars in fruits digest differently because of the fiber). Watch your overall caloric intake and understand how your body processes calories. Exercise regularly and skip all of the fad pills and potions.

As my wife would say, "Well bless your heart!" You copied and pasted from a vegan site called YumUniverse, which has absolutely zero credibility. The article doesn't even list who authored it-likely some nitwit intern who wrote up an article about nail polish the day before.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
As my wife would say, "Well bless your heart!" You copied and pasted from a vegan site called YumUniverse, which has absolutely zero credibility. The article doesn't even list who authored it-likely some nitwit intern who wrote up an article about nail polish the day before.

Oh wow lol Somebody tried to say that to me some time ago too. Imagine the farts you'll get from eating 3 cups of beans to match an 8oz chicken breast.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Good luck if you try a starch based diet and you are diabetic lol. What a loon.

If you have autoimmune problems and your own body deteriorates your joints due to allergies

Yes eating something you aren't allergic too could reduce and stop the inflammation

Though a sugar drip would do the same and be just as unhealthy in the long term.

Originally Posted by dave123
Boy this guy can post up some garbage from time to time.

He's retired with (lots of) time on his hands...
You should see the emails I get from my FIL. Shean hannity is a baby.

Back to topic:
Can you re-post that amazing filing salad recipe?

Overly simplistic (as usual in these threads)...the Gorrillamicrobiome breaks down the leave and produces medium chain fats that the gorrilla uses for energy....you or I eat those leaves for a week,and it won't do the same.

https://ww2.energy.ca.gov/almanac/electricity_data/web_qfer/Heat_Rates_cms.php

Gorrilla microbiome changes depending on the season, and changes drastically during fruit season.

So to say "eat leaves and fruit" is only realistically "naturall" if in season fruit is eaten exclusively, and leaves the rest.

The reason that we can get diabetese is due to the evolutionary advantageof being able to storeall those seasonal sugars as fat foruse later...then we westernise and eatthem every day and wonder why we have problems.

Retrograde your starches, and yourmicrobiome flourishes.

I have diabetes and have been learning how to cure myself of it. From what I've learned, over-consumption of carbohydrates is the root cause of Metabolic Syndrome (diabetes, cardiovascular disease, hypertension, etc) so John McDougall speaks nonsense. There is no minimum dally requirement for carbohydrates because the body can synthesize all it requires. I've cut way back on starches (bread, potatoes, etc) and eat as much high-fat, minimally-processed foods as I can - I've slowly been losing weight and my blood sugars have never been better.

I find that if I can write about what I'm learning, I will understand it better so here is what I've learned so far: Diabetes and Weight Loss.

See also:
Dr Paul Mason: Using low carbohydra...resistance and treat metabolic syndrome.
Dr. Benjamin Bikman - 'Insulin vs. Glucagon: The relevance of dietary protein'
Dr. Paul Mason - 'How lectins impact your health - from obesity to autoimmune disease'

No. It's a myth. Nearly all whole foods (including greens and veggies) contain protein, and nearly all forms of protein contain all protein-forming amino acids in some quantity.

Picture a giant 400lb gorilla. What does he eat to grow that strong, muscular body? Leaves, stems, roots, seeds and fruit (and maybe the occasional insect that lives on those foods)

You're playing loose with facts..

- not all plant derived proteins contain all of the essential amino acids our bodies need. Some plant proteins lack an amino acid or two all together. Soy is widely considered the most complete plant protein there is but even soy has so little of several amino acids, that alone, it's not considered sufficient for human dietary needs. Don't take my word for it.. look it up.

- like many primates, gorillas eat insects (they have an affinity for termites so it's more than the "occasional" bug). Oz for oz, insects are very energy dense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back