Heading south on I-25 tonight and saw something unusual.

I passed about 6-8 Older Toyota 4X4's being flat towed by all manner of other make pickups. The convoy was going about 65MPH on the 80 mph freeway. Just wondered what was up.

I see it often here in CO. It's usually vehicles purchased at auction being hauled to Mexico.

Usually that’s the case here with school buses. I think they get them at auction and take them to Mexico or somewhere down that way. My dad is a truck driver and sees them heading towards Texas a lot so that makes me think they take them to Mexico.

You can sit at the Timmies in Cranbrook and watch the vehicle carriers loaded with pickup trucks headed to the US border. The 30% difference in the dollar makes it economical to ship used trucks from Canada into the USA. :)

Drive anywhere near the Texas/Mexico border, you will see tons of car auction caravans hauling salvage vehicles back to Mexico.

I once seen a pontiac vibe pulling two vehicles at once.

We used to sell lots of IT equipment to Mexicans who own repair shops near the border. They would buy a truckload of used printers, and fix them up to sell them in Mexico.

Working in Ag in Iowa, we would hire lots of Texans to work. It was generally a rule that every family member drove a car back to TX. They sold them in TX to people who would take them over the border. There are strict rules about US purchased cars there, but our workers still made a good buck getting them to TX. Rust, dents, and matching paint didn't matter as long as it ran good.

While in Mexico for work, I saw TONS of cars with MN plates that were long expired. They were the cars I would see on I-35 being towed down over the years, apparently.

I once saw a late 60's Dodge Demon in Puerto Rico with NY plates. That didn't get driven there....

Actually I just came across the article on NPR as my dad saw this. Several junk dealers in Guatemala of all places are buying up the last of the old 70's and 80's pick up trucks and dropping some off in Mexico. I can't seem to find the article now, but it sounds like even Mexico is giving a hard pass on the really rough trucks. One guy NPR interviewed from Guatemala said that he can make a few hundred dollars per month as Americans throw away so much (bikes, cars, lawn mowers, riding mowers generators etc). Think about this Anerica disposed of 13 Million cars last year. Most could have been repaired and put back on the road but we have a throw it away mentality.

Back