Headed from Chicago to El Paso, TX on a motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have nothing, but respect for him. Salute and a true rider at heart.

But part of me talks about; snow, traction, storm, wind, crazy drivers in bad weather...

Hope he stays safe and make it to his destination without any hiccup.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Originally Posted By: Starman2112
That’s beyond stupid.

Exactly...0 degrees or below, on snow and ice. Not so much about the cold though I would never do it in those temps, it's about traction or the lack thereof !

the winter of 1982 - two weeks it never got above zero.
with windchill it hit minus 47

dressed up like the michelin man - and my scott mx boots (the red/blue plastic ones) and went
mx riding on the frozen ponds. you learn to brake (or not) and throttle control at its best.
do something wrong and boom you are down faster than you can blink. just glad my yz125 didnt weigh that much for all those times i hit the ice. lifting it was as much about traction with my own feet as anything.

its all about traction!!!

What's he got for tires? I've heard of guys riding these in winter successfully.

I guess with studded tires you could ride a big bike reasonably safely(not fall down by yourself), in the day atleast when you could avoid the deeper snow and slush areas. You wouldn't have much handling left to avoid a surprise though.
Well hope the guy makes it OK, I doubt he'll do it again but it will make a good story.

Originally Posted By: sunruh

dressed up like the michelin man - and my scott mx boots (the red/blue plastic ones)

Man I had a pair of those Scott boots back then too! Still have them in fact, even the original box they came in. I took them to the mx track not long ago to show my riding buddies and they were all "what the h*** are those??????". Those were the big thing back then, once Bob Hannah showed up with them they flew off the shelves. And not cheap either.

There is an annual winter rally in Norway called the Crystal Rally attended by hundreds of motorcyclists from all over Europe. It gets down to -20 C so they use spiked tires or add a sidecar or to keep upright. Too much for me. I've commuted to work right through winter on a motorcycle for the last 10 years but the lowest I've seen is -8 C and it's only a 15 min ride. Snow I don't mind if I could be left to my own devices. It's the other vehicles that are dangerous.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
BMW Riders are RIDERS! Not unusual for BMW Riders. (GoldWing and Harley Riders would never do that.) When I was younger, I used to do that (R90 - R100RT - GL1100I - GL1200A - GL1500SE - GL1800) but at my age, I no longer have tolerance for cold or heat.

Hey.. easy there. I was out on my Goldwing at +8 F on New Year's Eve.

That is ballsy. With this warmup he’d be fine now, likely he made it down South by now anyway. One has to also be O.K. with all the salt spray one gets on their bike, rather annoying to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back