Head Gasket Oil, mystery. What to look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright. A question that has interested me. On some vehicles, a Head gasket MAY not be 100 there. Perhaps "Seeping," which is not quite leaking, but the effects and remedy are the same (the beginnings of something getting past, what happened, who knows, but there it is.) If i understand correctly, a Head Gasket mainly separates coolant from Oil (Which is why cars with blown Head Gaskets leak "White smoke" out at ALL TIMES, cold, hot, running for 15 minutes, all the time, etc.) The gray area is when you dont SEE the smoke, but you have certain indications.

When the "Exhaust sniff test" is inconclusive, with a slight slight smell of sweet at start-up that seems to go away..

.. or the coolant disappears, and you are not sure if its a leaky hose or something much worse...

.. What will the Oil, in an application where coolant IS going into the oil, appear like? I have been dealing with a car that is used as a Daily Driver. There is NO Mustard on the coolant cap. NOR is there any "Mayo" on the Oil Fill Cap (I have seen cars where where was on Coolant and/or Oil cap, nice and gloppy Mayo-looking stuff. This one has NEITHER,) and low coolant MAY be attributed to a drip.

I wish i had my camera. I have devised a test. What if i fill Oil int he car, cheap stuff, like SuperTech, and drain it in 500 miles. Nice highway tests, a week or so (This car has also never overheated, leaving me to wonder, and the cooling system maintains the gauge where it should be.) Its symptoms are Hesitation on cold, it takes a while to run smooth, and the dipstick smells like a gas pump, leading me to think of different Oils (no idea whats up with the gas smell. Clean the injectors?)

Back to the question. What should i look for in the Oil? Maybe my head Gasket is Fine, its simply making me wonder, that few second "Sweet" smell if i get back there and sniff it, with no smoke to speak of? I think the Oil will help me solve this mystery. Is my 500 Mile of cheap Conventional a good idea, and if it looks good, check other things that could make it do that?

And yes, I may be buying a car that does these things. Special situation. I want to test it, i can fix what needs fixed, however i do not know what needs fixed, though the Gas smell alarms me slightly more than the "disappearing smell on start up that goes away."

Hum... so... i'm sure there is a question in there somewhere, but I must have missed it.

Are you losing coolant? If so, a coolant pressure test is probably your best bet. A head gasket actually separates 3 things: combustion chamber, oil and coolant. It can cause issues in any 2 or 3 of them, in any combination (although some are more likely than others)

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Are you losing coolant? If so, a coolant pressure test is probably your best bet. A head gasket actually separates 3 things: combustion chamber, oil and coolant. It can cause issues in any 2 or 3 of them, in any combination (although some are more likely than others)

OK. A Pressure test is the first thing.. Got it. If it "Passes" then the next suspect is the components of the cooling system?

(I was asking how the Oil would look, after run for, oh, say 200-500 miles, if there was coolant getting in the Oil. As an additional indicator of what may or may not be happening. Black? Weird? Tell by how it looks on drain, any abnormal qualities of how the drained oil would look? Extra black? Some other color?) Thanks

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley
Originally Posted By: tinmanSC

OK. A Pressure test is the first thing.. Got it. If it "Passes" then the next suspect is the components of the cooling system?

(I was asking how the Oil would look, after run for, oh, say 200-500 miles, if there was coolant getting in the Oil. As an additional indicator of what may or may not be happening. Black? Weird? Tell by how it looks on drain, any abnormal qualities of how the drained oil would look? Extra black? Some other color?) Thanks

The color of coolant contaminated oil is normally light brown. A much lighter brown than when it went in. If you have lots of coolant, it will make the oil look like a chocolate milkshake, sometimes mustard. If the coolant contamination gets that severe, it's something that won't go unnoticed. If your spark plugs are easy to get at, consider pulling them and checking them. With coolant, and a sweet smell from the exhaust, the spark plugs can look like they have a white-ish coat on them.

A car that hesitates cold is probably not a head gasket. Oil smelling like gas is probably that, maybe a poor injector, to many short trips, poor pcv system, any number of things.
You can use coolant and it will never be seen in the oil without a UOA, seen it so many times, also depends where the leak is. Had a volvo that was leaking coolant external of the combustion chamber through a crack in the exhaust area of the head. No leaks, no smoke, no coolant in oil. Just a coolant consumption complaint. One way to verify head gasket integrity is pressurize the cylinders with air and look for bubbles in radiator.

HH -
Head gaskets are primarily to seal the combustion process -both burning/explosion and intake vacuum.
They also seal oil, coolant, and some engine vacuum from the PCV system.
Leaks can go in or out, or sideways! Coolant, oil, air, or combustion.

Anyway, your mystically worded post does not get to the point.
#1 symptom of a slow leak is a loss of coolant [some loss over many months is normal in the puke tank].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back