He said he ran a gallon of Biodiesel in a gas engi

Status
Not open for further replies.
6:49 he says used the wrong fuel.

I've put 1L of homemade biodiesel in both the fuel and the oil before with no issues...the esters are pretty good cleaners.

That's what I thought, people use bio in the diesel fuel for ages with no problem of gum ... Maybe a richer mix required in gas engines would do that. I think that varnish could be related to wrong engine oil also. But biodiesel would do all of that? Apparently, no. Now used vegetable oil is another story, with sodium clorets, garlic and so ...

Last edited:
Improperly manufactured biodiesel will have a lot of glycerine in it which will be nasty...not sure that a gallon would do it.

It's not the air fuel ration that's wrong, it's the Octane, of lack of it.

just looks like the oil didn't hold up for whatever reason.

it says he had a broken ring?

No, just stuck retracted rings by carbon and coke. But that blowby ruins the oil the same. Right on! Rand
Shannow, so the used cooking oil becomes glicerin contaminated, by decomposition of the organic leftovers?

It could be Lanolin, wouldn't be better? rsrsrsrs

Last edited:
Pontual,
a vegetable oil has a structure like
363v01n02-90195273fig1.jpg

The vertical bar of 3 carbon atoms is nearly a glycerine molecule, and it has three branches...triglyceride

To make biodiesel, you react it (the oil) with an alcohol, and a catalyst (lye)...it breaks off the glycerine, and "esterifies" the three released branches.

You need to wash the lye and glycerine out of the esters, or they can and will cause gums...I doubt in a gallon over a tank.

Great Shannow, thanks or the info! Could water be the catalist, also, like using hydrated ethanol (95GL) with vegetable oil and warming it up to esterify?

Pontual, I've never heard of water catalysing the stuff.

Any time I've had wet ethanol, I've made soap, and had to throw the lot out.

My brother once filled up a gasoline rototiller with diesel (he actually didn't know how to tell the difference, Lord save me). It ran until, of course, it smoked like mad and then stopped, at which point he brought it to me and I had to drain the tank and put gasoline in there and get it going again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back