HDEOs not suitable for high RPM?

FCD

Despite the fact that hundreds if ot thousands of people on this forum have used HDEOs in their gas engines, one recurring argument i see on many threads is that apparently HDEOs, even if they are dual rated, don't like high RPMs and can foam at high RPMs... is there any truth to that?

On motorcycles, many have sight glasses. I've never seen significant foaming on any of my oil choices, in any of my bikes. I've used HDEO on and off for 40 years. The worst thing I've experienced using high viscosity HDEO in motorcycles is a little bit of cold-engine clutch drag.

Looking in the sight hole, I've seen a lot of foam with Rotella that was not seen with Mobil 1 4T. I've also seen the same in a dry sump engine on a dyno with a clear sump and filter housing. The observation was done on a dyno at 8000-8500 rpm sustained to replicate the rpm seen on the dirt track, diagnosing an issue with pressure dropping. With Rotella T4 15W-40, after some time at sustained 8000+ rpm, the oil would turn light brown like a whipped latte with a ton of foam in the sump and under the clear valve covers. This correlated with a sudden spike in oil temperature and drop in oil pressure.

I wouldn't expect to see it in a common commuter or fun car with temporary runs to 7000+ rpm.

Note that JASO MA2 allows up to 50 ml of foam in Sequence II with up to 10 minute settle time. That is a really pathetic standard. 50 ml is a ton of foam, >25% of the sample volume.

Last edited:
On a Kawasaki FR730/OPE I definitely see Foaming using delvac 1300 and that is only 3600RPM. Have notice the same on an outboard with Rotella 0-40W.

Is it harmful 🤷‍♂️

Despite the fact that hundreds if ot thousands of people on this forum have used HDEOs in their gas engines, one recurring argument i see on many threads is that apparently HDEOs, even if they are dual rated, don't like high RPMs and can foam at high RPMs... is there any truth to that?
No

The only time i saw foaming through sight hole on my bike is when i just poured in new oil and ran the bike for a minute or two to sirculate oil around. After i used the bike for a little while i see no foaming whatsoever. I also used HDEO on my last 4 cars, with no issues.

I recommended Rotella T4 to a friend - he said it worked fine in his bikes(Honda CBR600F3 and Ninja 650) and T6 has a cult following with Subaru WRX and Jeep owners.

Also, I ran Delo 400 in 2 Mercedes V8s with no issues. As a matter of fact, I felt they ran smoother on Delo vs. Castrol GTX 20W-50.

If foaming was an issue, Ford and Navistar, as well as CAT would issue an APB to avoid certain HDEOs for their HEUI applications. Foamed oil = bad.

Me and most of my drag race friends use 15w40 HDEO in high rpm (8000rpm) race engines (TX).

I wouldn't expect major issues in drag racing since the run time is so short. What engines are you referring to? I drag race a mild SBC and use a 0W-12.

On a Kawasaki FR730/OPE I definitely see Foaming using delvac 1300 and that is only 3600RPM. Have notice the same on an outboard with Rotella 0-40W.

Is it harmful 🤷‍♂️
Gail banks has videos on You tube about differential covers and oil foaming watch the, My tractor has a sight glass on the trans and any Trans fluid I have used, oem and Chevron, shell and Mobil all foam. It is impossible to not foam think of an egg beater running on high speed in a bowl of oil. The important thing is rapid collapsing of the foam.

Back