HDEO in 2001 Toyota Camry V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been browsing the site lately and noticed that alot of people have been running HDEO's in their cars.
I was wondering, would a HDEO be a good choice for my 1MZ-FE sludge monster?
It normally specs a 5W-30 and i have about 200K miles on this car.

edit: and what are the benefits of running a HDEO in a non HDEO engine?

Last edited:
10W-30 HDEO would be a GREAT choice for a 'sludgemonster' Camry!

There are a few UOA's of this being done, and results are good.

HDEO's are generally more stable and shear-resistant, and have more detergent/dispersant additves to control sludge (no, Castrol didn't think that up on their own!).

I probably wouldn't use a 15-40 in the winter in CT. In the summer, it's probably not a bad thing to try but I'd still only use a 5000 mile OCI on your particular engine even on HDEO.

If your engine is clean, there really is no benefit, but you're going to make winter cold starts a lot harder on your vehicle. A 10-30 would be a great summer choice, though.

Last edited:
At 200k the 15w40 might sneak by in summer if you can't find 10w30. Might clean stuff out and for cheaper than synthetic. I've run 15w40 in a saturn spec'd for 5w30 in the summer and it liked it.

Flow is also somewhat important for keeping stuff clean and cool, so the thinner 10w30 will excel there.

Why not try some of the new formula sludge fighting Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5w-30 which has recently came out? If you insist on going with a diesel oil in a gas engine I would suggest Rotella T Synthetic 5w-40.

For this app I would stick with ,PP,P/U or Valvoline syn if cleaning power is what your after,even Clean 5000 in 10w30 if you like a little thicker oil,your ring clearances can't be that shot unless you're seeing startup smoke or something.

I would check the PCV valve.....located in the rear valve cover.....toward the passenger side.
If it gets clogged.....then any oil will "gell" on you.

I just put Rotella T5 (10W-30) in my Tacoma and am very happy with it. I like the idea of an HDEO in my Tacoma as I have the smallest engine option in the double cab which is the heaviest Tacoma for the year, so the 3RZ gets a good workout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back