HDEO for engine cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been suggested many times to run HDEO in a sludged or heavily varnished engine to clean things out. Using an HDEO as a poor mans Auto-Rx. I'm just wondering if there is any proof that HDEO can clean out a passenger car engine.

Does anyone have before and after engine pictures of HDEO run(s)?

Well yea it's common knowledge HDEO's clean good with all there detergents and dispersant's addtives.

what you need to clean?

The common HDEOs now meet API CJ-4 which limits sulfated ash to the same 1.0% that most common API SM and SN oils have. Things have changed from back when HDEOs had about 50% more detergents than PCMOs. There are some PCMOs that are high in detergents. M1 0W-40 is one of them. Pennzoil Ultra has high TBN despite having 1.0% sulfated ash.

Originally Posted By: daman
Well yea it's common knowledge HDEO's clean good with all there detergents and dispersant's addtives.

what you need to clean?

I agree HDEOs have stronger detergent and dispersant additives compared to PCMOs. But even the with high levels of conventional additives, is it strong enough to remove heavy varnish? Or are non conventional oil additives like Auto-Rx the only means of removing varnish?

As always I am very skeptical of claims.

Originally Posted By: sunfire

what you need to clean?

I agree HDEOs have stronger detergent and dispersant additives compared to PCMOs. But even the with high levels of conventional additives, is it strong enough to remove heavy varnish? Or are non conventional oil additives like Auto-Rx the only means of removing varnish?

With out side to side testing who really knows..but i can tell ya we run HDEO's in our work P/U's so we don't have to stock muti oil's and they are always pretty clean inside.

I have used HDEOs several times with various cars/trucks, been happy every time. Chevron Delo worked extremely well in a nasty 302 Ford I bought in a winter beater a few years ago.
Couldnt believe how much gunk got cleaned out.

Originally Posted By: sunfire

what you need to clean?

ARx won't clean varnish, not sure an HDEO will either. A parts washer will or a hot tank though will.

I've been running Delo 15w-40 in my Legend for over +110k miles. It has done nothing to the varnish.

I'm half tempted to try Kreen.

I will say that the Delo cleaned the hydraulic tappets enough to where I only get tappet noise for a few seconds on cold start-ups now.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
I've been running Delo 15w-40 in my Legend for over +110k miles. It has done nothing to the varnish.

I'm half tempted to try Kreen.

I will say that the Delo cleaned the hydraulic tappets enough to where I only get tappet noise for a few seconds on cold start-ups now.

Thanks. I found a lot of answers I was looking for in the Oil Additive section, which I don't browse often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back