SUPERIOR, WI 54880
(715)395-0222
FAX (715)392-3097
Make: Oil Brand: AMSOIL
Model: Oil Type: SYN HP MTRCYCL
Equip. Make: HARLEY DAVIDSON Fluid Grade: 20W50 End User:
Unit ID: 2002-HD

Normal 18-JUL-07
25-JUL-07 49270 on engine. 6370 miles on oil.
Iron 6
Chrom 0
Lead 5
Copper 37
Tin 0
Alum 7
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Sili 11
Boron 37
Sod 0
Magn 153
Calc 3449
Barium 0
Phosp 1120
Zinc 1405
Moly 13
Tita 0
Van 0
Pota 0

Normal 12-MAY-07
17-MAY-07 42900 on engine. 1569 miles on oil.
Iron 5
Chrom 1
Lead 4
Copper 11
Tin 0
Alum 5
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Sili 12
Boron 233
Sodium 0
Magn 747
Calc 1302
Barum 0
Phos 887
Zinc 1164
Moly 1
Tita 0
Van 0
Pota 0

Lab Number 143216
Fuel Visc40 N/A
Visc100 16.69
Water 0
Solids N/A
Coolant NO
CHANGE NO
NITR 20.0
OXID 72.0
TBN 9.04

Lab Number 94465
Fuel Visc40 N/A
Visc100 15.95
Water 0
Solids N/A
Coolant NO
Change YES
Nitr N/A
Oxid N/A
TBN 7.75

Lab No Brand Grade Product Analysis Recommendations
143216 AMSOIL 20W50 SYN HP MTRCYCL NO CORRECTIVE ACTION REQUIRED, OIL IS SUITABLE FOR CONTINUED USE. RESAMPLE AT NEXT REGULAR INTERVAL
94465 HD 360 20W50 NO CORRECTIVE ACTION REQUIRED, OIL IS SUITABLE FOR CONTINUED USE. RESAMPLE AT NEXT

This is my 1st post. The May sample is HD 360 oil and the July is Amsoil MCV. So far very impressed with Amsoil. Called about the high copper number they said coming from oil cooler. New to synthetics and sampling. Any comments are appreciated.

Oil cooler? Harleys don't come with oil coolers. You may have one if you put it on yourself.

What company did the analysis?

Quote:

Oil cooler? Harleys don't come with oil coolers. You may have one if you put it on yourself.

Ummmm, my Harley came from the factory with one. It is right below the radiator. The Screamin Eagle air-heads also come with them.

Everything looks great but the Oxid number of 70? The Nit is below the normal....but that Oxid is very high. The oil just slipped into the 40 weight catagory.

I would move to 7K OCI's run the Eao/Eaa filters if applicable, and inquire about the Oxid number and thinning of the oil....See what Amsoil say's
dunno.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Ummmm, my Harley came from the factory with one. It is right below the radiator. The Screamin Eagle air-heads also come with them.

Yeah, I forgot about the V-Rod. That may have an oil cooler, I don't know.

Are you sure about the CVO bikes all having oil coolers? I just did a cursory look at the current CVO bikes on the HD website and I don't see an oil cooler on any of them.

Everything looks great but the Oxid number of 70? The Nit is below the normal....but that Oxid is very high. The oil just slipped into the 40 weight catagory.

What does this mean? I talk with a tech OAI he said nothing about this? I printed out copy of Viscosity chart from this sight will start doing some homework. I asked him about TBN number I asked about about sample and oil change at 10,000. He said I could sample but he would leave the oil? Is there a better sample company? Not real happy with there comment section. I have seen much better comments with Blackstone. Thinking about using Blackstone.

Quote:

What does this mean? I talk with a tech OAI he said nothing about this? I printed out copy of Viscosity chart from this sight will start doing some homework. I asked him about TBN number I asked about about sample and oil change at 10,000. He said I could sample but he would leave the oil? Is there a better sample company? Not real happy with there comment section. I have seen much better comments with Blackstone. Thinking about using Blackstone.

Use Terry Dyson. You'll get a much better interp of the data.

Use Terry Dyson. You'll get a much better interp of the data.

I will look into them also. Thanks GMan and Largecar for your responses.

Quote:

Huh? The way this is posted is confusing a bit. First of all the Amsoil did not slip into 40 weight. It's still in 50 territory.

http://www.infineum.com/information/api-viscosity-2004.html

Looks like the Amsoil did fine compared to the HD oil which didn't even do 1/4 the mileage. The oxidation number needs to be compared to virgin oil at the very least for reference. Wear is superb.

Believe me, Blackstone's corny comments aren't any better. And don't get me started on their viscosity and universal averages. Use Terry if you want the real scoop.

I would use Terry or OAI both are quality, Terry will work with you and is a great person. The first sample without the Oxid and Nit showed a 40w oil, the last was still in the 50wt range....either way the oil did a great job....no worries at all except the 72 number on the Oxid which is abnormal and could be a typo!

Pablo this is what I was referring too>

Lab Number 94465
Fuel Visc40 N/A
Visc100 15.95
Water 0
Solids N/A
Coolant NO
Change YES
Nitr N/A
Oxid N/A
TBN 7.75

Quote:

I would use Terry or OAI both are quality, Terry will work with you and is a great person. The first sample without the Oxid and Nit showed a 40w oil, the last was still in the 50wt range....either way the oil did a great job....no worries at all except the 72 number on the Oxid which is abnormal and could be a typo!

Pablo this is what I was referring too>

Lab Number 94465
Fuel Visc40 N/A
Visc100 15.95
Water 0
Solids N/A
Coolant NO
Change YES
Nitr N/A
Oxid N/A
TBN 7.75

As far as I can tell, that applies to the HD oil. But as I stated the format is confusing. I'm not sure what to say about the Ox. number, without seeing the virgin number.

Yes the 94465 sample is the HD oil. Sorry for the confusion. I will try to make the next one look better. Could the oxided number be high because of oil cooler? High copper = oxidation from oil cooler. Is that a correct statement? Or are those 2 different types of oxides?

Does a high oxide make the oil bad? I am debating on changing oil before a trip. I will have about 12,000 - 13,000 on oil if I wait till after trip. Even if I change at 10,000 before trip, still money ahead and less time with Amsoil.

As for copper - it can accelerate oxidation, and possibly cause oil thickening in some cases. I cannot say for sure in your case if the high Cu is related to the high Ox, however -especially since your TBN is so solid and if anything your oil thinned a tad. I would still go ahead and change the oil before your trip. One less thing to worry about!
grin.gif

I think I will go ahead and change oil at 10,000 and send a sample to Dyson.
Thanks for everyones input.

it does seem that synthetics do actually show higher wear number than dino.
I dont think there is anything wrong with HD 360.

Quote:

it does seem that synthetics do actually show higher wear number than dino.
I dont think there is anything wrong with HD 360.

Why would you say this? Amsoil went 4 times as long as the HD oil. The metals per mile are way lower in the Amsoil sample. I don't follow. Here is a clear case of synthetic oil showing lower wear than conventional oil.

I have to agree with Pablo without a doubt. The numbers are right there in black and white. I am very pleased with the performance of this oil. Oil sample was good, engine is quieter and cooler. Transmission shifts alot smoother. Clutch responds much smoother. Not long after I switched everything over to syn. I checked the clutch adjustment because it felt so much easier to pull in. Adjustment was OK. Still easy to pull in. Lab sample and all of the above are reason enough for me to continue using synthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back