Hazard warranty- speed rating

About two weeks ago I bought Perelli P zero a/s plus from Sam’s Club
I was trying to order the V rated tire online but when I got into the store the clerk said to get the W with the tread warranty.
I got a nail in the tire that they said is not fixable. They tried to order the W and it says they’re out of stock. They also said there’s no system to call anyone to find out when it would be back.

Any thoughts?
Like: Should I take a v rated tire and have 1 oddball?
Will I notice?
Should they add treadwear?
Do they even owe me matching tires? One guy there suggested a whole different tire but the girl said it’s a different tread.

Thanks

With roadhazard at discount, they give you one tire.

They are usually out of what you used to have, and you end up getting something else.

This is why my car has three different brand tires.

With supply issues I'd take it, and drive on.

With roadhazard at discount, they give you one tire.

They are usually out of what you used to have, and you end up getting something else.

This is why my car has three different brand tires.

With supply issues I'd take it, and drive on.
I should add that I am not a fast driver I’m a senior citizen

With the different speed rating, the tire sidewall stiffness will be different, which means the loaded tire diameter will be different. Will be like driving with two different diameter tires. That is never a good thing, for the diff, the stability control, for the ABS etc. Wait for the proper tire.

They did not take the nail out because they said they can’t put a plug in it.
They said that they can’t order it until the computer system shows it in stock and they have no idea when that will be.
I’m not sure what kind of juice I have…
Do they owe me 4 matching tires?
Could I insist that they take them all back and give me four matching V tires?

^ What EXACTLY does the warranty policy state?

mightymousetech isn't quite correct, there is no assurance different speed ratings would have different loaded diameter, that is entirely under control of the manufacturer and there could be more variance between different makes of tire or different brands of same spec'd size, and it will be a near immeasurable differences in traction control, and no difference in ABS except a stickier tire will lockup easier, but the same could be said about any ABS event where the pavement isn't perfect then one wheel inevitably locks up first, almost never will all 4 wheels, even if identical, lockup at exactly the same time.

If you have a scan tool capable of showing live ABS speed sensor data you can see if the speeds match, pretty easy to vary speed and see if all 4 wheels have near simultaneous change in RPM #. As for the differences in handling and traction, I'd think it not much from same series of tire with just the speed rating difference.

You could insist on 4 new tires but I doubt it will happen. If they won't budget I'd just take what they offered OR see if Perelli can find another dealer with same tire in stock... or is the road hazard only applicable to that one tire shop chain? If so then call other stores in that chain, maybe their system doesn't track tires already stocked and only those at the warehouse.

I'd let them know I had concern about the difference in the speed rating between the two tires and ask if they'd exchange them all. If the employee in that department won't do anything that's satisfactory get the store manager involved. Maybe even tell the manager you bought the W rated tire on employee recommendations and that you initially were going to get V rated tires. I'm no tire expert, but a difference in speed rating probably also means a different rubber compound and might also have negative effects on handling. At the very least I'd try to get them to replace the two tires on that axle. I often drive with a mismatched set of tires but always try to have matching tires on front and matching on rear. 2 of my cars currently have a mismatched set, but the fronts are the same and the rears are the same. I'm soon going to need 2 tires for my Versa at that time I'm going put 2 on that match the last 2 I purchased. If they last as long as the treadwear rating is for them I'll still have about 50K miles to run a matching set before having to buy 2 more.

Last edited:
To me it seems ironic that they follow the safety rules (litigation based?) about repairable tire punctures but turn around and suggest you put one different tire on your car. To be honest, I don't actually know what the safety implications are with one different tire. Maybe PM member Capri Racer and ask him what the industry standard is.

If they cannot live up to the road hazard warranty document, it seems that they should remove all of your tires and offer to apply your purchase price to another set. IF the safety argument is real, I do not see how they can deny making it right.

About two weeks ago I bought Perelli P zero a/s plus from Sam’s Club
I was trying to order the V rated tire online but when I got into the store the clerk said to get the W with the tread warranty.
I got a nail in the tire that they said is not fixable. They tried to order the W and it says they’re out of stock. They also said there’s no system to call anyone to find out when it would be back.

Any thoughts?
Like: Should I take a v rated tire and have 1 oddball?
Will I notice?
Should they add treadwear?
Do they even owe me matching tires? One guy there suggested a whole different tire but the girl said it’s a different tread.

Thanks
First, I checked Tire Rack and ALL of the Pirelli P Zero A/S+'s are W and Y speed rated. Are you sure there was a V rated tire?

The reason I did that is to see if there was a difference in the UTQG treadwear rating. If so, then I'd recommend against having an odd tire. That difference likely means a different tread compound and vehicles tend to pivot around odd tires in emergency maneuvers - could be dangerous.

However, if the UTQG treadwear ratings are the same, then it is likely that the tires are identical except for the stuff that gives it the speed rating - cap plies - and those hardly affect the handling characteristics, so that would be OK

But you mentioned adding a treadwear warranty - and not only is that not the way this works, the P Zero A/S+ comes with a 50K treadwear warranty, BUT the P Zero A/S (no +) doesn't - and those do have V speed rated tires, so I think that is what is going on.

But the UTQG treadwear ratings are the same, so this boils down to how much risk you are willing to accept. It is likely that this will be fine, but there is a small chance that the tires are different enough to matter in an emergency maneuver.

First, I checked Tire Rack and ALL of the Pirelli P Zero A/S+'s are W and Y speed rated. Are you sure there was a V rated tire?

The reason I did that is to see if there was a difference in the UTQG treadwear rating. If so, then I'd recommend against having an odd tire. That difference likely means a different tread compound and vehicles tend to pivot around odd tires in emergency maneuvers - could be dangerous.

However, if the UTQG treadwear ratings are the same, then it is likely that the tires are identical except for the stuff that gives it the speed rating - cap plies - and those hardly affect the handling characteristics, so that would be OK

But you mentioned adding a treadwear warranty - and not only is that not the way this works, the P Zero A/S+ comes with a 50K treadwear warranty, BUT the P Zero A/S (no +) doesn't - and those do have V speed rated tires, so I think that is what is going on.

But the UTQG treadwear ratings are the same, so this boils down to how much risk you are willing to accept. It is likely that this will be fine, but there is a small chance that the tires are different enough to matter in an emergency maneuver.
They could be trying to give me the tire you mention without the plus

I’ve looked for terms of the road hazard but can’t seem to find anything at all.

Frustrating system (that they tell me they have no way to call…let’s call at the main office to find out when they are coming back (if they are at all)

To me it seems ironic that they follow the safety rules (litigation based?) about repairable tire punctures but turn around and suggest you put one different tire on your car. To be honest, I don't actually know what the safety implications are with one different tire. Maybe PM member Capri Racer and ask him what the industry standard is.

If they cannot live up to the road hazard warranty document, it seems that they should remove all of your tires and offer to apply your purchase price to another set. IF the safety argument is real, I do not see how they can deny making it right.
Im going back today and see what I can do
If I wait for the correct tire I still have an issue as they won’t fix the leaking tire.

You were right
The girl wasn’t there and the guy that was said I don’t want to put that on your car to throw everything off it’s a whole different tire
He said come back Monday or Tuesday and will see if it’s back in stock
He also said don’t put your own plug in it because they might not honor the warranty after that

Just got this

Attachments

• 879B23E8-F8BB-457E-BCDF-8439AC4E180F.jpeg
    879B23E8-F8BB-457E-BCDF-8439AC4E180F.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 14
Back