Havoline Synthetic Flash Points ! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Havoline PDS

Havoline Synthetic 5w-30 Flash point is 471F and the 10w-30 is 496F. Noak is 5% for the 10w-30. I think if you live in the East coast and don't have access to Chevron Supreme synthetic, these are the way to go. Must be a good deal of Ester mixed in with the Group III.

Sorry I should have done a search on this.
pat.gif

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006262#000000

The Havoline line is clearly one of the best oils for the money.

I have 26 quarts of Havoline Synthetic. Paid $2 a quart for 10 of them and $1 a quart for the rest in the recent Auto Zone clearance. However, about 4 quarts are Equilon; the rest are Chevron Texaco.

I'm amazed at the specs of these oils. Chevron claims the Havoline line is a bit more robust then the Supreme Synthetics. I think we only have one UOA with the Havoline Synthetic.

Havoline dino is everywhere in Southeast Michigan.... Havoline Synthetic or Havoline High Mileage is nowhere to be found by me. That's a shame.... but lo & behold I'm going on an eastern seaboard two week vacation in two weeks & I'm coming home with a few cases.

I'm passing thru Jersey ... starting with Washington D.C... then Atlantic City & heading to New York & Boston. I'll find some!

[ April 30, 2005, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Triple_Se7en ]

I am using some mixed with Delo 15w-40. It seems to be working fine, consumption is ok and it got dark really quickly in a realtively clean engine. Still have a case of 5w-30 for winter.

Those flash points are almost unbelievable to me. It brings up two questions in my mind:

1) With a flash point higher than Red Line 10W 30 and Mobil 1 10W 30, does this mean that Havoline Synthetic should make a BETTER race oil?
2) Also, should it a better heat tolerant oil? For example if you were to loose a water pump or coolant during the summer, would you be better off running this one?

No, but they are probably using a good amount of Esters mixed in with the Group III basestock.

The only question that I have about the Havoline synthetic is whether is can be used for long drain intervals. Indeed, it does look good.

quote:

The only question that I have about the Havoline synthetic is whether is can be used for long drain intervals. Indeed, it does look good.

I have the same question. TBN is 8.6. For many of us who don't go above 10,000 miles, many of these Group III's with strong additive packages are the way to go IMO. The performance is so close to that of a PAO. However, once XOM starts making those Group IV + PAO's the gap will grow again.

My money would be bet on the Havoline synthetic as an all Grp III formulation. This is probably a Grp III base oil in the 6-8cSt range, with pour point depressants, to meet the 10W rating.

The Chevron 7R(7 cSt) Grp III base oil, alone, has a flash of 250C/482F. Additives & carrier oils can boost the flash point up to the 258C/496F range.

Comparable Grp III synthetics are Valvoline Synpower 10W-30 with a flash of 250C/482F and Citgo 10W-30 @ 252C/485F

But, the Havoline synthetic Noack number of 5 is really outstanding, as these comparable Grp III's are in the 8+ range!

quote:

But, the Havoline synthetic Noack number of 5 is really outstanding,

I agree. I think for moderate drain intervals, Chevron/Havoline are the way to go. Havoline does seem to be the stronger of the two.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Sleeper of the month....just picked up 6 quarts of Havoline 10w-30 Synthetic for $4.18qt.

TBN - 8.6
Flash Point - 496F

Not too shabby....
wink.gif

Buster,

Where'd you find the Havoline synthetic? I've yet to see it in any of my usual haunts (Pep Boys, AutoZone & Wal-Mart).

AndyH,

The Advance Auto Parts stores around here are always well stocked with Havoline synthetic. If you have an AAP nearby, check 'em out.

Yeah what wavinwayne said. Check Advanced AutoParts. Not sure if AutoZone carries it.
cheers.gif

Are we sure that the Havoline Synthetic is a Group III? Isn't Chevron/Texaco one of the manufacturers of PAOs as well as Group III?

The performance numbers of Havoline Synthetic do look good don't they? Advance is the only place that I have ever seen Havoline synthetic.

Sleeper of the month....just picked up 6 quarts of Havoline 10w-30 Synthetic for $4.18qt.

TBN - 8.6
Flash Point - 496F

Not too shabby....
wink.gif

Are we sure that the Havoline Synthetic is a Group III ?

I emailed Chevron's LubeTek asking what group # was Havoline 'Synthetic' oil, they emailed me back the next day......."Havoline & Chevron synthetic oils are Group III." I picked up 45 quarts at the AutoZone clearance sale for $1.00 each. I have his oil in my wife's Honda, I will do a UOA in about 6000 miles.
cool.gif

I had the same response. It is a Grp III, but what else is in it?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back