havoline synthetic 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using this stuff for a while in my f150 and have had no problems, but I was just wondering if anyone else has been using it and the longest anyone has gone without changing it out...seems to take 6k changes pretty good but haven't pushed it.....

quote:

Originally posted by userfriendly:
Sorry, but group III success stories are not allowed on this board.

Come on, be a little more userfriendly will ya?
grin.gif

tongue.gif

you know, seems to be a bit of doubt on weather its still group 3.....kind of difficult to figure out which msds is the current one...and some of them do have the word ester in it...so its a definite hmmmm....know something I dont?

Patman;
A person quite high up at tha Calgary Herald newspaper, said that I had a "sardonic" sense of humor.
For some odd reason people keep labeling me with adjectives I have to look up in the dictonary.
dunno.gif

a sardonic cynicist...who has the ability to side step bovine stuff in a single bound....just peachy, but assuming that havoline does exist and is not a part of the sweet potato theory of existance and has actually been lubricating my engine for the last 5500 miles then perhaps you could see clear to offer a suggestion other than the obvious one a sardonic cynicyst would be expected to suggest...like answering my original question.
smile.gif

Dusty, I hope it's good I 've got 60 qts in my garage ( the 1.99 Equilon at Big lots) So I'm stuck using it for 1 1/2 years. I've got 4 vehicles I will be using it in. I'm using Mobil 1 now. With the 5k drains I should be fine.

sHerm, I'm jeolous and might take a ride to fla. just to shop at big lots...they just bumped the price at auto zone from 3.29 to 3.99 here for the stuff. I've run it to 6k with no problem, used motorcraft, wix and mobil1 oil filters with equally good results. The specs on it are pretty awesome...with a flash of over 490 on the 10w30. For the price I haven't found anything yet to beat it. Although I am curious on just how long I can safely keep it in the engine, since no one seems to have a valid anwer guess I'll just have to break down and do a uoa. Mikep I am not that versed in proper interpretation of msds but I'll give it a peek first chance I get thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by dustyjoe1:
sHerm, I'm jeolous and might take a ride to fla. just to shop at big lots...they just bumped the price at auto zone from 3.29 to 3.99 here for the stuff. I've run it to 6k with no problem, used motorcraft, wix and mobil1 oil filters with equally good results. The specs on it are pretty awesome...with a flash of over 490 on the 10w30. For the price I haven't found anything yet to beat it. Although I am curious on just how long I can safely keep it in the engine, since no one seems to have a valid anwer guess I'll just have to break down and do a uoa. Mikep I am not that versed in proper interpretation of msds but I'll give it a peek first chance I get thanks.

Hey dusty,

I have a 2000 Ranger XLT 3.0L with 60K miles on it. On my previous oil change, I ran Havoline Synthetic 10W-30 for 11K miles (long story)
grin.gif
. After 11K miles, the oil looked and smelled normal, with only some carbon contamination. Didn't use a drop of oil that entire time either. This was before I found BITOG and learned about UOA's. I really would have liked to have a sample after that run
twak.gif

I'm currently running SuperTech Synthetic 10W-30 with the Motorcraft filter. Almost ready to change this stuff now that winter is almost here. Regular dino Havoline 10W30 will be going back in this time, which is what has been used in this truck most all of it's life.

do you speak of the super tech of wal-mart Fame? Never tried it....who makes it? As far as the havoline dino....I used to use the 20w50 in my old 87 toyota before i sold it at 200k miles (still ran fine)...it worked well also....stayed with the standard 3-4 k oil changes though. 11k miles eh? Not bad for less than 4 bucks. I figured it would go pretty long...just didn't want to try it. Thanks for the info.

they don't tell you a whole lot about technical specs on their oil do they? Anyone know the basics on this oil? group 1,2? vi, flash, pour? Just curious.

quote:

Originally posted by dustyjoe1:
they don't tell you a whole lot about technical specs on their oil do they? Anyone know the basics on this oil? group 1,2? vi, flash, pour? Just curious.

I originally wanted to see if the cheaper oils would perform as well as the more expensive stuff. But I decided to not use the SuperTech any more because as best as I can tell, price is the only selector for that oil. And you can't get any info out of Walmart about who makes the oil exactly. You could end up with a different manufacturer in that bottle every oil change and not know it
mad.gif
Their official answer might as well be "The one with the least cost that meets basic specs"
shocked.gif

I just got 7 quarts of Havoline Synthetic at Big Lots. They had 9 Quarts but I didn't have enough cash. I hope it will be good.

I guess Big lots is finally out here in Tampa. They are not restocking it eighther. It was good while it lasted. I guess we'll start seeing the new Havoline syn soon. The auto zone and discount auto he in Tampa still sell the Equilon like Big Lots it only costs twice as much.

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:
Can anyone make sense of this MSDS?

http://library.cbest.chevron.com/lu...383216dc66985aa588256b51000818bd?OpenDocument

Am I correct in assuming that the first component listed under section 2 tells us that it is indeed a G III, hydroisomerized oil?

I don't pretend to understand the techno-babble from that MSDS, but complicating the picture is some further information under:

"11. TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION

[blah-blah-blah for listed "effects"]

ADDITIONAL TOXICOLOGY INFORMATION

This product contains synthetic base oils not refined from petroleum base stocks. ..."

The bold emphasis was mine, but, it's a direct quote. Doesn't really sound like a Group III, does it? Of course this is the ChevronTexaco product, not the former Equilon soup that's been on closeout at Pig Lots.

[ November 08, 2003, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
I don't pretend to understand the techno-babble from that MSDS, but complicating the picture is some further information under:

"11. TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION

[blah-blah-blah for listed "effects"]

ADDITIONAL TOXICOLOGY INFORMATION

This product contains synthetic base oils not refined from petroleum base stocks. ..."

The bold emphasis was mine, but, it's a direct quote. Doesn't really sound like a Group III, does it? Of course this is the ChevronTexaco product, not the former Equilon soup that's been on closeout at Pig Lots.

The plot thickens
pat.gif

Mikep

Finally had a chance to stop by the local Big Lots and they had 5w40 & 10w30 full synthetic at $1.99. Got me a handful of the 5w40 to add to my stash of M1 & Napa synthetic I have at home. Can't seem to pass up bargains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back