Havoline Synthetic; $1.99 at Big Lots

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by bdleonard:
According to this page from the API (found in Google's cache, the API has removed havoline from the current equilon page) The equilon made Havoline Synthetic is SJ/CF rated for all three grades. Seems like a decent oil for $1.99/qt

API Page in Google Cache

You cannot just search for this via the WWW and know what you found is applicable to the equilon Havoline Synthetic that is now being sold at retail. The Havoline I saw (both 5w-40 and 5w-30) was not API rated of CF. No mention of any diesel rating on the bottle. I specifically asked the Tech representative if it was CF rated and I was told it was NOT and that it was not for use in diesel engines.

This oil appears to be a Group III with unknown specifications as for as HTHS, VI, flash point, etc.

Perhaps if others will call and ask they may get further information, but if you get the same person I talked to you will get next to nothing.

quote:

Originally posted by sHERM:
I just went to Big Lots and stocked up on the Havoline Syn. They had 5w-30 and 5w-40. The 5w-30 has the API starburst on the front and the 5w-40 does not.

The 5W-30 says API service SL,SJ,SH ILSAC GF-3
The 5W-40 says API service SJ,SH,CF

Based on what you have found it appears that there are different formulations of the 5w-40 that are being moved. You seem to have found a different spec than the API SL that I've seen(with no CF rating or any other type of rating). Is there any reference to any European ratings (A5, A3, etc) on the bottle?

quote:

Well, I fell to temptation & bought 5 qts of the Havoline Syn(Equilon) 5w40. On my bottles, it mentions nothing about the ACEA A3/B3 specs, says only that it meets & exceeds the API SL specs.

Sorry my mistake. I guess it is only the current Chevron/Havoline 5W-40 synthetic oil that is ACEA A3/B3 rated and not the old Equilon product. At one time I had a tech data sheet for this oil. If can find it I will post the specs.

[ October 13, 2003, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cressida:

quote:

Originally posted by bdleonard:
According to this page from the API (found in Google's cache, the API has removed havoline from the current equilon page) The equilon made Havoline Synthetic is SJ/CF rated for all three grades. Seems like a decent oil for $1.99/qt

API Page in Google Cache

You cannot just search for this via the WWW and know what you found is applicable to the equilon Havoline Synthetic that is now being sold at retail. The Havoline I saw (both 5w-40 and 5w-30) was not API rated of CF. No mention of any diesel rating on the bottle. I specifically asked the Tech representative if it was CF rated and I was told it was NOT and that it was not for use in diesel engines.

This oil appears to be a Group III with unknown specifications as for as HTHS, VI, flash point, etc.

Perhaps if others will call and ask they may get further information, but if you get the same person I talked to you will get next to nothing.

I didn't just "search for this via the WWW" if you want further evidence you can use the Internet Wayback Machine as I did to view old versions of the API web page. (serch the wayback for http://www.api.org/cgi-bin/eolcs.cgi ) The 5w-30 and 5w-40 Havoline "synthetic" has been SJ/CF rated since at least December of 2000 (as far back at I can reliably get) and the 10w-30 has been SJ/CF since at least June 2001 (it was only SJ in the Dec. 2000 listing)

Note: I'm refering to the Equilon Havoline, which as far as I can tell was never sold in an SL rated version.

[ October 13, 2003, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: bdleonard ]

Stuart we are both right, I went to another Big Lots today. They had the 5w-40 that was SL rated. It came in a different bottle design. Do you think this was the same oil just sent in for SL testing or is it a different oil ?

By the way Big Lots had 50-60 bottles for $1.99
Discount Auto which is right across the parking lot was selling the same Equilon made oil for $3.78

Here are the specs for the API SJ/CF Havoline 5W-40 synthetic oil that were posted on the 5/2000 revision.
code:

Havoline 5W-40

API SJ/CF

Code No. 2100

Appearance Light Amber

Gravity, API 33.2

Flash, COC F (C) 453 (234)

Pour Point, F -50

Vis. @ 40 C 92.9

Vis. @ 100 C 14.4

Viscosity Index 161

Cold Cranking Vis. 3,260 -25 C

Sulfated Ash, wt% 1.10

HTHS Vis. @ 150 C 4.00

Sim. Distillation

off @371 C 4.1 (test method D 2887E)

code:

New Havoline 5W-40 (made by Chevron)from 7/25/2002

API SL/CF

ACEA A3/B3/B4

OEM Approval BMW LL-98, M/B 229.1, Porsche,

Volkswagen 502.00, 505.00, and Volvo 22-3

CPS No. 222100

MSDS No. 8602

API Gravity 32.8

Viscosity @ 40 C 87.7

Viscosity @ 100 C 13.7

Cold Crank Vis. 5,000 (-30 C)

Viscosity Index 158

Flash Point C (F) 222 (432)

Pour Point C (F) -51 (-60)

NOACK Evap. % 8

Sulfated Ash, % 1.2

Base Number (TBN) 8.8

Phosphorus wt. % 0.098

Zinc, wt % 0.103

[ October 14, 2003, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Thanks for posting this comparison Sin City.

Looks like they reduced the viscosity of the newer formulation slightly. About the only difference from looking at those specs.

I think I'm going back to get some of the SJ/CF version as what I got now is just SL. Plus I need an oil fix as it has been a few weeks since I got some.
tongue.gif

Guy's this was my very first post on BITOG in 2003, and believe it or not I still have 5 Qts. of this oil left. My question is would you use it ? I bought it in 10/2003 from Big lots and who knows how old it was when it was sent to them to sell.

Last edited:
I try to use all my oils by the date code. I used my older Havoline synth and am now using the Semi-Synth from 03 in the CRV. My car is now getting Mobil 1 from 03, so yes...you can use it. 5 years is ok, but definately time to use it up. I change both cars 4x a year, so I go through oil fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back