Havoline Synth... sleeper? Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed out my fiancee's oil last night in her Regal (3800 V6). Previously I was running Mobil1 10w30. It's been extremely cold here for the past 3 days (0deg F). With the Mobil1 (which only had 2000mi on it - I change her car on a 3 month basis because of the amount of short trips she takes) the car turned over pretty rough, and sounded horrible for the first 30 seconds after startup.

The Havoline syn 10w30 on the other hand cranked over much more easily (even though it was colder outside) and the starup noise stopped after about 5 seconds.

I plan on sending off a UOA at the next change.

I really think this is an excellent oil that has long been a sleeper here on the forums. I noticed similar results (reduction in engine noise both at starup and when at temp) in my 03 Century as well.

I've been wondering about that myself...Havoline dino seems to be a GREAT oil but nobody ever says anything about the synthetic. It's cheap too...

I recently put Havoline Synthetic 5w-30 in my F150. I'll also send it in for UOA when drain time comes (at 5,000 mile interval).

Mikep

Is this equilon or chevrontexaco? I have some equilon leftover from big lots...

Ahhhhh yet another customer discovering the shortfalls of M-1. Two words...addative package.

Next time, use the 5-40 and change it out at 5 to 7.5k...don't waste money...and use the A3 version.

Mobil 1's additive package is probably better than Havoline synthetic from the Analysis we've seen. Moly, boron, and equal amounts of ZDDP, and way more calcium in the Mobil 1.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
Mobil 1's additive package is probably better than Havoline synthetic from the Analysis we've seen. Moly, boron, and equal amounts of ZDDP, and way more calcium in the Mobil 1.
dunno.gif

Well, maybe not. The one UOA I found had more ZDDP and magnesium, and equal calcium to Mobil 1. Maybe it is a decent oil. You can find it at Big Lots for CHEAP, even 5w-40 in some cases.

I have been using 2 qts of the Havoline Syn and 3 qts of Havoline dino in my cars and am very happy. For $11.40 I get a syn blend that I know is 40% group III and 60% group II. Not too shabby. One of these days I will do a UOA to see how this blend is holding up...

the reason why people don't talk about the havoline synth is because it's a group 3 syn. the naysayers want group 4 or 5 only. I got a question for you guys. what is big lots? I've never seen a store named that around here. I have seen the havoline synth (blue bottle) at autozone though..for about $3? how much did you pay for the bargain you got at big lots?

Once again....the "addative package" is NOT something you can find out on a UOA or a VOA. That's just some of the ingredients/items that are being screened for.

offtopic.gif

quote:

I just changed out my fiancee's oil last night

lol.gif
I hope you spun on a new filter. BWAHAHAHAHA! Sorry for being inane.

[ January 19, 2004, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

Big Lots liquidates merchandise that hasn't been sold from various other retailors/wholesalers. You can find stuff there CHEAP. Havoline synthetic 5w-40 I found was $1.99!

From what i have read Havoline dino is no better than Supertech dino oil. Heck try ST full syn if they make it and see what you think.

Havoline Synthetic 10W-30 has some very impressive specs. It almost looks like there are mistakes on the spec sheet. Check out that NOACK number! Look at that flash point!

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Ahhhhh yet another customer discovering the shortfalls of M-1. Two words...addative package.

You keep posting this nonsense. Please post some hard data that backs up your supposition that Mobil 1's additive package is defficient.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:

You keep posting this nonsense. Please post some hard data that backs up your supposition that Mobil 1's additive package is defficient.

Dito

I've put up several posts on havoline synthetic oil in the past. You can all look em up if you like. My experience with the oil has been excellent and I will keep running it for 6k oci.

regards

quote:

Originally posted by dustyjoe1:
I've put up several posts on havoline synthetic oil in the past. You can all look em up if you like. My experience with the oil has been excellent and I will keep running it for 6k oci.

regards

I used Havoline 10/30 for the 1st OC at 1K in my 6.0 HO SS Silverado. Would 6-7K beetween OCs be OK with a PF59, or should I at least change the filter at some point? Or would 5K be safer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back