Havoline Synth... sleeper? Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa...you guys are rude. Nobody's opinion on this board should EVER be considered "garbage" and an apology is in order. It's not even an opinion, but an observation by many others including myself.

As far as M-1's addative package being lacking...well, then I guess you need to re-read posts and threads previously discusses where even "experts" such as Molacule have mentioned that indeed M-1 could use a little bolstering with some LC and/or FP.

bobbyinfla: I've run it for 6k with a regular motorcraft or wix. all except last oci which I dropped out at 4.5k simply because I had just towed about 4k lbs of trailer for 1800 miles or so at highway speeds through the ozarks. Here is an interesting item for you guys. Chevron=Havoline synthetic is shown to have >55% of cas 68037014. I am pretty darn sure that is PAO folks. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The number is listed on chevron's site and just do a search for 68037014 then cross reference it to ingredients used in other products. IMO its a good oil.
grin.gif

Thank you.

However, to me it shows that that group III approaches, but still doesn't achieve the levels of PAO. If the group III oils were cheaper, that would be okay. But they're the same price. Why would I want to use them?

quote:

Originally posted by sHERM:
http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/BaseOils/

Mike, Go to this link look under (Products, then choose Group 3 performance)

It shows comparisons to group4's

Dr.T I do not think that anyone was being rude and no one called your opinion garbage. You just bad mouth Mobil 1 all the time! Mobil 1 is a top quality oil that is one of the best oils on the market. It is not the best for every car out there but for a lot it is! In both my GM V8's which are known to shead wear metels the wear is just about in single digits with less then 15,000 total miles and that is using M1, it does not get much better then that! Maybe you had a bad run with M1 but that does not mean it is a junk oil. We all know you don't like M1 so you can stop spreding it all over the forum and shoving it down peoples throats. Let folks try it and decide on their own if it is for them or not. Everyone's opinion's are valued, that is how we all learn, just keep it with in reason.
wink.gif

No one is badmouthing M-1. If you feel like you (and others) need to sleep with Mobil Corp. than feel free to do so and don't get bent out of shape about it.

Otherwise, we've established here that M-1 is a very good oil and the only OTC readily available PAO. Other than that it has some shortcomings as mentioned and there are many other oil brands to choose from which have proven to be as good as (heaven forbid better than) M-1.

All I was doing in my posts was attempting to explain Forkman's (and other's) observations regarding 2 different brands that I have experience with. Nobody was saying that M-1 is junk, but that it's addative package was lacking...and this is not "nonsense".

quote:

"experts" such as Molacule have mentioned that indeed M-1 could use a little bolstering with some LC and/or FP.

All oils need this, not just Mobil 1. I've seen no indication at all that RL, or Amsoil hold it's viscosity any better. I'm not in bed with Mobil corp either, but they make a great oil that anyone can buy on the shelf. No one is saying it's the best, but its up there.

As far as additive package goes: 220ppm Boron, 70ppm Moly, 3,000ppm of Calcium. Tell me of another oil in the $4qt price range or even higher, that has that?

In bed with Mobil? Well I guess I sleep with Kitchen Aid, Rubber made, Zip lock, Dockers, Leatherman, Chevy, Mac tools, Amana, Aiwa, Panasonic, Sony, Cannondale, Dell, Oral-B and several other quality brands.
grin.gif
I think folks called you on this because you are always bad mouthing M1, not just in this thread but in every other thread about M1. M1 is a top quality oil up there with Amsoil, Schaeffers ect reguardless of what you or we might think. No worries, we all have opinion and some are just more vocal then others but it get's old when you hear it over and over and over. Have a good night gentelmen!

Originally posted by Chris B.:
[QB] In bed with Mobil? Well I guess I sleep with Kitchen Aid, Rubber made, Zip lock, Dockers, Leatherman, Chevy, Mac tools, Amana, Aiwa, Panasonic, Sony, Cannondale, Dell, Oral-B and several other quality brands.

lol.gif

Dude, you ain't nothin' but a 'HO!!!!! ha ha ha

What can I say, I'm a "product magnet"! They can't keep their hands...er...I mean lids or screens or handles or zippers off of me! Don't tell my wife!
grin.gif

The point being that you guys have resorted to calling an observation confirmed by myself whether it was once or a thousand times as being "garbage" or b.s..

M-1 is a great oil. Sure. But, compared to others it 'tends to' produce more engine noise. Is this badmouthing? No. Maybe you like the noise. What's the reason for it? Who knows...if it's not the fact that it's a PAO and not the addative package...is it the bottle it's in?

The point being that you guys have resorted to calling an observation confirmed by myself whether it was once or a thousand times as being "garbage" or b.s..

M-1 is a great oil. Sure. But, compared to others it 'tends to' produce more engine noise. Is this badmouthing? No. Maybe you like the noise. What's the reason for it? Who knows...if it's not the fact that it's a PAO and not the addative package...is it the bottle it's in? You prove what is in M-1 (or lack thereof) that causes an increase in engine noise before name-calling.

All I did is confirm an observation that was originally brought up. And guess what? It will be brought up again in another post during another day or week. Because that's the nature of message boards. And the answer will probably be the same...but, it will be for the thousandth and one time. However, name calling and opinion-busting should stop. Use whatever 'brand' you like.

Intersting, I haven't noticed any additional noise with the 0w20 in my honda. Actually it idles quieter than the pennzoil. However, I do have a bit of vibration or "resonance" between 3500 and 5000 rpm. which is kind of concerning me....might switch back to pennzoil to see if its the oil or something else, my first guess would be something else, but all this m1 talk has me a little concerned.

Name calling? No one is name calling, we are not in grade school. Let's just see what happends with M1 and other oil and go from there.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:

M-1 is a great oil. Sure. But, compared to others it 'tends to' produce more engine noise. Is this badmouthing? No. Maybe you like the noise. What's the reason for it? Who knows...if it's not the fact that it's a PAO and not the addative package...is it the bottle it's in?

I have noticed engine noise to be a little more noticable with Mobil 1 on some engines, and engine noise to appear reduced with Mobil 1 in others. I tend to think engine design and overall mechanical condition to be the biggest factors.....Where is Webster when you need him?

[ January 27, 2004, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: HondaRD ]

If Mobil 1 was such a bad oil, why would GM use it as a factory fill oil for thousands of Corvette each year??? I have over 400,000 miles on Mobil 1 and for $3.99 a quart. It can't be beat. Ask the top ASE or NASCAR mechanics. "People who know use Mobil 1" LOL.
cool.gif

rolleyes.gif
Before you give up on Mobil 1 since your car is driven a lot of stop & go driving I would use a qt of Mobil syn. 15/50 with each oil change. I say that because my wife's car is treated the same way and thats what I intend to do the next change. She has 11000 miles now a perfect time to start with what I feel will be a good mix.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Boeing 757 Pilot:
If Mobil 1 was such a bad oil, why would GM use it as a factory fill oil for thousands of Corvette each year??? I have over 400,000 miles on Mobil 1 and for $3.99 a quart. It can't be beat. Ask the top ASE or NASCAR mechanics. "People who know use Mobil 1" LOL.
cool.gif

I would argue that GM doesn't have much of a choice.. I mean what other synthetic oil can they be guaranteed any Joe Blow can walk into a local big-box retailer and buy off the shelf?
Your point is well-taken though. If Mobil 1 was complete, engine-ruining badness in a bottle, GM wouldn't reccomend it for ANY GM product with remaining warranty.
The other nice part for GM about reccomending Mobil 1 is that Mobil 1 really is the cheapest "true synthetic" out there.

quote:

Originally posted by TomJones76:
I would argue that GM doesn't have much of a choice.. I mean what other synthetic oil can they be guaranteed any Joe Blow can walk into a local big-box retailer and buy off the shelf?

Castrol Syntec 5w30.

But I wouldn't put Syntec 5w30 into a Corvette either.

I'm not saying Mobil 1 5w30 or Syntec 5w30 are bad oils, just that they don't show the best engine wear numbers in the LS1 Corvette. You'll still get over 150,000 miles out of the engine no problem though. But honestly, do you think GM cares how long your engine is going to last? (as long as it lasts well beyond the warranty period) If one brand of oil is only going to give you 200,000 miles, while another is good for 300k, I'd want the one that goes 300k. But most people who own Corvettes don't make it anywhere near 200k, let alone 300k, these cars simply aren't used in that manner very often. 95% of Corvette owners don't use them as daily drivers. And even those who do, don't often rack up tons and tons of miles on them. This is what I'm finding out right now since I'm searching to buy a 97 or 98 Corvette. Most of the stuff I see both here in Ontario and online on the Trader site in the US, is not super high mileage.

So basically what I'm saying is that just because GM puts in Mobil 1 5w30 into the Vette at the factory, and their dealers all use Mobil 1 5w30 as the oil they service the cars with, doesn't mean it's the absolute best choice in oils for that engine. My research indicates that the LS1 does not show it's best wear numbers with a thin 30wt oil, but instead prefers a thick 30wt to middle 40wt. It likes an oil between 12 to 14cst if it's driven hard. If someone drives it gently though or does all highway driving, the 10cst oil will work out just fine and the engine will basically last forever. But someone like me is going to drive the snot out of the C5 when I get one!
grin.gif

Does anyone have any experience with Havoline Synth 5W-30 compared to M1 5W-30 - related to oil consumption? One of my cars does burn a little M1 5W-30 and I was considering trying Havoline 5W-30. I know the Noak volatility is 10 % for Havoline Synth 5W-30 vs. only 5 % for the Havoline Synth 10W-30, but 10W-30 anything is too stiff for Minnesota winters.
Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back