Havoline replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Havoline stays at premium prices, I will likely switch. I like Havoline, but not at premium prices.Is Motorcraft a good choice for only a few cents more per quart? My other choice would be to go cheaper. I am considering TropArctic but I haven't seen it available in 5W/20 anywhere. Any thoughts?

I would ask what vehicle and engine, how many miles, what type driving and what OCI are you planning on? I could buy Citgo for .99 after rebate and I'd use it in my car...but you'd have to decide for yourself. I'd like to try TA, but availability here is spotty.

GrtArtiste

Go cheap. Tropartic is a steal right now.

Am I correct in assuming you want to pick something for the long haul and stick with it, possibly with UOA trending?

TropArtic seems to be about the best deal these days. However even at the "new" prices, Havoline is still a very decent product at a reasonable price, considering the market right now.

Why switch??? If havoline still is top-notch chemistry, and performs excellently in your vehicle, isnt that 'value' that you can extract from the oil? Not saying that there is anything wrong with switching, but the increase in price may not necessarily just be a price 'gouge' in and of itself.

If youve been using it, Id look for it on rebate/sale and keep buying.

JMH

I suppose this is in your Grand Caravan. How far into the run on Havoline are ya, and how far are ya going to take it? Any problems with start up or after 2000 miles or so valve train noise at idle?
These were the common problems I had running dino's in my old van and the new one, and after a half dozen or so changes went to T/A and so far at 2500 miles sounds smooth as ever. I know you guys don't like the smoother, a lil better mpg and sound evaluations but that is my experiences with it. I ran Valvoline, Chevron, Mobil5000, and Havoline still have half a case left of it. All was bought at the West Coast prices of 49-79 cents.
I've been running MC 5w20 in my 99 F-150 for a year now and like it alot, which was part of the reason for trying T/A in the van. If I had to pay the same price for dino's as MC or T/A, I'm buyin MC or T/A
cool.gif

You might check the Conoco site and look for a distributor they may be able to get ya T/A 5w20.

Consider it this way...of all the dino's, if Havoline were the most expensive, would it still be considered the best dino based on it's add pack, group, and all that moly?????

My wife and I were in Wmart tonight, and I saw the space for Mobil's Clean 5000 empty again, while Havoline was empty for the first time. That is the main reason I switched to Havoline 5w30 since no one seemed to be able to even get Mobil.
gr_eek2.gif
Thanks for all the good things you have said about Havoline.
worshippy.gif
I definitely will stay with it.

Havoline is currently $1.58/qt at Advance. That's still a good deal and if I didn't have a year's worth of TropArtic and Motorcraft in the garage I might buy a case.

Why not go with Havoline's twin Chevron? They both have great UOAs, and are almost identical, plus Chevron is cheaper and goes on sale a lot at Checker.

quote:

Originally posted by otis24:
If Havoline stays at premium prices, I will likely switch. I like Havoline, but not at premium prices.Is Motorcraft a good choice for only a few cents more per quart? My other choice would be to go cheaper. I am considering TropArctic but I haven't seen it available in 5W/20 anywhere. Any thoughts?

I'm not sure Motorcraft syn-blend is better than Havoline dino. According to the Amsoil ball test, Trop Artic is a step-down from Motorcraft. Others like Citgo & Exxon Superflo are serviceable oils -- but not in Havoline's league.

Want to pay less? Then expect to see less overall quality/ingredients.

Consider it this way...of all the dino's, if Havoline were the most expensive, would it still be considered the best dino based on it's add pack, group, and all that moly?????

What I was considering was overall quality and price. I do know that Havoline is a good product. What I have garnered from other posts is that it seems destined to keep climbing in price. I guess my question is this: Is Havoline that much better than TropArctic to justify the price difference? If Havoline reaches "premium prices", is there a better/premium oil for the same price?
One of the great things about Havoline was that it was not only a good product, but it was a good bargain as well. Havoline seems to be closing the price gap with oils that have been traditionally higher priced. I'm not saying that Havoline isn't still a good value for the price.
If I'm going with a higher priced oil, at what point do I start expecting "premium protection"?

Stay with Havoline. Even for the extra $1 per OCI. Pennzoil is at $7.28/5qt jug now at WalMart now. That's the cheapest I've seen any major brand oil lately.

That Otis24 is why you buy on price and not on brand. Havoline was a small brand before Chevron bought it and started pushing for greater recognition(they did do alot to make it a better oil BTW). It took some time but they are positioning it as a premium priced oil and it is demanded enough to bring the prices they are asking. It is a premium conventional oil but so are all the others mentioned in this thread. In the life of your vehicle if you chose one and ran it or ran all of them at differnt times through the vehicles life it would make little or no difference.

If Tropartic gets popular its price will rise too and everyone will be looking for the next bargain (except those who take exception to it just like those who really like havoline or M1 or any brand may become enamored with the way that brand looks sitting in there stash and feel confident running the oil .

Well, to quote hominoid7 in another post:
"It is easy to buy an overpriced oil, but it is getting harder and harder to buy a "bad" oil these days".
In the grand scheme of things, it'll cost me about $2.50 per oil change if I stick with Havoline as opposed to TropArctic. Not a lot of money. If Havoline keeps pushing the price envelope, I will have to re-think my brand loyalty.
Having this forum makes it much easier to make an informed choice based on objective choices as opposed to subjective opinions.

I just picked up a case of Havoline 10w-30 for $12 at Advance Auto Parts. They had it on their clearence table as you walk in the door. They still have 8 more qts last I checked. I can also get Pennzoil 5w-30 for $1.30 a qt and not tax, that is the price for it at the Base gas station at Seymour Johnson AFB in NC. Since I just picked up a 94 Saturn SL1 the Havoline is what I'm going to run in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back