Havoline Pro DS Smart Box FS or Castrol FS Magnatec 5w30

I have always liked Magnatec. It's on sale at Walmart for $17.95 for 5 quarts while the Havoline is $17.97 for 6 quarts. Is the Havoline a slam dunk simply because of the extra quart?

Havoline Pro DS didn't work for me. I changed the oil at 3000 because of loss of fuel mileage and noise. I would run Magnetec out of those 2.

As soon as I go through my 90 quart stash of Havoline 5W30 conventional, I'll be switching over to Havoline PRO DS 5W30. I've had excellent results with Havoline since I started using it in the mid-1970s. Put over 250,000 miles on a 1973 Chevy Impala with the 400 cubic inch small block engine.

As soon as I go through my 90 quart stash of Havoline 5W30 conventional, I'll be switching over to Havoline PRO DS 5W30. I've had excellent results with Havoline since I started using it in the mid-1970s. Put over 250,000 miles on a 1973 Chevy Impala with the 400 cubic inch small block engine.

Did the engine die or did it rust to death on you?

Rust. Lasted until 1990! Great road car and was sad to sell it to a bone yard.

BTW, I go the car in 1977 and it already had 150,000 on it. My dad picked it up at an auction. Must have been a fleet car.

Rust. Lasted until 1990! Great road car and was sad to sell it to a bone yard.

BTW, I go the car in 1977 and it already had 150,000 on it. My dad picked it up at an auction. Must have been a fleet car.
Back in 86 I bought a 72 Biscayne just for the drivetrain. It had a SBC 400, Turbo 400 trans, and just an open 10 bolt rear end. I paid $200 for it.

A lot of great memories with that car. Learned a whole lot of how to fix it on that car! Really easy to work on too!

Back in 86 I bought a 72 Biscayne just for the drivetrain. It had a SBC 400, Turbo 400 trans, and just an open 10 bolt rear end. I paid $200 for it.

I bought a '72 Caprice with 70,000 mi with a bad trans and a hit rear door for $50 and swapped the 400 SBC into a '74 C10 to replace a knocking 350 2V. Ran 9.90 1/8 miles totally stock other than duals and sticky tires. Ran even better after I swapped to a '69 Quadrajet intake takeoff from somebodies project and a QJ from a 500 Cadillac.

I bought a '72 Caprice with 70,000 mi with a bad trans and a hit rear door for $50 and swapped the 400 SBC into a '74 C10 to replace a knocking 350 2V. Ran 9.90 1/8 miles totally stock other than duals and sticky tires. Ran even better after I swapped to a '69 Quadrajet intake takeoff from somebodies project and a QJ from a 500 Cadillac.
I believe the big Caddy Quadra-Junks flowed 800 CFM. I would love to get my hands on one...
I have 3 good Q-Jets now; the one on the Vette was rebuilt by Lars; he did a write up on it.

I switched back and forth between the ProDS and the Magnatec on a 3.5 ecoboost expedition and it seemed to like both. The ProDS is hard to find near me, only one wall mart carries it and it's not always in stock.

I picked up a new 2019 F150 with the 2.7eco and I've been running ProDS in that one since new. Bout to change the oil sometime this week and I'm gonna send a sample off to get tested. It'll prob look good considering I did the 5000 miles in a little over a month and a half.

I just picked up a box of it today when i was looking for some SuperTech. Had to bust out the calculator real quick to verify that it was indeed cheaper for the havoline...That and a fresh Fram Ultra filter ought to do my Ranger EcoBoost well

The only thing cheaper than Havoline is a store brand like Kirkland, SuperTech or maybe RGT if you can still find an AAP that has it. They are all D1G2 so I would just buy the one that's cheapest or gives you the least qualms.

It's not really like you are comparing Coastal conventional to a VW 504/507. They are all very equivalent.

Completely unscientific, but I used the Havoline Pro DS 5w20 for two changes in my Scion XB. I've always used Magnatec or Edge for years. Valvetrain noise increased and oil consumption increased. This in an engine known for increasing oil use. It's at about 55k mi. now. I went back to Magnatec 5w20 about 2k miles ago. The engine is much quieter and oil consumption dropped from about .75 qt. per 2k mi. to .5 qt. per 2k mi. Results may be unique to this engine. I've also used the 6 qt. Havoline 10w30 HM in my near hoopty '82 slant 6 truck with OK results. Leaked it like any other oil. Evidently their 10w30 HM is syn blend and the non HM is conventional. At about $15 for 6 qt. it's hard to beat on cost.

Back