Havoline Pro-DS 5w30 -- 7,540 mi -- 2014 Mazda 3 with 2.0L

This is the second oil sample of this oil.

Previous 5,305 mile UOA thread can be found ——> ~*~*HERE*~*~

The oil is still is use and has 8,000 miles on it currently. I’m about half way down the dipstick at this point with the two samples. Could technically pull a third @ 10k and still keep driving while I wait for the results. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Code:
OIL Chevron Havoline Pro-DS 5w30 Synthetic 

MILES IN USE 7,540 miles 

MILES on unit 109,458

SAMPLE TAKEN 01/05/2022

Make up Oil 0

Universal Average based on 6,000 miles

ALUMINUM 4 4

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 9 10

COPPER 0 2

LEAD 0 0

TIN 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 260 150

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 1

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 5

POTASSIUM 2 1

BORON 44 82

SILICON 10 12

SODIUM 5 22

CALCIUM 1444 1530

MAGNESIUM 467 459

PHOSPHORUS 683 666

ZINC 784 759

BARIUM 0 0

Values Should Be*

SUS VIS 210* F 55.3 56-63

cSt @ 212*F 8.86 9.1-11.3

FLASHPOINT F 405 >385

Fuel %  
Antifreeze 0.0 0.0

WATER 0.0  
INSOLUBLES 0.3  
TBN 3.3 >1.0

TAN 3.8

Attachments

• 6048C838-EB43-4EFE-B69C-9603D401B6EA.jpeg
    6048C838-EB43-4EFE-B69C-9603D401B6EA.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Good looking report indeed. It has sheared to the 20grade that the engine is actually spec'd for. ;)

It did so well before the 5,000 mile sample. I was hoping it would keep going down to a 0w16 or heck, even 0w8 just to see exactly how thin can it get before a piston decides to divorce from a loving relationship with a bearing. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m fine with it during our Florida winters but I’d be pissed with these results during the heat of the summer. 😤🤬

I'm pretty sure it could make it to 10k without catastrophic breakdown. Is that your current plan, or you playing it by ear?

Oh I’m definitely gonna just blindly push it to 10k for the enjoyment of the community.

This engine has seen nothing but 3k intervals with high end synthetics since new (with the occasional 4-5k run during some oil experiments) and always dumped with 60% oil life remaining. This is the first time I’ve taken it further then 50%. Hahaha. 😅

Good to see this. I use their 0w20 for 7k runs and will be doing analysis this time around.

I’ve always walked by the Chevron when at the oil isle at ChinaMart and never even glanced at it. Once I finally spotted the 6qt box, I tried it out and enjoyed the experience of fighting with the box / draining the leftovers in the bag. Ordered a bunch in 0w20 and even 10w30 when it was on clearance.

Looking forward to your analysis as well.

Moly at 260?? Is that a typo from Blackstone? Seems very high, especially in a 5w30. No?

Im hoping that’s how it should be. This is the second analysis of this exact oil and the previous report showed the same 250ppm of moly. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It can’t possibly be any leftover residue because I flushed the engine with the same oil during a 100 mile rinse prior to this batch going in, to insure there’s no cross contamination with the previous Pennzoil Ultra (60ppm of moly) for my extended oil run with the Havoline. 😁

Wear rates look good.
No contamination to speak of.
I believe 10k is doable if all else stays in line.

Agreed. Doing a Full Send for another 2k miles of city driving to really give it a workout.

I’m gonna speculate that it will begin to thicken back up to a 30 spec by 10k as it gets tired of my constant extended idling sessions as I drop my kid off to school (huge line of cars daily 🤦🏻‍♂️) followed by a dozen trips to Redline before I arrive to work. (Same abusive affair on the way back home once it’s warmed up) I’m honestly impressed by how much abuse this little car has taken thus far without complaint. She’s a trooper.
134202D8-2750-4622-8280-0CCF807C91F2.jpeg

^^^That’s a good lookin’ mazda3 my friend. My daughter had an 2006 - 3i. And when I see these 1st gens, they still look good today & ahead of their time. The 2nd gen? Mehhh, not so much.
Then the 3rd & 4th gen again are great lookin’.

Im hoping that’s how it should be. This is the second analysis of this exact oil and the previous report showed the same 250ppm of moly. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It can’t possibly be any leftover residue because I flushed the engine with the same oil during a 100 mile rinse prior to this batch going in, to insure there’s no cross contamination with the previous Pennzoil Ultra (60ppm of moly) for my extended oil run with the Havoline. 😁
Well then that’s very interesting and an oil I’d like to give a try. For some reason I’m a moly fan - although I wouldn’t know really what it was if I tripped over it - but I favor the higher moly in oils. And the Havoline is priced very well too.

Great report. Handsome car. All the oil's wore well. Think you found your oil. I'd just run a 7500 oci and call it good. Jmo

Last edited:
Great report. Handsome car. All the oil's wore well. Think you found your oil. I'd just run a 7500 oci and call it good. Jmo

It seems to work well with the engine which originally specs 0w20 but I can’t say that I found my go to oil due to the shearing that seems to be taking place. I’m not too impressed with that. 😒😤 I want it to stay in grade, **** it. Is that too much to ask for?! 🤬

I do have the option to set my own OCI in the maintenance reminder system, instead of the “flexible” setting which takes into account operating conditions. It was showing 30% left when I pulled this sample, so there’s still oil life left, if I trust Mazda with my whole heart. I’m gonna push it and see how it looks.

Reactions: FZ1
Back